Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claga_gw

GE Cafe' Appliances Yes or No; Need Your Help Please!

claga
13 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone have the GE Cafe" Refrigerator, Dual Fuel range, and dishwasher?

Do you like them?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• User
    13 years ago

I love my Cafe range, but I bought Profile fridge and DW. Cafe is basically an "upgraded" Profile, and I love the fact that the fridge is stainless wrapped. It'd be great for a modern kitchen where the fridge is a real statement. However, if you want to wrap the fridge in cabinetry, it's overkill, especially on the price.

If this is a case that you're trying for one of the perennial GE rebates, you actually save more money by price shopping individual features of each components and NOT buying any "packages".

• katyde
    13 years ago

I can't comment on function as it is being delivered friday, BUT we are getting the dual fuel range. HOPE it is a good one!
    The interiors of the cabinet depth side by side AND freezer on the bottom refrigerators were completely unacceptable and we went with a Samsung side by side which has loads more usable space, esp in the freezer.

• hotdog_2010
    13 years ago

I have the dual fuel range along with the matching hood/chimney, and the side-by-side fridge. I started using them mid-September and have been very pleased. I like the griddle/middle burner feature a lot, Thanksgiving Dinner for 16 guests was a breeze; oven interior is huge; cooked 16 lb. whole turkey and 10 lb. breast side-by-side with room to spare! Lower oven was great for rolls, pies...I can't speak for the dishwasher as I went w/an integrated model so I could put a cabinetry panel on it (GE Monogram).

The interior capacity of fridge/freezer is fine for us...but we are only a family of 3 most of the time(DD is in college). My 17 y.o. DS drinks a TON of milk, juice, vitamin water, etc. so I keep 2 gallons of milk, 2 half gallons of juice, the bottom storage bin is kept full of waters and I cook daily w/leftovers, etc. and haven't had storage issues yet.

Good Luck!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

We have had the GE Cafe CD refrigerator the past couple of months and we're very happy with it. We wanted a sleek CD FD with no door dispensers. We're only two people, so the space is fine for us. The fridge is pretty quiet. I've never been annoyed by it. It looks very nice inside and out. I know someone with a different kind of FD fridge and I dont' mean to be mean but I think the GE Cafe looks much nicer on the inside. The only complaint we've had so far is that it was freezing some things in the refrigerator but we just adjusted the temp by a couple of degrees and that seems to have taken care of the problem.

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

I have the AG range and the FD frig. Thanksgiving was a breeze! Love the probe, worked as well with my turkey as it did for prime rib. I bake quite a bit, and I haven't had problems with the gas. My kitchen is too small for wall ovens, so I really like the lower drawer oven, even though I wouldn't bake anything too temp sensitive - it's good for casseroles, lasagne etc. After some adjustment I do like the fridge as well. Originally the SS wrap was going to be showing, now will be covered :(, oh well, less fingerprints and dog nose prints to wipe off. I feel like I need more room for produce, but that may be due to the prodigious amounts of greens DH consumes every week. Love the taste, dislike how much room they take up! We are four BTH.

• byronroad
    13 years ago

I have the flat top GE Cafe stove with the two ovens and the GE Cafe fridge. We got the fridge because the front is absolutely clean with the water and ice inside and although it can get a little crowded there is enough room inside to store enough food to feed a family of four. I like the pro-look of the stove and am surprised at the size of the oven given that its convection. We have a Bosch dishwasher with hidden controls and a long handle. We've had Bosch before and really like them for function. This particular one, because of the hidden controls, has a clean front like the GE fridge and the stainless steels are a good match.

• fourkids4us
    13 years ago

Claga, I hope you don't mind me tacking on to your post but I have a question for those who have the GE Cafe gas range. Do you have propane or natural gas? I really like the range, but we don't have natural gas here. I did a bit of research and found some reviews that stated the GE Cafe range w/propane heat is not able to reach the full BTU, especially on the front right burner (sorry,can't remember the specs right now). My friend has the Cafe gas range and LOVES it, but she has natural gas. I've gotten mixed messages b/c I've heard that as long as you use the propane kit b/f installing the range, then it should be fine. But I'm concerned about the output - I don't want to lay out the money for the GE Cafe and then not be able to utilize the burners to the appropriate BTU. So those of you with the range, do you have natural gas or propane? Any thoughts?

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Hi fourkids, we have NG so I'm afraid I'm no help except to reiterate how much I like the range and ditto for DH. It would be a bummer not to access full power on the front burners because they really fire! Compared to my last range it's night and day.

• cache
    13 years ago

After a lot of research, reading everything I could get my hands on here on the forum and elsewhere, changing my mind a dozen or more times, I finally bought the GE Cafe dual fuel range and refrigerator at the end of 2009. I had used an all electric range for over 40 years so buying a range with a gas cooktop was a huge leap of faith for me. I was so sure I would NEVER buy or use gas but I have to say that I am absolutely crazy for the Cafe dual fuel!

I love everything about it--the powerful front burners, the small back burner for simmering or small pots, the center griddle, the convection oven, the lower warming drawer that can also bake up to 450 degrees, the big beefy professional looking knobs. It is only 36 inches wide but looks so much bigger. There was a bit of a learning curve for me in using gas for the first time in my life but once mastered no problem.

I like the Cafe refrigerator as well because of the clean uncluttered front--didn't want water or ice in the door--wouldn't use it. My only whine is that you must open both doors to access the full width bottom drawer. There is only two of us so size isn't a problem but for a larger family, it might be.

It can be overwhelming with so many brands and features but do your homework and I think you'll feel more confident in your final choice.