Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
omoge25

Family room sectional?

omoge25
9 years ago
We bought a Beautiful sectional, I am just not sure if it is too much. How do I tone it down? The current configuration Is very comfy and cozy while sitting in the family room but looks a bit overpowering when looking in from the foyer. What do you think? Is there a better layout for this sectional?
Excuse the mess :)

Comments (23)

• omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just realized my pics aren't the best. I'll take better ones tmr.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    The sectional looks well proportioned in the room.
    omoge25 thanked Dytecture
  • User
    9 years ago
    I see you have a green thumb. If it is just the view from the foyer that is bugging you, you might find that just putting a nice big plant on the wall before you turn into the kitchen a great way to break up the look.
    omoge25 thanked User
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks for all the comments!

cfollowell,

I am hesitant to remove the half wall since we have living room space before the dinning room. It is currently unfurnished and I am worried once we do furnish it my house may end up looking like a furniture store. I added a picture below .

sooz001,

Thanks for the plant Idea, I'll try it!
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Slightly better pics
  • abb_ann
    9 years ago
    I think a nice smallish reading chair with a lamp next to that pony wall would balance the massive sectional. It looks nice but maybe remove a section so it is only on the wall and not protruding out. Good luck
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Options we tried previously
    Option 1
    This option doesn't block any doorways but somehow doesnt feel cozy or comfortable when watching tv.

• omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Options we tried previously
    Option 2
    The last picture was taken sitting on the couch...I am not sure I like the combined view of tv and kitchen.
  • motupeg
    9 years ago
    In your post the sofa is in the doorway. In option 1 the sofa blocks the window. I like option 2 better, but center it if it wasn't on the large wall. Then you can add lamps, and artwork. A media cabinet would be nice for your t.v. when you are able to make another purchase.
    omoge25 thanked motupeg
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    hi motupeg,

The issues we had with option 2 are the tv wall is so small so we are left staring at the kitchen. Also centering the sectional on the large wall puts the tv way off center. It is already slightly off center.
  • motupeg
    9 years ago
    OK. I misunderstood your layout. Can I ask, is the dining room the first room off of the foyer?
  • Janie Burton
    9 years ago
    I'm really interested in your dining room chairs. Could you tell me where these were purchased? I think you should consider a new light fixture over your dining table. Have your electrician center it over the table and at the proper height above the table and look for an elongated industrial style which would add a lot of design impact to the dining section of your room.
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi motupeg
    There is a living room space before the dinning area. We are not sure what to do with this space either. Lol
    I'm sorry for the quality of the photos. There is too much light to take a decent pic
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Janiehburton,

Yes we plan to change the light fixture soon, but were not sure of what to go with. thanks for the idea!
    We live in Ontario Canada and I believe we purchased them at mega furniture.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    You seem to have found the placement that works best for you, and the issue now is filling in the rest of room. Adding a floor to ceiling panel (painted facsimile would be fine ) to the wall behind the TV will strengthen that side of the room and make a much better visual.
    You could also use some better accent pillows - the colour is fine, but they could use more substance, a sizable coloured throw, curtains ( just to the bottom of the windows, or so) and a coffee table that contrasts w the sofa- you may just want to spray paint the legs of the one you have. The wall shelves may do better over the couch...or another room.
    Consider removing the plant from its time-out ( am I seeing a white plant stand it could live on?) and angling a new chair into that space with a splashy side table and lamp - yes, I am suggesting you add furniture. :)
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hubby got slightly better pics
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    I was writing while you were posting - have you considered trading dining and living room spaces? From the photos, your dining area seems a better fit with your sectional?
  • motupeg
    9 years ago
    I was thinking the first thing sudio10001, but don't know if you have cable for the tv set up already in your present room.
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    studio10001,

Are you saying to keep the layout from the original posting? and make the modifications to that?
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    Yes, as that is the layout that is working for your family.
  • omoge25
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    studio10001,

We thought about that but I'd really like to be able to keep an eye on kids in the family room while in the kitchen....