Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llucy_gw

Using kitchen corner space outside the kitchen

llucy
9 years ago

In my 'dream designing' I'm playing with using blind kitchen corners as available space in the room/s adjacent. I'm wondering in my latest design if I might be able to put a stackable washer/dryer in such a corner, open to the hallway behind the kitchen. Or perhaps using the space as a closet, if plumbing/venting would be an issue.

Has anyone here experience using kitchen corners in unexpected ways? I know many people swear by super susan's, but I'm looking for different ideas.

Comments (10)

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

You can certainly recess a closet from one room into the corner of another. There was an episode of Tiny House Nation that showed storage for a bathroom recessed into the blind corner of kitchen cabinets.

However, that was only in the lower cabinet. The inside corner of an upper cabinet is less of a problem to use effectively because the upper cabinet is only half as deep. If you recess a full-height closet, it interrupts the flow of cabinets but that is not necessarily objectionable.

The difficulty with using the space for a stackable washer and dryer is that kitchen cabinets are usually 24 inches deep, so the outside space of the closet of the alcove would be only 24 ÃÂ 24 inches. The space inside would be less because of the thickness of the walls.

There are stackables that are 23.5 inches wide but even they won't fit into a space that is 24 inches wide on the outside. Depth, however, wouldn't matter as much since they could extend forward as needed.

You could gain more width by making the recess wider. This would interrupt the flow of cabinets more, but that may be OK.

• llucy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your feedback okmoreh. In the design I'm playing with, I wouldn't have cabinets wrapping the corner. The cab/counter run would end at a wall with the w/d behind the wall. The space next to the w/d on the kitchen side would hold the fridge - making it look recessed in my mind's eye.

The problem I think might be depth. Depth of the w/d plus wall behind it containing plumbing/ venting might not balance with the depth of fridge plus the wall behind it. Width I could work with, depth might put the rest of my dimensions for the kitchen off too much.

I like stacked w/d 's and I dislike kitchen corners, hence the "I wonder if this would work?" line of thinking.

• User
    9 years ago

You are on a mission to stamp out under used space. I think that is admirable.

However, I had my kitchen at MoccasinLanding with such a corner chopped out. I didn't do it, that happened to be where the heater closet was in the hall, and thus not in the kitchen at all.

It eliminated the problem of corner cabinet totally. However, it meant what would have been countertop was missing from my kitchen.

They are also making different corner cabinets these days, with drawers that pull out on the diagonal. Also, you might consider that corner spot a good place to put a short fat water heater, or a dehumidifier, provided you can access them for servicing or replacement.

In my new kitchen plan, I eliminated every situation which might have called for a corner cabinet. NO CORNERS. I have essentially a galley style kitchen. The intersecting cabinets face opposite directions, when they "T" up. Or maybe it is "I" up which has a bar top and bottom. The vertical is my cooking side. The top bar of the T is my baking side and such as that, and the bottom bar of the T (turn it upside down) is just an "L" and the foot is my 42" high 2-stool eating bar attached to the other end of my cooking side. The other side of the kitchen runs 29 feet, counting the dining room window seat flanked by cabs, the sink run of 8 feet, and the 10 foot run including the fridge, small appliance cab, under counter fridge, pantry, laundry hamper, and stacking washer dryer on the end. I'm leaving a few extra inches for the laundry unit, since they seem to think giant washer/dryers are the equivalent of a BMW in the driveway. My w/d is right there in the kitchen, at the end of the line of course, but that is what they do in Europe and I see no need for a separate room for this necessary appliance. What I put elsewhere was the bulk storage of T-paper, P-towels, vacuum, .....whatever, it now has a real sort of "broom closet" which will also have a couple of shelves for the electronics to remain hidden.....the TV will be outside the wall of the closet, and connected through a small port where my wires are hidden.

So consider you might find a way to build in a cedar closet or cedar chest. Put a dog crate inside.

Where the corner has an exterior wall, install an outdoor access panel so you might put firewood there.

Also, I've seen one of those dumb waiters like at restaurants where the plates loaded on the base go down with more weight, up with less weight.

