Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laylajane_gw

How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?

LaylaJane
9 years ago

I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any suggestions. I am having a screened porch built. The contract specified stainless steel screws for the ipe flooring. However, the builder used GRK Fin/Trim screws instead. I called the manufacturer and they said the screws would corrode and stain in a few years. Builder says they have used these without problems. My fear is that the screws will corrode in a few years, fail to provide structural support and then be impossible to get out.

Suggestions, opinions, ideas please! Can this be remedied?

Thank you from Charleston SC.

Comments (6)

• ricksample
    9 years ago

If the screened in porch isn't fully inclosed (windows, walls, door, etc) to seal it off from the elements it will rust.

Even if the structure doesn't get direct rain... the DEW will get it. During the summer here DEW is all over everything. We have a 50' long x 5' wide porch with a roof over it. Everything under this porch usually has some type of water condensation on it during the morning hours. I just recently got a box of finish nails out that has been sitting in the garage over the past year... they were all rusted and they have never seen rain. If you specified stainless (which are a lot more money) and they used cheap standard nails (to save THEM money) I would make them do it right. I wouldn't want rusted screws all over my deck. Hopefully you haven't given them all of the payment... tell them if they want there last check to do it right... otherwise you'll keep the money, pull the nails out which won't take but a day anyhow.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

The builder needs to remove the screws and replace them with stainless steel as specified in the contract and by the manufacturer. I would not take a builder's word for something over that of the manufacturer. And an improper installation will typically void the warranty on the materials.

A typical compromise/workaround in the case of a mistake or miscommunication would be for the builder to warrant that if his screws rust he'll replace him at that time. BUT the problem with that is in the meantime you pay him 100% and in a few years you can't get him back to your house to fix the problem he created without spending money on lawyers. So I absolutely wouldn't do this.

You have the most leverage when the contractor is unpaid. Use it to enforce compliance with what he agreed to do. Yep, it's gonna cost him money. No tears, he screwed up and/or tried to get away with something. Bad call.

• LaylaJane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update- to my surprise and relief the contractors replaced the screws today after a firm email over the weekend that was obviously "putting it in writing". They used same size screws instead of longer ones but it's still better than a protracted dispute or them walking off the job. I also had them remediate a framing mistake and go back and fill in a trench around the inner porch perimeter that was holding standing water during this job. No doubt they are as ready for this to be done as I am.

The porch is beautiful really, good quality in many ways. I am so grateful that there was a contract, the job was permitted, and final payment is at the end. This would have been much worse without that accountability.

ricksamples, thank you for your response. Sent my email to them shortly after getting some validation of my concerns.

weedyacres, your last statement made my morning,
    " Yep, it's gonna cost him money. No tears, he screwed up and/or tried to get away with something. Bad call."

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Glad for your happy ending.

• Vith
    9 years ago

Didnt cost him too much, some screws and some labor. Glad you had paperwork to enforce it.

• PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    9 years ago

Hello LaylaJane,

We are glad to hear this too! Stainless steal is the proper material to use with ipe because they won't corrode or bleed any corrosion onto the wood. Ipe is a wood that with proper maintenance can last more than 75 years and this requires it to be installed with materials that will last just as long.

For any other project, do the same as you did here and make sure everything is specified in the contract that way the contractor can be held accountable to his word. Sometimes they make mistakes and most are willing to correct their problem even if it costs them more money.

Hope you enjoy your screen porch for many years to come.