Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphnexduck

Roses - when to transplant

daphnexduck
9 years ago

I'm planning to re-do lots of my garden this year. I have several roses that now get too much shade and I need to move them. I read this on the Rose Forum FAQ: 'The best time to move a rose to make sure it will survive is in the late fall or early spring.'

When is the best time to move a rose here in the PNW? Should they still be dormant or should I wait until they are starting to leaf out?

Thanks so much, and my roses thank you, too.

Daphne in Tacoma

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Dig and replant now, if there is a lot of cutting of the roots during the process then cover the tops if a serious cold spell comes before they have a chance to root out (this won't happen until the tops starting growing in spring).

Reason to get on it is modern roses in particular start to grow very early (next month) in USDA 8 - and you don't want to be cutting the roots after the new top growth starts. It won't kill them but if there is enough damage the first set of new growth may even shrivel, with the plant having to start over again.

• daphnexduck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, bboy! As always, great advice.

I assume I should cut the old canes back but should I do that now or wait till they start to leaf out? Back to about a foot tall? I'll be transplanting all types: some minis, one tea and one climber.

Daphne in Tacoma

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Cut back healthy canes only for convenience in handling or to manage growth - it does not assist the plant in any way. In fact, the more stem growth you leave the more new root growth (and top growth) will occur afterward - energy stored in stem and root tissue over the winter is what fuels new spring growth.

The hard top- and root-pruning newly received roses often get at garden centers serves to stunt their growth and keep them from overwhelming the often rather small pots that are used. Kinds that bloom readily on new growth will still produce enough flowers that same spring to enable them to appeal to shoppers, go out the door.

Roses being cut low each year in other settings are being managed by people who either don't know any better or prefer smaller tops with fewer canes.

• daphnexduck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, bboy, you have confirmed all my intuitive feelings about transplanting and pruning. Thank you so much! To 'cut back healthy canes only for convenience in handling' is exactly what I suspected I should do.

I'll post in the spring how the plants did.

Have to get out ASAP and prepare the sunny bed where the roses will go.

Daphne in Tacoma

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

If you are talking about amending the bed, don't. Just loosen the existing soil and plant in that, mulch afterward - definitely do mulch.

Organic matter on top of the bed, yes. Organic matter inside the bed, no.