Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandnsyntax

If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!

sandnsyntax
9 years ago
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market this spring. We redid the kitchen & everyone loves it, including me. White shaker cabs & dark grey granite. The bathrooms, though, need your help. MB is very small, no tub, just a shower. I had marble tile installed back in 2001, but when it got into this room, it turned PINK!. Please help me find a color to draw attention away from the tile. I will purchase a new vanity with fixtures, paint, replace shower door, get a window treatment, and anything else to make it more likeable as long as it doesn't break the bank. I found a transitional vanity in walnut with a ceramic sink top, but am open to grey or white, or whatever. The bedroom will be neutral with neutral carpet.

Comments (175)

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, ok. Just as soon as the sun gets bright this morning, will post. We took down the light fixture and of course, still have the big hole in the wall. But, I really like the new base wall color. I didn't have to go down to the lake and throw myself off the dock after all. Things are looking up....LOL

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The old base paint color was Killim Beige by Sherwin Williams, seen on left side in the overhead for shower. Next to it is Accessible Beige base coat, also shown in rest of photos. Don't know what AB will look like with the metallic finish on top, but I'm game. Of all the metallic paint techniques, SW was the easiest brand for application. Contractor stopping by this PM to give us a start date to take down shower door and fix wallboard. I'm still looking for a vanity light: it must be a 3 bulb down light with a slight arch to the bar. Sacapuntaslapioz, you posted a photo of one on 2/25 above, that I'm trying to find.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the mirror again. It is 21 inches wide edge to edge. Vanity is 31. Thanks all; you give me energy.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

show me the one you like from my post and I will find it for you

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

It is looking good. what an improvement. nice color. will you really need to take out shower door? what if you added a fixture in gold?

• Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    don't spend the money on that shower door! if will make everything else in the bathroom look worse. I would change the vanity and faucet before spending the money on the shower door. I suspect the future buyer will gut the bathroom or live with it until they can.
    sandnsyntax thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

Kelley Dockrey the vanity has been replaced, so is the mirror. read the last 20 or so

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the photo, Sacapuntaslapioz. That was the light I had in mind. Size is perfect, but first, I stood on my head to see how it would look reversed...not...then I drew a sketch out above my mirror. I believe that light is meant for a straight edged mirror because there would be too many curves competing. However, because of the size, I do think a two globe light will work. I found one yesterday that reminds me of this one and will post it later. On the shower door, I will speak to Bill (contractor) again about it. I felt it could not be painted because of the plastic seals that run within the frame. I'll get his feedback again. I agree with Kelley that the new buyers will have an option to expand the shower--they could easily go about two feet back since there is only a linen closet on the other side of that wall. Just blow it up and start over...maybe they'll let me activate the switch..

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like this light, but it's over budget and maybe too wide at 20".

http://www.elklightinglights.com/product/elk-lighting-arches-bathroom-lights-10031-2.html?page=1.

• Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

Not sure if anyone mentioned painting the brass around the shower. It's easily done and taking it to chrome or stainless finish will modernize in an instant. Very easy to do yourself!

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I see what you mean. But You should not try to match the curve. Just get a beautiful light that has some curves to it.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Barbara, thank you. The contractor looked at it again tonight and we don't see a way to deal with the plastic seals lining the interior of the door and frame (for waterproofing). Doesn't seem to be a way to remove them, and paint won't adhere. It just has to come down.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snowstorm underway. Meantime, I ordered a vanity light which is 18" wide and simple. Elk Lighting (beautiful fixtures) must be Westmore at Lowe's because it is the same design, with good consumer reviews. Returns are a piece of cake too.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_2780-60051-BB12071_1z0ztpm+1z10fj9+1z10wbu__

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS: Should anyone need another bathroom light source, here is a company, Lighting New York, that will discount and send you a confirm e-mail if you phone them. Here is a link to their page and the other light I loved but thought too wide for my 21" mirror.
    http://www.lightingnewyork.com/product/elk-lighting-arches-bathroom-lights-10031-2.html?page=1
    Time to go make snow angels.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

Great. so excited to see this coming through

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

pictures please!!!!!!

• teeainttelling
    9 years ago
    I think you could waste a lot of money here without much return. Unless you are willing to retile there is not a lot to do. Paint, kill the cabinet and vanity. Pull that awful shower door off. You could replace it will a framed glass door for not a ton of money. That is absolutely all I would do.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

teeooh, much of that done.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sacapuntaslapioz, because it's the weekend, I got stuck Saturday when I discovered that Sherman Wms does not have a glaze for the beige that I selected. The staff should have known it, but now I have to wait till Monday for solutions. I have found that Ben Moore has a pearlized glaze as well that might work as long as it does not have to be sprayed. Frustrating.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

do you need the glaze?

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had my heart set on it, but the present paint is really cool. I will surrender only if I must.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your patience. I've not been slacking. The contractor will come Monday to work on M_Bath, then I can paint. Got the right paint with the new glaze and will do a board tomorrow. Meantime, we are painting the master bedroom: Stone Lion by Sherwin Wms, a pretty taupe, behind the canopy bed and outer wall. Maybe a soft white on the other walls or bring in some of the Accessible Beige from the M_Bath. There is a chair rail that runs around the room. Cheers!

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

Getting to the zero hour to list?

Good luck with all the work/

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

how is it going?

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL. Thanks for asking. Just ordered the plumbing fixtures for installation, the big bath vanity is here, picking up replacement tile for under vanity, contractor coming back tomorrow to caulk hole fill-ins in 2 baths, must get the big shower doors to body shop asap. Must seal the tiles so they can install. Whew! After a lull, when it rains, it pours.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

aghhh lots of work. get pics too/

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You bet!!

