Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snuffycuts99

Granite Vanity Top

snuffycuts99
9 years ago

Well, all of our granite tops went in. We're happy with the exception of one vanity top. When we picked out the remnant for this top, it was outside in the snow and cold, and remnants were stacked on top of one another. When they took the other remnant off the one that we chose, we could see a line where the other one had laid on top of it causing different colors. We were told that it was just because it was underneath and it would be fine when inside and dried. But, now that's installed we can still clearly see the line and it's different shades on both sides of the line. What would you do here? Do you think we have a legitimate complaint or should we just accept this as it is? Calling tomorrow to see what they say...

Comments (12)

• stblgt
    9 years ago

no way i would take that. my builder did a thing or two like this during our build and i immediately called him and told him what issue i had. i never had a problem and he would always agree and make it right. imo, you should do the same....good luck.

This post was edited by stblgt on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 20:23

• Michelle
    9 years ago

I agree, you have a legitimate complaint for sure.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I would not accept it. I want a perfect piece and a perfect install of everything. That is what we pay the big bucks for.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

No, not acceptable.

• Aims
    9 years ago

That is not something I could live with.

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the replies. It definitely reinforces the way we feel. I sure hope the counter top company feels the same way when I speak with them tomorrow.

I'm concerned they'll want to say..."Well, you selected it in person." But we did only because they told us that it was wet and wouldn't look that way.

If they take that stance, my GC will have to step up and take care of business. Right now, he's said for me to call because he wasn't there during the selection process.

• stblgt
    9 years ago

lets be honest..it's not everyday that someone would select a piece of granite that looked like that UNLESS you were reassured by a professional at the place you purchased it from that it will look fine once it dries. you were told this and thought "hey, i really trust this person and have faith that they are knowledable about the product. since i really love this granite....i will purchase it."

now it is installed and it doesn't look the way you were told it would. they should be held accountable and replace it. no questions asked.

This post was edited by stblgt on Fri, Feb 6, 15 at 5:43

• millworkman
    9 years ago

The other side of the coin is you purchased a remnant. Not saying I don't agree with you that it is unacceptable but also not saying I agree 100%. Expect some push-back from your request to replace it on their dime.

• autumncolor5
    9 years ago

I wouldn't want that. Were you there when it was installed?

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, we weren't there when it was installed. I've emailed a picture to the company and am waiting to hear their response.

For those more knowledgeable about granite, is there any way to blend it so it would look better? My guess is that there is not and we need to just replace it.

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to update and let you know that they agreed to replace it. All is well and we are happy! Thanks so much for your replies and advice!

• Perseco2012
    9 years ago

You know what? I am impressed. I think that is a sign of good business. It would have been better if it was never sent to your house. But things happen.