Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

Would you put soapstone in a kitchen that you were going to sell?

positano
15 years ago

This is not our forever home, planning to stay 5-7 years. Do you think soapstone would be ok for resale?

And does anyone have any pictures of Julia to show me? It is the only one I would be able to afford at 70sf installed. How do you like it? I would get it from M. Teixeira in Hackensack NJ.

I'm still debating between leathered and antiqued black granite or soapstone. I figure when it's time to sell with the soapstone I can sand and oil it to make it look nice.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Though soapstone is popular on this forum; I wonder if most people are knowledgable about it. However; 5-7 years is quite awhile and you don't know for sure what the future will hold. If you were only staying a year or two I might hold off; but 5-7 years... I'd get what YOU love and enjoy it while you're there. Soapstone is beautiful. Below is a link to all the soapstone counters in the FKB. I'm sure you can read through to see the Julia.

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstone countertops

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

I agree with remodelfla. I've found that not many people are familiar with soapstone. For resale purposes, I think it would be a safer bet with an historic home. But you may wish to enjoy it yourself for the next 7 years.

• User
    15 years ago

In 5-7 years, your "new" kitchen won't be new any more. Any trendy choices that you make now will look dated then. I don't consider soapstone trendy, but it is certainly for a niche customer who doesn't mind patina. Most customers don't want patina. They want shiny and new--always. I don't think that having soapstone counters will help you sell your home eventually, but I don't think that in a 7 year old kitchen that any individualized taste countertop would limit a home sale. A new owner might want an allowance to rip it out if they didn't like it, but it wouldn't stop the sale.

Get what you like, and don't worry about 7 years in the future. However, if this will put you at the limit of your budget, DON'T do it. This isn't the time for blowing the budget on something that you want when something else that is 90% of what you want will be 50% less.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

no. the people here on the forums do not represent the masses. the masses want granite. if it's black it better be uba tuba. soapstone? what's THAT?

• atlbeardie
    15 years ago

I think live_wire_oak put it right. If it's a stretch for your budget and you'll be wondering and worrying for the next 5-7 years about whether you did the right thing and can recoup your investment, then go with granite because it's a "safer" investment.

If you really want soapstone, will enjoy and love it for the next 5-7 years, and the investment won't cause you sleepless nights, then go for it. Five to seven years is a lot of enjoyment -- certainly long enough to justify the investment.

Personally, I love soapstone and am putting it in our new lakehouse kitchen -- but then again, it "fits" with the style of house we're building, and we have no plans to sell.

• sugarbreak
    15 years ago

I sold a home last year with soapstone. (Unexpected job transfer) Many people weren't familiar with it but they liked it. I think they were mostly happy that it was stone and not laminate. (nothing against laminate, more people just seem to want some solid surface) One thing we did do was to print out sheets on soapstone to describe what it is, how to care for it, etc. We always had to restock it so people were taking them.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you to all that responded. I also feel that many people I talk to don't know that much about SS.

There is not much difference in price between the granite and Julia soapstone, although The Brazilian Black that I really wanted was 100sf and really out of the price range.

I appreciate the help once again!