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have photos by Monday PM or Tues at the latest. We've been working on two bathrooms with delays, mistakes by vendors, a leak the plumber caused when he didn't spy a misplaced nail that gleefully punctured the copper plumbing during an evening shower and sent a waterfall down through my lovely, freshly painted dining room ceiling. Did I mention I'm never buying another house? LOL

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

OUCH.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sun will come out tomorrow!

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Progress made today. I'm in love with the crown molding idea; thanks Sacapuntaslaploz. As you can see, still in need of a glass shelf above the toilet, accessories, towel bars and art. I have a couple of seascapes in sepia that I plan to do a white glaze over and paint the frames silver. We are removing the shower door and I'm making a tall shower curtain to tie back, thus the fabric on view for it and a window curtain. I need your input on whether to leave the vanity white or paint a little darker than the walls? Will purchase a neutral rug (small) to put in doorway. Ideas welcome.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

wow. sensational transformation. Love the vanity, mirror and fixture. if you can swing it I would not do towel bars. I would not add a shelf over the toilet. Just some art. keep it simple and let next owner figure what they want to do with towels

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

look at wayfair for shower curtains, all lengths, also B,B &B

sandnsyntax thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    8 years ago

Hey did you list your house? post pictures of the completed bathroom, please

sandnsyntax thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OMG! We left the dining room ceiling open to dry out after the plumbing disaster in the hall bath and discovered a leak from the MB shower as well, small but caught in time. Here is what MB looks like because it is still in progress. I get new tile in the bottom, installed hopefully this week. The hall bath is 80% done, window treatment and art left. I have to say how pleased I am that contributors encouraged us to remove glass shower doors. What a difference it makes, even in the MB. More pix as soon as I have more to show.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    8 years ago

OUCH.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Remember I was working on the hall bath as well. It's almost completed; I took the inspiration from a painting that I found at the Home Goods. Although it looks blue to me, the wall

paint is actually gray.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    8 years ago

looking good. congrats.

• Kari P
    8 years ago

Oh goodness, pink. My bathroom was tiled in 50's pink square ceramic/porcelain tiles and I couldn't stand it. I'm redoing it now, but had considered quick fixes before I decided to remodel.

I think a soft dove gray would keep the room light and bright but subdue the pink a bit. Use a gray/white color palette to prevent the master bath from seeming dark and confined making the pink tile take center stage.

sandnsyntax thanked Kari P
  • PRO
    MARK SIDELL DESIGNS
    8 years ago

Make this simple...blow out the hideous vanity and replace with matching pedestal sink. The rest is fine.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mark, thank you. I replaced the old vanity with a Carerra Marble topped vanity with slanted edges. Not only does it provide much needed, storage, but the edges actually give us more room.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hopefully, our tile should be in this week, and the master will be finished.

• Kari P
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is what my 50's pink bathroom looked like when I bought my house (it's currently partially demo'ed).

You might also want to consider/play around with lighting options in the bathroom. Certain light sources will look more blue while others will look warmer. Having the right light might help neutralize the pinkness of the marble. But also consider those light sources with whatever other pieces you add. Your marble has a very warm quality to the pink and the gold fixtures on everything is not helping because it makes the cool high seem harsh and the warm light seem brassy.

If you can replace all of the gold metal fixtures with anything else it would help neutralize the warm/pink of the tiles a LOT. Chrome or brushed metal (nickel or stainless) would help the marble seem more modern and upscale. Oil rubbed bronze would still have the warm tones, but it would actually go well with the pink (and those who have suggested dark wood tones for the vanity, mirror frame, and other components). Chrome is usually the cheapest and one of the mostly widely available, while oil rubbed bronze is usually the most expensive and for certain components you are only going to find it on higher end options, so that is something to consider if you are just planning to sell the house anyway. Make it look nicer and make the small changes that will help it sell, but don't break the bank customizing it for someone who may have completely different tastes than you anyway.

sandnsyntax thanked Kari P
  • cheyena
    8 years ago

Been there , done that, yuck! lol Expresso is a nice wood color for vanity, or black. I was where you were once, i figured, if i cant win this, join them. The pink window curtains matching the shower curtain was great, and had a black cabinet with white sink. My wall paper (on one wall only ) was black with pink tulips :P . The rest of the walls, white. i sold the house , made 30K over price i paid, just 7 months later. We put only $1500.00 work (part of that was to rent a machine to lift up the sinking bathroom floor). Nice pocket change at the time!

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL. Love the black with pink tulips wallpaper. NOT! Thanks to all for sharing the battles with pink. I actually love the look of my bath now that it is repainted in a pearlized beige with silver crown molding and new chrome fixtures. Replacing the tile in the bottom of the shower was just unexpected. Hopefully this will be finished this week.

• User
    8 years ago

Do post a picture of the finished room.

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will Advira. The shower floor is finished and updates the look as much as it can. Don't have the shower curtain up yet, but as soon as SO puts up the rod, we are good to go. Thanks for asking.

• alwaysdesigning
    7 years ago

How did this turn out for you?

• sandnsyntax
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Always, thanks so much for reminding me to come back and reread all of the generous and creative ideas so many shared. It was awesome, and not for naught. This July I put my home in TN on the market so we could finish up here. My realtor helped me get it ready in one month, a monumental task for an estate property. So I know that this home should never have sapped our energy and pockets as it did. The good news is we began taking listing photos last week to go to market. We had so much rain this year that moss and mildew grew on our back roof, sides of house, and foundation. We are soft power-washing and re-landscaping this week---To list this coming weekend. Shall I post a few prelim photos?