Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Need your help choosing a kitchen table

redroze
15 years ago

I need help deciding on a kitchen table! We're going to custom order it from a solid wood company so we can create it in the style we like. It will be a 48" round table, and our 4 chairs are parsons armchairs in this fabric. Most of you are familiar with my kitchen or can view my other posts, so I won't bore you with more photos.

I've narrowed it down to these, or please suggest any other round tables that you think may work. A couple of notes: I like the look and feel of wood for casual dining, just worried that it will be too much dark with dark floors, dark island, then dark table. I don't think glass feels as good and worried about all that clinking of dishes on the glass, but it will make the space feel very airy which I like.

1) Traditional Queen Anne wood table:

2) Modern table, wood top with metal base:

3) Glass top with oil-rubbed-bronze iron base:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• raehelen
    15 years ago

1st choice #3, but with the dark chairs...not sure about the glass with the light fabric!

2nd choice #1. Light fabric will break up the dark wood. What kind of finish would you have on the table top? If it's shiny it will reflect light too.

Do not like #2 at all for your kitchen.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One important point I forgot to mention. The parsons armchairs will have dark wood legs stained in a java colour. Like this but with the fabric above.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also, if we get a wood table the wood will not be exactly like our floors OR our island. It will be similar in darkness to our floors, but with a grey tone to it. Like a taupey greyish brown, to make it different from our floors.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

#1. It's classic and beautiful.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Since you asked....:) here is the table we ordered and I am so excited about it:

I like how substantial it looks, like it has a lot of heft. The Queene Anne is too delicate looking for me, and I suspect for your kitchen, which also has a very substantial feel. I do kind of like the glass one, especially if you are looking for a contrast with your dark floors. It is sophisticated and classy, like your kitchen. But I still like wood best. Glass over wood, maybe?

• gglks
    15 years ago

i agree with victoriajane....i'm not seeing the queen anne in your kitchen. i think you are fine with dark wood. the chairs are light, counter are light and cabinets are light so you should be fine. can you find a table thats a bit bulkier?

• positano
    15 years ago

I agree too, I think you need something more substantial in there. I know you didn't want to go too dark, but with the light fabric on the chairs I think somthing like this would look great.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

what positano posted

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

In my mind's eye I've always been envisioning the simplest of round glass tables, with a sleek, clean base, complimenting the clean lines of the chrome barstools I want you to get. (so either a wood or metal base, similar to the base of the Tulip table, and in fact, I would LOVE the wood Tulip table in your space!) Your table will be in front of your backyard window, and I like the idea of the table not diminishing the view. I guess I'm just a contrast-y kind of person: neo-traditional kitchen, modern barstools. Traditional armchairs upholstered in damask, sleek table.

I happen to love a glass table top; I find them a breeze to clean! They can be a little cold, though, which might not be a plus in Toronto .... We used to have a glass breakfast table but when I was pregnant with our first child a few years ago I got scared of glass so we got rid of it, and out of storage came my husband's butcher block table. I don't know if you're planning on having children, but the butcher block table is a bear to clean. My younger son in particular is a messy eater / drinker, so the table is frequently sticky, plus the laddies like to color / glue, etc. at the table, so it's just a mess and hard to clean. With a glass table it would be so easy to wipe it down!

Live and learn.

Okay, so that's me. But for your space I still like the cleanest of table bases with either a glass top or the Tulip table. I know that's none of your choices, but I can't help it: that's what I think!

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I like the Queen Anne look the best, but to me it isn't exactly right. Check out the Harvest table on Pottery Barn. It is a round wood table with a pedestal base. I would keep looking.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm...I see what everyone's saying about a more substantial table. I think my kitchen can "take it", but I was envisioning more of a less is more type of table hence the choice I pointed out. I also don't want the thicker pedestal because I have this pet peeve from growing up, we had a glass dining table with a thickish pedestal and I'm a legs-crossed kind of eater, and I hated that my legs would bump as I was propping them up. So I want the pedestal to be as minimal as possible.

Positano - I expecially love your choice. And Kelleg, very good thought as I was all set to get the harvest table. But it just felt a tad too casual for the room and the chairs. And again, I can just see myself banging my toes on those thick pedestal legs.

A couple of reasons - So as not to block the view through the window which RMkitchen pointed out, not to block the view between the kitchen and adjoining family room, and because I just generally want the eating area to be a daintier/less obtrusive space. That's why we're doing a 48" round and only 4 chairs. We don't plan on having more than 2 kids, and when we entertain small or medium sized groups we'll either do a sit-down dinner in the dining room, or appetizer type stuff that we can munch on around the island. I see us mainly doing a lot of informal entertaining, and for more family gatherings we'd definitely do it in the dining room.

So...I'm intrigued by tulip table idea. Rm brought it up, and someone else in another post who I can't remember. This one has a black marble top with a brushed chrome base, I like the base but would do a different top:

This one is the standard white tulip table which I actually happen to love. Do you think they would work with the chairs?

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Be still my beating heart...I think I've found the tone of table. I'd do a dark wood laminate top, and either this black base or a silver base. Now I just need to find it in a reasonable price. Wish me luck!

{{!gwi}}

• caligal
    15 years ago

How about this? Click on room view to see what it looks like w/ diff chairs. Only $249!

Here is a link that might be useful: CB2 table

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I thought this might give you a little of both. The company is CANADEL. They have many options and finishes to chose from. They are located in Canada but distribute all over the US.Just thougt their website might be worth visiting.
    {{!gwi}}

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caligal, I LOVE the one from CB2 but of course they don't have any CB2s in Canada. I also need a 48" table.

Marybeth, thanks I'll check out Canadel now. They have a neat website where you can customize the tables.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County