Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahamadan

Sugar Apple Leaf Problem

Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar Apple tree? Here is a photo of the leaves; I'm not sure if it's deficient in a nutrient or something?

Thanks,
Dan

Comments (11)

• gnappi
    9 years ago

All mine look like that every winter. They'll fall off and new growth will pop out. I don't think you have to worry. Whatever you do don't go drowning them with water and fertilizer.

• euricolemos
    9 years ago

This is a disease called anthracnose cause by a fungus called Colletothrichum gloeosporioides. Very common in high humidity. The leaves will drop, but the buds will sprout again.

• euricolemos
    9 years ago

As the leaves dropped prune the branches trimming the tips. The new buds will come with nice flowers. Don't forget to feed the tree. Good luck!

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

Gnappi, I'm glad to hear it's nothing to worry about. This was taken in our "winter" (if you can call it that, mostly warm this year but I suppose with it being our dry season that could've induced winter-like symptoms in the leaves as well), I'll have to remember to check out the tree to see if it's rebudding now. And I don't fertilize or water this tree at all, it's in our backyard in a line of fruit trees, mostly huge mango trees, so it gets natural rainfall and a huge amount of leaf litter from the other trees that breaks down over time.

Euricolemos (nice name), I'm not so sure this is anthracnose. From what I understand of the condition, if such were the case it would affect the fruit as well? All our sugar apples from the trees in our yard are always unblemished even if the trees have leaves like this which leads me to believe it's a environmental/conditional response to something rather than an affliction. Also anthracnose is progressive yes? The leaves just keep these burned-looking margins for weeks/months at a time without dying off. Your thoughts? We have a bit of the fungus on mangoes; especially when they bloom, so I'm roughly familiar with it.

How far back should I prune the branches/the tree? I don't believe they've been pruned much at all (if ever) so that sounds like a really good idea. And what should I feed it? I have some Sunniland 6-4-6 with most micros that's a granular slow-release, sounds good? Also most of our trees have grass under them, if I spread out the granular will the grass just absorb it before they tree can be fed or should I just use a heavier amount to compensate for the grass taking some?

Thanks again for the responses! I look forward to the replies,

Dan

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a photo of one of my gram's trees, the new growth looks kinda chlorotic aye? And you can see on some of the older leaves the same burned-looking problem I was talking about:

• User
    8 years ago

Your sugar apple tree lacks iron. To increase iron put sulfur to absorb iron.

BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics thanked User
  • HU-523215913
    4 years ago

Good day I have a question

There are flies my sugar apple tree is there anything that I can use to get rid of them these are regular

• rashidshak
    4 years ago

Hello Hu-523215913

I would suggest to leave the flies on your sugar apple tree as they would help with polination during flowering. But if the flies gets bigger in numbers and you worry about getting stung I would get some spray that would kill flies without hurting your tree.

• HU-478451682
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

custard apple tree planted in container past sum turning like this any help/advice please

• M K
    2 years ago

Hi,

I have a sugar apple tree that I had planted last summer. I live in California, between zone 9b and 10a. In December last year we had heavy rainfall followed by a month of drought and warm temperatures. The tree got defoliated early January. It's been warm now with temperatures in mid 80s and 90s and still my tree has no leaves or buds. Does anyone have any advice or ideas ?