Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericabraun

UPDATE: My Love Is Like A Valentine's Day Seed Swap (Pt 2)

EricaBraun
9 years ago

We all survived Christmas, but now it's time to get ready for Valentine's Day!

Love is in the air... Cupids... Doves... For all of us, there is one thing synonymous with love, and that is our garden. Let's celebrate that love with a Valentine's Day Seed Swap!

RULES:
Qualifying plants come in three catagories:
1) Anything with a Valentine themed name. Ex. Love In a Mist, Chocolate Vine, Cupid's Dart, Bleeding Heart. Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate, etc.
2) Valentine colors. Anything with red, pink, or white fruit, flower, or foliage. Examples include: Alpine Strawberry (red fruit), Appleblossom Yarrow (pink flowers), White Christmas Caladium (white foliage).
3) Symbolism that is appropriate for Valentine's Day. Ex. Heliotrope (eternal love), Honeysuckle (bonds of love), Jasmine (sweet love), Red Salvia (forever mine). For these, please put a notation on the pack stating what the plant symbolizes.

Send in however many packs you'd like, maximum of 100. Whatever you send in will be the amount that I return to you. Only three packs of the same type of seeds are allowed. If you send in more than 3, the extras will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in. Minimum of 15 seeds per pack. No seeds older than 2014. Anything older than 2014 will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in. Please be sure that all packs are marked with a date.

Use a bubble mailer, as this is what I will use to return your new seeds. Include a return label with your address on it, as well as the postage it cost you to send, plus one additional stamp. This will help account for potential differences in weight/bulk, bonus seeds, etc. If you send cash, I will supply you with a tracking number -- this is my preferred method.

Email me a list of what you have sent, so that I make sure to send you different seeds (putting your GW name or initials on your pack is also helpful). If you have a preference as to what you get back, include it on this list. Please no more than five items on your request list. It can be specific, ie "roses," or general, ie "I prefer edibles." I will do what I can to fulfill your requests.

When I have all of the seeds, I will divide them up to send back to you. Any additional seeds welcome.

Deadline to get the seeds to me is Feb 1st. I will get your new seeds out no later than Feb 9th. This will give the post office a full five days to get your packages to you, so that you receive them by Valentine's Day.

Please respond here if you are interested. Remember, the more unusual or rare, the better!

Send seeds to:
Erica Braun
1894 Lindo St
Benicia, CA 94510

And for those of you wondering... Yes, I will be hosting a contest for a chance at a prize!

Wishing you all a fabulous New Year and a Happy Valentine's Day!
Erica

Comments (34)

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sign-Ups:

EricaBraun -- Received
    midwestfarmwife (Mary) -- Received
    Desirai (Kayla)
    alouyakis (Artemis) -- Received
    cryptid (Darrin) -- Received
    patton40 (Jamie) -- Received
    beth_b_kodiak
    gardener365 (Dax) -- Received
    cottonwood468 (Mary) -- Received
    terrigail (Terri) -- Received
    dawn1972 (Dawn) -- Received
    sigma3 (Yvette) -- Received
    SunshineGal (Sherie) -- Received
    billingsdj (Diana) -- Received
    jensyen (Jen) -- Received
    blossombrigade (Anyse) -- Received
    tergrov (Terry) -- Withdrew

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Sat, Feb 7, 15 at 19:05

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Game Winners

I wanted to move this post over here, so that you winners don't forget to let me know your seed choices. They need to be to me by Sun, at the latest, as packs will go out first thing Mon morning! Again, congratulations to the three of you who shared your poetry with us.

Congratulations to Cryptid for the poetry contest!! Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote.

Darrin, please pick 10 packs from my trade list and email me your choices.

For our two runners up, gardener365 and blossombrigade, please pick 3 packs from my trade list and email me your choices.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

• 🌱 ~ 🌿 ~ 🍅
    9 years ago

Writing that poem was surprisingly fun. And it paid off - thanks for the votes! I'll send an email with my three selections shortly, Erica.

• cryptid
    9 years ago

Thank yous, etc., posted to list #1... :) - Fun is right, blossombrigade! Sincere congrats! :)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Don't miss the cow on the prior thread!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dawn -- I received your pack today.

• terrigail_gw
    9 years ago

Holy cow!!

