Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Sweet Talk is finished

loisflan
9 years ago

Here is the quilt I just finished for my niece's wedding in January. The pattern is Sweet Talk from Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr's book Transparency Quilts.

The bride's mother was very specific. She said her daughter would like a modern quilt that contained the colors in the box of 8 crayons. This pattern seemed to fit the bill. It was really fun picking out the fabrics that give the quilt its "transparency." It also reminds me of argyle socks.

Thanks for looking

Comments (10)

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Lois....
    I Love It! I'm sure your niece will as well, clean, colorful and beautiful!
    I also think I have the instructions for that pattern in my Weeks /Ringle book.... What scares me is the fabric selection for a WR quilt. It has been a while since I read through my book, but do you have any pointers for the fabric selection to do one of their patterns?
    V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 8:44

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

That is lovely, Lois! I'm becoming a fan of more modern designs set off by crisp white.

Well done!
    Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Very nice! I like the movement that the quilting provides against the very angular piecing. She's sure to love it!

• polardream
    9 years ago

Lois, What a great quilt! You did a great job with color selection and modern design. They should be happy with their gift!

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Very sleek looking....crisp! And, yes modern. You nailed another one. Awesome!

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Oh no, yet another one for my ever growing list!

I love it and I'll bet the bride will too.

LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Sweet.........she will love it! You are so proficient at making the Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr color theories quilts. I love their work. You are making them very proud.

How did you quilt this? I can't see the quilting elements. Are you getting more comfortable w/ your Tiara?

Great job - wonderfully special wedding gift - and you fulfilled the requirements!

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love the traditional patterns and the modern (some of them anyway lol) but most of my younger relatives do not care for traditional quilts.

My problem with making this would be in the fabric selection!! Yours is perfect.
    Rosa

• fran1523
    9 years ago

That is stunning. I just love your fabric selections. Thanks for sharing.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Val, choosing the right fabrics is really the key to achieving the effect of transparency. All the fabrics I used are either small prints, stripes, checks, or textures. You have to be sure each color family has a light, medium and dark of the same shade. I pretended that the fabric was transparent, and that the medium fabric looked like the light fabric was laid over the dark fabric. You can also think of the medium fabric as a combo where the warps and the wefts are made of the dark and the light fabrics. I would choose a fabric and then back away from it and squint to see if it achieved the correct look.

I think it was also important to be sure the different color families played well together. All the darks should have the same intensity of color. Same with the lights and mediums.

Marsha, I wish I could say I quilted it on my Tiara, but I sent it to me LAQ. I'm not sure enough about my skill to do a wedding quilt. I've got two quilts and a table runner that I'm going to work on one of these days. I've been a little too busy lately to practice much. The panto she used is one I really like. I'm sorry I can't think of the name right now, but it has curves and angles and I think it works really well with modern quilts.

Thanks to all of you.