Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huff6_gw

Help deciding Granite: Key West v. Tropical Brown OAK cabinets

huff6
13 years ago

Hi, all, very newbie here and hopefully I can post some photos as I really need help making a decision. I loved the Key West slabs when I walked thru the granite yard, they really have good color (not too peachy in daylight at all) and quite a bit of dark variation and good "motion". I've seen the tropical brown in my exact kitchen, and it looks very nice but "safe" and I was hoping for something a bit more interesting. I'm limited by budget (no new cabinets) and said cabinets are medium stained oak, definitely not my favorite. Oak floor as well and dark walls.....I am so afraid to make a choice and then hate it as I would have to live with it!! Please comment on the photos I attach as that is an actual door from my kitchen and the actual granite that I have on hold for a few more days.... Thank you in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• dyno
    13 years ago

What's the price difference? We sprung extra $ for Bianco Springs and while we love it, it doesn't get nearly the number of comments that the sink does. Tropical Brown is definitely common but it is also inexpensive and your photo doesn't look especially unique in comparison.

People will be wowed by the overall kitchen and effective coordination of elements. At least that's what we found. If we were to build again I very much doubt we would spend as much on granite.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi huff..

From the one picture I see, I think the Key West looks good with your cabinet. When I picked out my granite, I was sure I wanted something that I thought was special. I had boring Corian counters previously and I didn't want to go that route again. When I saw my granite, I knew it.

If Key West makes YOU say "Wow!" then I would go for it...

KA:)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

granite is just one element in a kitchen. I agree the granite looks good with your cabinets and also agree that it's all the elements together. I also think your cabinets are quite nice.

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

My neighbors recently put tan brown (which is a bit darker than tropic brown) in their kitchen with the existing oak cabinets and it looks great!

I like the Key West a lot and if you want something a little less "safe", and it doesn't break your budget then I would get it. If you need to save some $ (and don't want to be mad at yourself later on for spending the extra money on counters) then the tropic brown is a good choice.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

The key west looks nice in the photo, and I am sure it looks even more beautiful in person. I echo what others say, your cabinets are really nice and warm. The chosen stain makes the grain really stand out, which is lovely, even if it is not exactly what you might have chosen. I also echo the comments to work with what you have - does this counter really compliment your cabinets? That is generally the wow factor from counters. I can see the dark part of the counter pulling out the dark in the grain. I think it could be lovely.

But, totally unsolicited, have you considered something lighter that might brighten the kitchen complimenting some of the warmer lighter tones of the cabinets? You reference that the walls and floors are dark and lighter counter could be a really gorgeous contrast, especially if it has bits and swirls of the darker colors or even some gold. I imagine something with a cream/white background (or whatever works with the oak stain.) I have seen a couple of oak kitchen face lifts and they have had lighter counters and it has really made it look fresh.

That said - I don't think you could go wrong with what you have picked. It sounds like you love it - congrats!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi again huff...

There is alot you can do to your cabinets too,that's not expensive....I mean, you stated that they are "not your favorite." You could paint them or stain them. Have you seen this thread? Scroll down to see the "before" kitchen. I wouldn't settle for a granite. I would really have to love looking at it every day. Changing the look of your cabinets would give you many options, I think!

KA:)

Here is a link that might be useful: magglepuss's beautiful make-over

• huff6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all of your encouragement and ideas! I'm going to look at the Key West again on Thursday and hopefully will come to a final conclusion. I have a decent sized sample at home, and with much help from my mom, I think we have placed it at every conceivable angle in the kitchen for a chance to see how it will look. We like it :) I asked one designer today at another granite warehouse and she thought it was a little bit "matchy", but .... I think the dark ones are too dark in my kitchen. If I knew how to upload more than one photo at a time on here I could post a few more. Your opinions are quite valuable, and I thank you for taking time to comment on my dilemma! -Tracy

• daveaaalandscape_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I had recently( shaker syle )alder cabinets installed in my kitchen and I would like to have 3cm granite installed but have really been struggling choosing thea granite anyone? please help!!
    Thanks Dave.