Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happytobehome_gw

If you bought your soapstone from Old Mill Soapstone....

happytobehome
15 years ago

..... I'd really like to hear from you. We have been to Old Mill for a visit to look at slabs, and just received a proposal for our kitchen. I was very pleased with what I've seen so far, but would like to talk with someone whose countertops were done by Old Mill before I decide. I feel as though I should get other proposals also, although Old Mill is probably closest to us.

TIA

Comments (7)

• berf
    15 years ago

Got a great bid from Sally myself, and loved the looks of their business start to finish. In the end chose otherwise, mainly for logistical reasons. Another person on this list (I want to say louisa something is her email) was shopping with Old Mill around the same time I was and did ultimately use them and I think was very happy--but I'll let her tell it--hopefully she'll see this post.

• louisa_smith03
    15 years ago

hi Berf!

Yes, I am happy with the results. The guy that delivered and installed was a bit grumpy-- he got totally lost in southwest/southeast DC, close to the new stadium. I had to "babysit" him and feed him directions to get him to the house. he was quite freaked out by being in the big city. But I think he did good work. Old Mill doesn't really provide those huge slabs that you can do the whole countertop with no seams, but I think the seams are hardly noticeable and they don't bother me. So tiny that nothing gets caught in them.

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the quick responses!

Louisa, did you look anywhere else before you decided on Old Mill. I'm in Fairfax.

• alice462
    15 years ago

Glad to see that Old Mill has some good reviews, I want to go see their product, just haven't gotten there yet. I have been to Alberene Soapstone and was impressed with their operation -- mined locally and beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alberene Soapstone Company

• louisa_smith03
    15 years ago

I looked at several places inside the beltway. At the time, the old sopastone available was green and I really wanted black/drak grey. But the places said that stock would turn over and other colors would come in. I recall that Old Mill was the least expensive. It was quite a long trip out there on a Saturday, but we made it worth our while by camping overnight on Skyline Drive. It's beautiful country out there!

• florida_joshua
    15 years ago

I had to laugh at the grumpy guy story. . . I remember when I worked a BCS, going into DC was not the most exciting trip. . . I'd have to admit it was not the most fun trying to navigate that area. The TomTom helps out alot but still it's a bit crazy up there. It's good to hear they do good work though. . . I also remember taking many trips through Skyline drive as a teenager, very beautiful country.

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

Friends of mine got their soapstone from Old Mill. They didn't need really big slabs, so limited slab size wasn't an issue for them. Their finished counters are a very different texture than mine though. Mine are silky smooth, theirs are almost pebbled. Lovely, but very different. I also know that they had to help carry the slabs from the truck to the kitchen since the installer was by himself.

They commented on the grumpy guy, but said he grew on them.