Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cluelessincolorado

Should I keep the masking tape pulls?

cluelessincolorado
12 years ago

Help. Me. Please. I cannot choose a pull for the the life of me and I'm really tired of trying to open soft close drawers with masking tape pulls. The cabinets have a lot grain, to say the least, so I'm trying to stay very simple. Here are a couple shots, sorry about the cell phone quality!

Would these work? The pulls are 4.25" wide and the knobs .75" or 1" wide.

Natural steel or stainless? Thanks for any opinions. No opinions on the bilious green paint, I KNOW what to do with that :-)

Comments (16)

• Fori
    12 years ago

If the masking tape isn't doing it for you, I'd do the dark ones, and just the knobs--no pulls unless you've got something really huge that absolutely needs them. I'm just wondering if those knobs would be much better than masking tape. Can you really grip them okay?

But the less hardware the better--the cabinets don't want them.

I don't mind the wall color one bit. (You may use that as grounds to disregard my advice. Hehe!)

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Clueless, your cabinets are beautiful? Who built them? I agree with Fori, regarding the ORB knobs.

• cluelessincolorado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks fori, I know I should use the natural steel, my like-colored buffet has them, but the stainless is so pretty and shiny!!! I thought the wall color would be great, it annoys the heck out of me. I loved it until it went above the counter. LOVE all that prep work for nothin'.

Thank you milehighdiva, the cabs were built by my GC and the doors/drawer fronts by someone here in town (hour north of Denver). We were following the Linear line by Room and Board. GC warned me off - too modern for the 1912 house - he was right, but I am get a great deal of pleasure from them. I'll hop up on the counter and look at the grain for minutes at a time. I need to get out more...

• Fori
    12 years ago

Modern schmodern--they're wonderful cabinets and it's your home, not a museum!

I think you need the shiny knobs because you LIKE them better. Or maybe you need to get a few of each and drill some holes, insert knobs, and just LOOK at them.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

guilty, I'm a sucker for shiny....I'd probably do the shiny ones because they would make me happy : )

• dianalo
    12 years ago

When I saw the fridge area, I thought the natural ones would be it, but then again, the sink area calls for the stainless. I am not sure which pic's color is more accurate.
    Since both would look good, get the stainless because it is what your gut tells you....

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I like shiny, too, usually. But I'm wondering if it might look like your gorgeous cabs have chicken pox.

I think that since your cabs have so much interest (and who wouldn't want to stare at them), you might want to go quieter on the knobs. I'm usually not a knob person, but I could see them working in your space. Do the larger ones.

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

I like the mix of stainless w/your cabs -

I would purchase a few samples that strike you, do a mock up w/them on the cabs - photo - take votes - decide

I went through my fair share of samples

Here are some of my mock ups -

My problem choosing - they are "worked" - in the end I chose the cricket cage last pic above - cabinet jewelry -

Good luck

• cjc123
    12 years ago

Here are tricks to help with the process, (1) Put string between the painters tape and it helps it not tear (2) Use Stay Putty its a reusable removable adhesive putty that you can get at craft stores to stick the knobs up for you to at least step back for a few minutes to check it out. It won't mark the cabinets at all! Good Luck!

• marcydc
    12 years ago

I think your modern kitchen would look cool with something unobtrusive like this

• advanced
    12 years ago

Your cabinets are outstanding. I personally would not put anything on them that would stand out. IMO you have enough stainless in your appliances and more would spoil the beauty of the wood. Good Luck making a decision.

• Luv2Laf
    12 years ago

I agree wtih marcydc. Ikea has a similar pull. I love how they attach to the back of the cabinet, so you can always change your mind if you find you hate them without ruining your cabinets. You do have to be a little careful as they can 'grab' your clothes (or skin) when you walk by them. But I love them for their simple, unobtrusive look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea STRECKET handle

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Ditto marcydc.

I have seen handles like the ones marcydc linked to.
    I got a 20 feet long strip of extruded aluminum (channel) from which you cut the length you want.
    From a Richelieu hardware distributor.
    Keywords / key numbers for web search are
    " Richelieu 318612170 OR 31861210 "

318612170 Inox Stainless plating on aluminum extrusion
    http://www.richelieu.com/produit/detail.php?no=318612170&fr=pgr

31861210 anodized finish aluminum extrusion
    http://www.richelieu.com/produit/detail.php?no=31861210&fr=rec
    (This one costs about half the price of the Inox one)

You have to cut it to the length you want.
    If you cut it into tiny lengths your cost per handle is next to nothing in dollar terms.
    I cut strips to be as long as possible, the same length as the drawer front.

--

I also got Klippig (at Ikea). Klippig is better than Strecket, in my opinion. It's easier to pull because the grip edge is larger and angled forward. 45 degrees or 30 degrees. With ridges underneath. In 2008 I spent a lot of time on the phone with a senior Ikea person telling him I wanted a handle like this. Nine months later Klippig came onto the market. Perhaps my input was helpful to the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: Klippig has an angled front

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

I like the stainless, but wonder if the pulls will be easy enough to grasp and pull. I'm not a huge fan of knobs, but like these. I don't think the stainless will detract from your gorgeous cabs. Do you have any ideas for a different paint color? From the pics I don't think the green you have looks bad, but if you aren't happy with it, at least it's a relatively easy thing to change.

You had me LOL when you said you hop up on your counters and stare at the grain for minutes at a time--definitely something I would do! DH sometimes walks into the kitchen to find me standing and staring into space as I imagine different floorplans--totally.spaced.out!

• missstella
    12 years ago

I'm in the same place right now. I really like my cabinets the way they are right now so it is tough to "enhance" them--although I am intrigued by the oval knob in the second picture jejvtr posted. I want to know who makes that one.

cjc123 - thanks for the idea to hold up samples.

• cluelessincolorado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, looks like it's split down the middle, exactly where my decision making got me :-). I think I want the stainless, which is actually fairly matte, because the rest of the kitchen is quite dark. LOL breezygirl with the chicken pox analogy - just what I was thinking without the words to describe it. I think that when we can financially get rid of the painted black mdf counters the kitchen will have some more reflected light and I'd feel better about the dark knobs. I do like the pulls, but I had only thought of using them on the drawers. Could I use them both? The kitchen feels very masculine to me and a big ol' slab pull feels like it fits. Thank you ALL for responding, I've run out of time to answer individually, but I appreciate all the input. Mocking up is the way to go, I'll buy samples and come back for votes. Thanks for the instruction about keeping them on the cab w/out drilling. I was holding one from the buffet up to the cabs, but even with my ape arms I can't get far enough away for a good perspective. I really like the unobtrusive pulls, but I'm leery of "clothing catchers". I'm the one always tearing/pulling clothes on various items. I move quickly and not always with awareness of my surroundings. Thanks again!