Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basic_gw

A blow to Low Glow

basic
9 years ago

I purchased this Pinus densiflora cultivar a few years ago and other than being run into and over by vehicles, it has done very well. My spouse dinged it shortly after planting while backing the pickup out of garage, and I also nicked it a few months later doing the same. I then decided to always back the truck into the garage, thinking this would prevent such trauma. Wrong! My son-in-law came over to borrow the truck and snow blower this past weekend and you can see what happened. The not-so-funny thing is I had just told him to be careful of the tree, which was under snow at the time. About a minute after I told him this he came into the house and said, "You know that tree you told me not to hit,..."

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i often suggest.. with various plants.. that they are RUN IT OVER WITH THE TRUCK type plants .... lol ...

but i dont think i would suggest such for this pine ...

prune out the broken stuff come spring.. and see what happens ...

i dont think we need to talk about the original siting .... who ever put it there.. is the one who is responsible ....

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

That's one way to keep it 'Low Grow'

tj

• basic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, you're absolutely right about the siting. It was definitely my mistake, but I still took the opportunity to chew him out. ;)

Good one, Tsuga.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

You actually lucked out with where you put it as it can get buried by the snow.

My Low Grow got smoked last winter, one of the killed outright plants. Although this particular cultivar is a hybrid, Pinus densiflora just doesn't do well in the winter sun. .

Get you're self some driveway markers next year.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

my low glow got freakin butt ugly after a decade ..

it bummed me out..

if i could only get the truck back there to run it over.. i would be happy ...

ken

BTW .. the truck died 3 years ago ... so now i am wondering if i can do the same with an old grand marquis ... God i miss my truck .... though i bet if you sent sonny boy over.. he could do it... lol ....

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

I guess I will go ahead and ask the stupid question. Why is it planted so close to the driveway? Wouldn't you think maybe a move is in order so it can free range without having to endure the car tire. Just asking...

Dave

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Dang Basic, I hate it when that happens !
    Heres a photo of mine in the no drive lane...
    Best of luck
    Al

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

I would call this a low blow! Poor 'Low Glow', This one really lends itself to aesthetic pruning and shaping so you may be able to turn it into an interesting shape...depends on how structural the damage is. I have two and they look completely different as I have pruned them into very different shapes. Have some fun with it! (AFTER you move it!)

Sara

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Wow...I guess he's never driven a long wheelbase before?

• basic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, I'm asking myself the same question. This conifer is off the main driveway and is planted next to a turnout and apron leading to a garage I built a couple of years ago. While there's very little traffic into the garage (the pickup sits for weeks on end), it has a fairly severe curve into the truck stall, which creates the problem. I didn't think this would be a major issue when I laid it out, but was I ever wrong about that! The curves are aesthetically pleasing, but functionally it leaves a lot to be desired.

The good news is he missed the main stem, so maybe it will survive and eventually fill out. I like your advice, Sara, and will use it as an experiment to see if I can sculpt it into something of interest. I'll definitely be moving it, but not sure where at this time. Most likely to a place where I can partially hide the damaged section.

Will, do you think last winter was possibly an aberration for 'Low Glow'?

Ken, my truck is a '96 Chevy S-10. A bucket of rust at this point, but has hauled a lot of plants and mulch over the years and it would definitely be missed. :)

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Basic, sculpting it is the fun part! You don't have to worry about growing a 'perfect' specimen. It will eventually fill in and look relatively boring if you just leave it alone.
    My neighbor gave me a small Picea abies, 'Nidiformis, Bird's Nest Spruce, that his horse stepped on. It was smashed pretty good, but alive. I had a lot of fun pruning it over the years making it look like a giant bonsai. (Niwaki)
    I've neglected it over the years and it could use another major pruning job, including a couple of trunks. That's going to take some courage!
    Mike
    {{gwi:2123863}}

This post was edited by mikebotann on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 4:24

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

basic- My densiflora 'Little Christopher' took a major hit after last winter as well. What remained was green this past summer and fall but it is looking bad at the moment. I'd keep yours snow covered in winter. Mine was in its spot for 10 years and exposed -20F in the past but last year's quick onset and duration (if not depth) of cold spells did a number on it.

tj

• basic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your input. Maybe I'll just leave it where it's at, but turn it so the damaged section is facing away from the main view. There's a pretty good chance it will get run over again. Now that should make for an interesting conifer. ;)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!