Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21350825

Bar Stools and Islands (how many per island)

User
9 years ago

Hello can you show me pictures of your islands, let me know measurements,and how many bars stools you have?
I thought this really was dependant on your bar stools but is the general rule really 24" of space per person? I've also read 30? yikes.
I have 88" of usable seating space on one side of my island. I was hoping I could fit 4 stools there, the stools I want are about 15 inches in diameter - per website.
My thought was buy five, have four out and one in the corner of my kitchen to pull up. For actual eating two can go on the sides of the island and three can remain on the "front".
now I'm not so sure I have enough space.
Thank you very much.

Comments (27)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

if it helps I'm looking at these

Here is a link that might be useful: Stools

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Well, the recommendations are there for more than the stool itself. You have to allow for the width of the person sitting there, space for them to move their arms with elbows somewhat out to sides to go through eating/cutting motions and not hit the person next to them. Obviously, more children can sit there than adults.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That makes sense. I'm wondering if anyone has put four stools on that size island. As that would be a little less than 24. For spacing and looks while no one is sitting there is it okay? And of course is that functional

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Four stools would only allow you 21" of space per person. Pull out a yardstick and look at how much space that is -- or, more accurately, how much space that isn't. Three stools would fit comfortably in that space.

Don't push things to the maximum; you'll end up with a crowded look.

• User
    9 years ago

Go sit at a diner counter. Feel how awkward it is to have your personal spce invaded. Measure how much sace they allow. It will be miimal, because space is money. You don't want to go below 24'' per person, as that's for kids and very good friends.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

It depends on who you want to sit there and how often. Yes, the recommendation is for 24" minimum.

We managed to squeeze 4 bar stools under our 84" island in our former home. We have 7 kids, so I wanted to fit as much seating in as possible. What I found was that we seldom used all 4 seats at once. 2 or 3 would have been adequate for us.

It looked ok, but didn't function well for seating 4 people in a row. In fact, even with the 24" + recommendation, I wouldn't do 4 people in a row seating as a first choice again. It's terrible for trying to communicate as a group. I'd much rather do 2 seats on one side and 2 or 3 around the corner or on the other side. As it was, I'd often take the end stool and slide it around the corner so that DH and I could face each other. This forced me to sit sideways because there was no leg room at the end, so it wasn't all that comfortable.

When we had big groups of people over, we did use the stools for spinning to face the couches in the sitting area and join in the group conversation, though. I have to admit, these stools were uncomfortable for long chats like this.

I'll link our old kitchen below so that you can see how the stools fit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laughable's Farmhouse Kitchen Reveal

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laughable thank you! a picture is what I needed, I'm horrible at picturing things in my head, so much so that I have to take painters tape and tape out areas if I'm looking at it
    I see now that there's no way I could fit 4 stools in there even if I wanted to as I have two "legs or columns on either end of our island. :(
    so I could MAYBE get away with three but it might even be two! I'll take my tape and measure in between that spot today.
    ugh I so should have thought of that before.

Thank you so much everyone for your input, I'm open to seeing more pictures and hearing your thoughts also

• Pinebaron
    9 years ago

We spent over a day arguing before we agreed on an island design we both loved; this is exactly how it will look except for granite which depends on what is available at time of build. Island will be 10'x5' with an 18" wood shelf surface 7 1/2" above island having 15" overhang for just three stools. End island overhang and three stools was simply to add a little touch to the island; to the left there will be a 16' long casual dining butcher block type of table for 14.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just realized that I only have 75in of actual space, I forgot about the posts on front!! Ugh. Thank you everyone. Looks like I may end up with way less seating than I thought. Talk about frustrating. Pinebaron what a lovely lovely space! Thank you I love seeing pictures

This post was edited by peas on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 7:40

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I have 92 in of usable space and 4 stools with plenty of space between stools. In our situation, we knew we'd never be sitting 4 in a row, eating. And we haven't (kitchen finished a year ago). They are used when entertaining, they are pulled out, sat in sideways, whatever. But there is plenty of space even though there isn't 24 in of space per person.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Whatever happened to padded barstools with arms? None of these stools looks vaguely comfortable.

• julie1973
    9 years ago

Practigal - I can tell you that my acrylic stools are super comfy albeit without arms. They are actually called the "one more barstool" and the item description is "sometimes you need one more drink and a comfy place to sit" When we read that we were sold!!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much. I may get 3 stools for decor. And for actual sitting we will just deal. My kids are small also. We don't backs or am rests on the bar stools we've had

• emma
    9 years ago

I would put in as many as needed and looked good. I have two tools and probably room for 4, but there is no need. With 2 the area does not look crowded. I would hate to eat at a full bar rubbing elbows with others and being unable to get up when I need to.

• llucy
    9 years ago

My island is 76". We keep 2 padded stools on the long side, and 2 others nearby that can be brought over to use at the ends when we have company.

What I have found is that no one really sits at the island for long stretches. People sit, then get up, stand on the non-seat side of the island, lean back against a counter, go sit elsewhere, and drift back when a seat opens up again at the island. Reminds me of the game musical chairs when we entertain. :) It really works fine though.

So I would suggest you purchase as many stools as would actually fit around your island for entertaining purposes, but understand that fewer stools are more comfortable for every day dining. For adults anyway. Children don't seem to mind the crowding, so islands can make ideal "kiddy tables".

• Randa Samaha
    8 years ago

ck_squared, where did you get your bar stools? They are lovely.

• rebeccamomof123
    8 years ago

My peninsula is also 88" and we have 3 chairs at it. It's comfortable and offers ample space for dining, and enough workspace for all 3 kiddies to do homework side by side. Any less space and it may feel tight. The d go with 4 and keep one aside for overflow only, not for everyday use.

• peasblog
    8 years ago

I ended up with four! but we still pull them around the island when we sit unless it's just the kids on the one side thanks everyone !

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We don't use our island stools except for "perching" and still we have 60" for 2 stools and I don't think I'd want any less (and we're small people). I guess I just like my "space".

• peasblog
    8 years ago

they all fit under there, when we sit we just pull them to the sides if need be.

• isabel98
    8 years ago

even three in a row we don't tend to use. I wish I would have made room to do two at the peninsula and 1 at the end and 2 around the corner facing the living room. we currently could fit 5 at our peninsula with one at the end but only with kids does that ever happen. they love it though:)

• ck_squared
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Randa Samaha - Thank you. They are from CB2, the Vapor Bar Stools.

CB2 Vapor Bar Stools

• oliviadewilde
    6 years ago
    What is standard stool height? I got 29” stools. Will that be too high?? Thanks
  • Dragon Ryder
    6 years ago

This is a great calculator for how many stools depending on counter length:

How Many Stools Do I Need

• cynwithpet
    5 years ago

does anyone discuss the space needed behind the stools? I don't have complete open space behind but cabinetry and I'm trying to calculate if I can have seating and cabinetry and walking space.

• Rachel L
    4 years ago

@julie1973 love your island & stools! Can you please tell me how much of an overhang you have allowed for legroom and also the name/make of those clear stools?