Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trenton_177

Buckeye seedlings

Trenton_177
9 years ago

There's public areas that are unmaintained and overcrowded with invasive shrubs by my house, so I intended on removing some invasive buckthorn and honeysuckle shrubs and supplanting them with native trees as well as non invasive and interesting trees like Dawn Redwood. I want to give back to my area before I'm off to college, but my main issue is damping off. It has taken the life of all of my Austrian pine seedlings so far. There are two small/medium buckeye trees in front of my school that produce a plethora of buckeye seeds. I'm not sure if the type is native to my area or not, but I'm guessing it's a hybrid or an Ohio buckeye. When they fall the shell tends to be slightly spiky, light green to yellow, and often contains more than one nut. Any thoughts? Are buckeye seedlings prone to damping off like many other plants? I can't find any information on that. Are all plants prone to damping off?

Comments (6)

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    9 years ago

In my experience damping off disease is usually the result from keeping your seedlings too wet and too warm. If your seedlings are in a warm place I think it is better to keep them on the dryish side. Ventilation might also help to prevent damping off disease.

Some species are more prone to damping off dieseases than others. I tried sugar pine / Pinus lambertiana several times but each time the seedlings died of damping off disease.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Best idea...germinate outdoors. That tends to be agreeable or the species would have died off.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

this last fall ...

i put a dozen or so chestnuts.. into a 10 gal pot... with proper tree media ... and covered them with hardware cloth ... and left them outdoors until late nov ... and then moved them into the polebarn for winter storage ... i expect near total germ in spring ...

growing trees in the house.. is very hard ...

ken

• corkball
    9 years ago

Buckeye seeds are really easy to grow. They will almost all germinate assuming you don't make them rot. Stick them in the fridge. I put them in a open ziploc bag of sand with a damp paper towel in it. I wouldn't recommend trying to grow now because of cold requirements, taproot issues during transplant, and possibly what you are describing about the seedling not being happy in the warm dark house.
    When ground thaws, plant ASAP. Buckeyes tolerate the cold temps in spring and are one of the first trees to green up (one of the reasons I like them). If you wait too long they shoot out a really long taproot, and it makes them hard to plant.

• Trenton_177
    Original Author
    9 years ago

corkball, sorry, I should have mentioned that I already put them outside in my tank of soil. I was wondering if I would have needed to take them out late winter and sterilize the soil before they germinate in spring. But I'm assuming their not that prone to damping off if they're easy to grow like you say.

This post was edited by Trenton_177 on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 11:43

• corkball
    9 years ago

hmm, well you might be wetter than us, but I have NEVER had any issues with seedlings getting sick and dying. Just make sure water has a way to drain out of your tank, and transplant as SOON as you can - they will sprout and put out an 8" taproot before they even break the surface.
    As far as I can tell, buckeyes LIKE it damp and cool, but maybe someone else has seen issues with seedlings further east than MN.