Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Need help with drape color

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

I am changing out the panels in our master. The ones I made a few years ago have a bold pattern and are just too strong with the pale walls. I am now going for an overall soft, soothing look. Here's what I have:

Pale gray walls
White furniture
Medium gray headboard and wall to wall cornice over the windows
2 32x60 windows with about 30" in between
NEW white cellular blackout shades

White quilt on the bed and have purchased the quilt and shams below. Quilt will be folded at the foot for some color. Will use shams and add another pillow or two. It has a subtle paisley pattern.

So, do I get gray, white or yellow panels? I originally thought yellow to bring color to that side, but it is a pale yellow.....hard to find. Or would yellow be too much with white shades and gray walls? (I could probably find fabric and make panels but prefer ready-made).

Also thought of white panels and sewing bands of yellow fabric or ribbon, but not sure about that either. White panels alone seem boring next to the white shades.

Gray panels on gray walls...too much gray?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: New quilt and shams

Comments (18)

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Very pretty quilt.

How about using some jacquard trim in a greek key design on white drapes?

Here is a link that might be useful: Greek key trim

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Like so...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Do you have a picture of the headboard and cornice?

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are just plain, wrapped plywood.....very simple.

Dee......thanks for your ideas!

• gingertopjoan
    9 years ago

no offence, but, as a professional interior designer and fabricator, I would def. rule out the greek key.......doesn't go at all w/ the paisley! [ altho I do like the greek key where it works!] I have a wonderful and at first, seemingly nutty idea!
    I just recently had a client have me use Lowe's painters drop clothes to make draperies and roman shades!!!!! At first I was literally aghast!!!!!! But, once I washed and dried it, it looks like a nice basic, rough linen!!! And the color is wonderfully neutral....a beige--gray. Best of all, this big paint tarp/drop cloth cost only $20 and is the equivelant of about 16 yards of home dec. fabric!! which would have cost her over $200-300!!!
    This stuff Must be prewashed and dried! I used hot water and a hot dryer.
    It normally comes with a seam down the middle, which I rather ruthlessly ripped apart to make it sizeable to get into the washing machine.
    I would highly recommend this " fabric" for casual applications.....slipcovers, i.e.
    Otherwise, if you rule this out, I would go for a very, very pale yellow that may have a tad of a gray hint. Wish you luck! and happy decorating! Nice look!!!!

• amykath
    9 years ago

I'd go with a warm beige yellow.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I tried the drop cloth idea. I bleached them about 4 times and they still had this weird undertone. There was also a faint difference in their color. I had them up for about 2 months before I used them for the purpose intended.

Gingertopcoat is probably right about the greek key; I didn't look carefully enough at the pattern of your quilt. But, if you like the idea, Hobby Lobby has a bunch of trims which may go better with paisley.

• gingertopjoan
    9 years ago

HI Dee in ohio; why did you bleach it? I just washed it in hot water and a tad of detergent and then dried it. It came out a nice easy/warm gray.........quite nice! In fact I showed it to a fellow interior designer who does not sew, and has been in business [ very successfully, I might ad] for ages. She was very impressed!!!! Just thought I would pass this on..........

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

All of the blogs suggesting their use for curtains suggested said to bleach them. This was about 3 years or so ago. I had purchased the HD ones, also suggested, and went through a pile looking for ones with similar hues. I also spent hours ironing them.

Maybe the room color, a gray-green, contributed to their undertones, and their pinkishness.

Sorry for the hijack, Joanie!

• gingertopjoan
    9 years ago

I did not bleach them. client bought them from Lowes and when we ran out and needed another package, the dye lots were the same. BTW; Amazon sells them too, even better!
    This is what I did; I took them out of the hot dryer when they were nearly dry. Now, I have to admit, I have a huge advantage; I have a huge work table in my workroom...it is 60" wide by 10' long. I laid them out on the table still damp and since I had 4 layers, I just laid them out on top of each other......and then I tugged at the edges to ease out the wrinkles. I let them dry overnight. And then, yes, I did have to iron the dickens out of them as I worked with them. I have a large Rowenta iron I use with full steam. I also very lightly sprayed them with a mist of water and then steam ironed on full hot. Came out great!!! [ I would not bleach this " fabric" ; it is polyester and cotton and the polyester does not like the bleach; I think this is why one poster didn't like the color] Hope this helps. Joan

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm sorry...what is the cornice wrapped with...gray fabric like the walls? White fabric? Something you'd be willing to re-cover?

IAC, the yellow is a hard match, though this natural dupioni silk from Overstock looks like a nice shade...at least on line. It comes in a pinch pleat version too.
    {{gwi:2137875}}

Otherwise you can go with a stark white window treatment too, like the shades.

• gingertopjoan
    9 years ago

fabric.com is my " go-to" for fabrics......and you can get samples for cheap. free shipping over $35.order. The colors on their site are near to perfect. I have bought tons and tons of fabrics from them and have been very pleased! I am a sew professional so I know my fabrics, colors and textures.
    I agree w/ other posts that the pale, pale yellow would really round out the colors and ad a bit of interest.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for giving me some direction! I will hunt for pale yellow fabric and make panels if I find the right color. If not, I'll probably do the easiest and get ready made white.

Annie.....the headboard and cornice are a medium gray fabric...darker than the walls. I could probably recover them but would like to avoid it.

Thanks again all!

• gingertopjoan
    9 years ago

joaniepoanie, You are fine in leaving the headboard, etc. just the way they are......nice contract...color value. The pale yellow will look terrific! White would be way too stark. imhp .....I found a wonderful very pale yellow cotton at fabric.com last year for a client. it was just quilting cotton, but, once we lined it , it came our gorgeous!
    We interiors pro's. are also commonly interlining our drapes/panels with flannel.......just the plain ol' basic stuff.....it works wonders on soft or thinner fabrics! Wish you the best! another Joan

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ginger....I just looked at drapery fabric on fabric.com...no luck...most are too gold or bright.

Never even considered quilting fabric, or just regular fabric, and lining it...I'm sure there are a lot of pale yellow quilt fabrics. I'm taking a look right now! Thanks!

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ginger....I just looked at drapery fabric on fabric.com...no luck...most are too gold or bright.

Never even considered quilting fabric, or just regular fabric, and lining it...I'm sure there are a lot of pale yellow quilt fabrics. I'm taking a look right now! Thanks!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Joanie, did you see the "papyrus" bull denim at fabric.com? On my screen, the color looks perfect, but not sure if you were looking for a lighter fabric.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Since it's Laura Ashley have you considered the matching fabric or coordinating colors from the same company? Quite often sheets can be used for drapery fabric.

Or solid gray to match with a broad band of light yellow going horizontal across the panels below mid way down. This type of idea not this particular drapery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panel