Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dstefan

Can you ID this succulent?

dstefan
9 years ago

My brother-in-law in Southern California gave me this succulent. He doesn't know what it is, but it grows readily for him in pots. He has propagated it several times from cuttings. It looks like a cactus, but I know it's not. The tips of the branches are pink and it has some big spines on the main stem, but they are very sparsely distributed.
Can anyone identify this for me? Also,and this is probably stretching it, would anyone know how this might fare in the Phoenix heat? It seems pretty tough but is used to the Laguna beach area. I'm guessing it might do okay outside in the shade during the Phoenix summer.
Thanks!

Comments (4)

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Looks like Euphorbia mammillaris aka Corn Cob Euphorbia.

Someone else can tell you how to grow it in AZ.

Nancy

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

This is Euphorbia mammillaris var. variegata. I have a smaller one myself. Mine is indoors in Massachusetts.

Christopher

• dstefan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Nancy and Christopher for the ID.
    I kind of thought it might be a Euphorbium. From some information I found on the Daves Garden forum, these do pretty well in Phoenix. They like dry and sunny but need some afternoon shade here. I'm kind of surprised my brother-in-law's are doing so well because he waters the crap out of them and they get a lot of atmospheric moisture as well as being planted in nothing but super soil.
    Thanks again!

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

That is a very forgiving species of Euphorbia. Even survives cold down to 20F