Sorry, that's still cracking me up =D

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Packages went out today!

• patton40
    9 years ago

YAY!!! I can't wait!!!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I've been so disturbed by the new houzz makeover that I forgot to mention something....

Most packs will receive a copy of your GW want list (btw, might want to hang on to that, in case our "want" lists are lost for good -- they are currently not available, if you didn't already know). The copy of your "want" list was my working notes. I had a bit of extra time on my hands for this swap, so I went over everyone's lists and made whatever matches I could. Some of you will find you got a lot of things from your list, while a couple of you had no list, or your list was too specific for me to find matches. Anyhow, I think most of you will be pleased with your packs.

Thanks again to everyone who participated!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Erica, thank you for all your work. That was a great idea, to print out our trade lists. Well, now we need our "post a follow-up" click restored, to get us to the bottom of each thread. One thing I don't miss, that photo of the four grinning flannel idiots.

• kchd
    9 years ago

Lmao, Mary E. @ the 4 flannel idiots! You've got a way with words, girl.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If any of you are wanting to get your hands on a copy of your trade list, just in case it isn't restored, check out the link below. There is a comment by SusanC where she describes how to do it. I was able to copy and save mine, much to my relief. It does appear that it might be time sensitive though, so if anyone besides me is concerned, you might check it out asap.

How to get a copy of your GW trade list.

• patton40
    9 years ago

I know I didn't include a list with my seeds and didn't have a trade list available. My reason for that was to get different seeds than what I sent in. I am excited to try new seeds that i didnt have. It was very handy for you to print out trade lists. With everything going on here i think everybody is quite lost. I am sure you do a great job of giving everyone a good and new variety Erica! I can't wait to see what new seeds I will receive! Thank you for doing this swap Erica!

• terrigail_gw
    9 years ago

Hey, guys, just dropping by to move us up :)

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys should start getting your packs today!

• 🌱 ~ 🌿 ~ 🍅
    9 years ago

Mine arrived! What a great selection. Can't wait to get planting. Thanks again Erica for running this, and everyone else for participating!

• patton40
    9 years ago

I received mine today! Thank you for doing this swap Erica! I am very satisfied with my new variety!

• billingsdj
    9 years ago

mine came in today. Thanks so much! I got quite a few things I was looking for. Can't wait to plant them!

• SunshineGal
    9 years ago

Got my seeds today Erica! Thanks so much for the great selection. :)

Happy Valentines day everyone!

• SunshineGal
    9 years ago

Oops, forgot to mention, this new website said my old GW name was taken (sunshinegal) and made me change it, so now I'm flsunshinegal. :)

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So glad everyone is liking their seeds! :)

• SunshineGal
    9 years ago

Sorry if my last post confuses anyone - got my screen name fixed and I'm back to SunshineGal - yay! Not really loving this new site setup, but got lots of new seeds to play with so I'm still smiling, haha!

• gardener365
    9 years ago

This was fun. My first exchange. Erica you're awesome, awesome, awesome.

Happy Valentines Day to you all.

Dax

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

Received my terrific selection of seeds and goodies! Thank you Erica. You did an exceptional job selecting seeds.

Thank you all participants for sharing your seeds. Have a great Valentine's Day Everyone!

Jen

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

ALL- Please remember to post a nice rating for EricaBraun on the Rate and Review Exchange.

Here's a link: Rate and Review Exchange

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day!!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

What a nice surprise to open my package and find Rezha Macedonian pepper. I am going to grow that along with Vesna Elephant pepper. They are both embroidered with jalapeno type striations. I want to see how they differ. There are several things I've wanted to try, like Empress of India nasturtiums and some I need to replace since moving, like pink monarda. Thank you to all my Valentine friends and to Erica, with all her special touches. Mary E.

• terrigail_gw
    9 years ago

Yay! I got my seeds, and I'm just smitten with what I got:) Thanks so much, Erica! I love all my extra goodies, too! Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary -- I'm excited to try that Rezha too!

• sigma3
    9 years ago

I got my seeds and am thrilled!! I cant wait to start planting!! this was my first seed swap, thanks Erica!!!!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm always happy to see people excited about their new seeds!

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

I received my package yesterday. Love all of it. Thanks Erica and everyone.