Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
back2brooklyn

24'W double trash pullout?

back2brooklyn
15 years ago

We're installing a salvaged kitchen island that formerly had a 24" wine fridge between two drawer stacks. We want to install a flat drawer with double trash pullouts below. What's the best way to do that since it's an unusually wide space for trash? Thanks for any advice.

Comments (15)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

When you ask "What's the best way", are you asking how to install the cabinet? What configuration to use? Whether or not the bins should be mounted to the door? Or how the bins should be seated(rails vs drawer/platform/shelf?

I assume you're talking about installing a trash pullout cabinet...correct? Can you get one to match the rest of the island cabinets? If you have frameless or, possibly, full overlay, the carcass/box isn't as important since it will be covered, but the doors will need to match in both style & finish (& preferably wood species as well). (Then there's the toekick that also needs to match.)

For the pullout itself, I recommend pullouts seated on either rails or shelf and attached to the door so the bins pullout in one motion. I also recommend installing a foot pedal for no-hands opening...very useful when you have messy hands! (details in the thread linked below)

I you want/have to use the full 24", have you considered one of those 4-bin trash/recycle centers?

Here are some examples. All can be attached to a door for easy of use.

http://shelvesthatslide.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=STS&Product_Code=TRWM20FWH&Category_Code=TR

http://shelvesthatslide.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=STS&Product_Code=TR4WCTM-27-4&Category_Code=TR

Another option is an 18" 2-bin pullout + 6" filler pullout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Foot Pedal for Trash OR Tapmaster?

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I don't have any good pics to show what we have, but I'll try to get one for you.

Our trash cab door is "over-sized"--it is the same width as the Miele DW on the other side of the sink, for symmetry. The trash cans hang on rails attached to this door, biased towards one side, and they and the rail system are narrower than the door width. Therefore, the cab itself is divided into two parts (with a pull-out drawer above the trash cans): the larger part is the cabinet "proper" as it were, it is sized to fit the trash cans. Then, there is a narrow, few inch wide, full-height "slot" next to this larger opening. I used it to hold the 3rd oven rack for my range. but it can be used for cutting boards, cookie sheets, or.... When the door is closed, it looks like one cab, but when it is opened, you can see the "slot" on the right hand side, the larger, trash can opening on the left, and the pull-out above that.

Hope this makes sense!

• back2brooklyn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! These are both great responses.

Buehl: Thank you for the links. Had not seen the second one which I like better than the triangular bins. By filler pullout, did you mean what cat_mom describes?

As for the finish, we will probably go for a contrasting look rather than try to match the walnut veneer. Either stainless to match the appliances or black to match the granite. What do you think?

cat_mom: Nice solution! Yes, I do need more tray storage. Can't quite picture how deep it is. Is it hard to reach smaller cutting boards from the top? Would love to see a photo if you have one.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I keep my extra oven rack in that space, and it is wide enough for a 36" wide range. We stood it on one side to fit in the slot, so it comes up pretty high. The depth is the same as the rest of the lower cabs--24" deep.

I took some pics but I have to try to get them onto (into?) the computer. DH usually does that part for me, but he's napping! Let's see if I can do this--be back soon!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I did it! (didn't save 'em where I wanted exactly, but DH can move 'em later!):

This is a shot of the inside of the door. You can see how the rails are somewhat biased towards one side of the door (sorry for the dirty garbage--you can tell I didn't stage this shot!):

Here's a shot of the inside of the cab. You can see the slot on the right, and can just make out the rack sitting in that slot (FWIW, it only fits if I slide it in facing that way. When I tried it flipped over or otherwise, it wouldn't slide in all the way--the plastic screw hole covers on the floor of the cab get in the way):

• Buehl
    15 years ago

No, I was speaking of a pullout with shelves for cleaning supplies, spices, whatever. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink & Base Accessories/Wood Accessories/Filler Pull-Outs - Base

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

bump for back2brooklyn

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

cat mom, that's a great idea. I'm also going to have a 24 inch pullout to match the Miele DW on the other side of the sink. I didn't think to use that extra space on the side. So thanks for the idea!

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

brooklyn, sorry to hijack your thread for a minute.

catmom, do you remember where you got those trash bins, and /or what their width is? They look wider from front to back than the typical ones you find everywhere. Thanks, and say hi to DH.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Our KD/cab guys got the Hailo (Hafele) rails/bins/foot-pedal opener for us and installed them. I know the trash cans/bins take Glad Tall kitchen drawstring bags (tight fit over the rim of the can BTW). They measure 15 1/2-16" wide, and 10 1/2-11" deep F-to-B.

We didn't design the cab that way, so i can't take the credit for the idea. I think it's just the way the cab guys built the cabinet. The door needed to be a certain width, and the trash cans and the rails are probably a set size (we wanted 40 or 50 gal cans), so there was extra unused space...

Hi back to you guys!

• back2brooklyn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks to buehl & cat_mom for your thoughtful advice, links and photos. Both are good options that we'll discuss w/our architect. We'll let you know how it turns out!

Back2Brooklyn

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Thanks Robin. They're a good size for us. I'll try to track them down.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Egganddart,
    Here are the trash cans. They are really expensive. I found some in the UK but the shipping is prohibitive.
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele Euro Cargo Trash can

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Ours is on this page, as is the foot-pedal opener, Debbie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hailo/Hafele trash cans and foot pedal

• debsan
    15 years ago

This is an idea that came to me after my kitchen had already been crafted, but I'll throw it into the mix. Right next to my trash pull out is a very typical wine storage space (narrow vertical shelving. As we were waiting for the kitchen to be completed, we started putting the Saran Wrap, Ziplocs and trash bags in the wine cubbies. Well, each night when I'm putting the leftovers away, I keep thinking that if I had any idea how handy this would turn out, I would have had more of them put in just for this purpose. It's great to be able to pull out a bag or piece of foil up and just stow it away again right where I need it.
    If I had it to do over again, I'd probably put more of these little cubbies in for things that are constantly used, like the can opener, corkscrew, kitchen scissors.

Anyway, pull out or cubbies, narrow spaces offer many possibilities. Of course vertical storage for platters or cookie sheets is another great use.