Another thing I've seen was the corner had a lid and the trash could go into the slots and get covered. However, I do not much like that, since it would be totally gross and nasty in no time. But, perhaps recycling is an option for the corners. IF you can access it somewhere besides in the corner of the kitchen.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents into the game. Quite a challenge. Maybe someone else will confound us all with a perfect solution to the dead corner issue.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I'm going to post a couple of pics arlos_mom's solution to a blind corner in her kitchen. It's one of my all time favorites, but I can't find the thread for her kitchen reveal.

This pic shows drawers in a bathroom, recessed into the blind corner in the kitchen (full depth):
    {{gwi:2137648}}

And this pic is of the storage above, recessed into the wall space, so more shallow:
    {{gwi:2137649}}

If you scroll forward, there are also pics of sliding shelves in another blind corner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to her kitchen album--scroll back or forward.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

mg - I remember that reveal! it was awesome usage!

I've had the corner cab backup to 2 eating areas in 2 homes. Both had drawers/cab space opening into the eating area. I loved it! So much that is needed for that area I stored there. Tablecloth, napkins, placemats, candles etc. In 1 w/larger lower cab space it's where to store the huge pot, canner, roaster etc.

It really depends on what room it backs up to. In one recent thread it backed up to a entry closet already in place. It could still be opened into the back of that closet for storage of winter items when not in use (hats, scarves, gloves - even boots). You might also stash your good silver there to be hidden by coats hanging in their normal space. Or Christmas presents... or the seldom used sleeping bag, extra comforter/pillows for a sleep over.

• User
    9 years ago

That is great, MamaG. Some actually used everyday space. And some out of way storage too.

Stephen, comforters are a big pain. Good solution.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I have a corner cabinet on the base. There is a drawer over cabinet on the dinning room side of this cabinet. I keep the canned cat food in there and dog treats. Being it is directly across from the front door where I go out to feed the cats. It works great.

We use the drawer for keys and pens and pencils flashlights=junk drawer. Again being directly across from the front door it is perfect for these items. We rarely go through the Where are the keys ordeal.

I am not sure about the washer and dryer but if it fits it ships. OH wait that is another commercial. I would do anything to our house if it makes the space more useful.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Our new kitchen features three blind corners! One of them is under a peninsula, thus under an overhang on the other side. I'm going to make a rolling bin that matches the cabinets. I'm not sure what we'll keep in there, but at least it won't go to waste. The other two corners will both have a diagonal counter top. One will have drawers; the other one will be open underneath a prep area so you can SIT DOWN to do tedious kitchen chores.

I have elaborate plans for the dead corners for the triangular waste space behind the corners. I'm going to build a motorized vertical mechanism to hold larger countertop appliances- one for the stand mixer, and one for the food processor. The top will be a matching piece of countertop. Hit the button, and the appliance magically rises up in the back corner! Really should have dramatic theme music coupled to the mechanism LOL! That's what happens when a tool maker (with an engineer son) designs a kitchen.

All in all, pretty efficient use of space, with just a couple small triangles of space being lost. Our kitchen is pretty large for a small house, but old habits die hard. With 34 drawers, I think we can fit it all in!

• User
    9 years ago

Jay, love your lifter ideas. You are taking it a step further by having it pop up out of the corner with appliances instead of simply stacks of plates as found in the cafeterias.

I'd love to see you do a video of it working, and be sure to include some 2001 Space Odyssey music to accompany your big reveal. I'll show it to my DH, who is/was an engineer. He will get a kick out of that.

I studiously avoided corner cabinets in this kitchen, but they can serve a purpose for sure.

• llucy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you guys for all the great suggestions!

Moccasin: "You are on a mission to stamp out under used space." LOL you are exactly right! I'm not in a position to buy/build/reno anything anytime soon, but I love collecting space saving ideas that I may be able to use one day.

MushCreek, I'm really intrigued by the corner pop up for the standing mixer. I have mine in the corner now behind an appliance garage. It is so heavy to move! Since my 'dream designs' are for a home I may have when I'm a 'little old lady', any design where I don't have to move the mixer would be good. Please post pictures when you can.

Most of my designs have involved the galley shape, but this thread has inspired me to not automatically dismiss other shapes, and consider what kind of spaces might work better surrounding the kitchen.