Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decoenthusiaste

Anyone else unhappy with the new buttons here on Houzz?

decoenthusiaste
9 years ago

Comments (55)

• Geneviève
    9 years ago

So this is what is happening !

I thought that I had an issue with my computer , I cannot post any pictures from Houzz anymore .

• Emily H
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi there, We're making some adjustments ASAP to make posting photos a bit easier. Sorry for the frustration!

Can you please clarify what you mean by having to click to see what commenters are saying? Thanks!

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Oh, I see.... if you go the link route.... only the link shows.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

@Emily, I think it's neat and organized, I just wish the box showed bigger for idea book pictures. I have over 1,000 in one idea book and they're hard to find.... in order to suggest. Also, when you click to add a photo.... how do you add it if it's not in an idea book? Easy for me because I made an idea book for just that, but not everyone has?

On the plus side....I have noticed that pictures enlarge on my feed....I like that. Before I had to go into each dilemma to get a closer look. Thanks! :)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago

I tried to post some pictures of chairs and an end table on a thread last night using the Add a link button at the bottom, and ended up with nothing so I edited it and just had the link. It's so much nice when people can see the pictures in the response.

I do like the larger font size though.

• Emmy
    9 years ago

zaz, you can add straight from the URL if you go to "Add a photo" and then switch to the Houzz photo tab. But it's HUGE in the comment box and makes it incredibly cumbersome to do. It was so much easier before, where it showed up smaller. Also, there are slight other annoyances...If you click out of the box to copy a 2nd URL, it brings you back to the top, so the next pic you insert isn't automatically in the right place, and the HUGE pic you inserted in the first place makes it difficult to find where you need to go. And you can forget cutting and pasting. They're also very hard to delete from the comment box.

Emily, I'm so glad you guys are listening and working on it! I appreciate that you guys are just trying to improve our functionality, and I do enjoy being able to insert from Ideabooks. But I missing being able to add links like before!

Studio City - Meredith Ellis · More Info

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

Adding one photo into the comment box does make it difficult to work in more photos. That was what was so NICE about the thumbnails. It was easier to use, really, and easier to post multiples. I get that putting photos in the text stream is nicer for readers, maybe, but for the posters, it is a royal pain. And I am predicting less pix will get posted as a result. It seems it will be an unintended consequence of making it much harder to post pictures.

• Terri Clark
    9 years ago

I have a terrible time adding photos now. I dont know what the issue is but its a pain is the rump now.

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

I just did a top/bottom view of the difference. With the new format on the bottom, you can see that it's harder for the reader too, bc the text is cut off from the photos. I took screenshots of old format and new format. See how new format cannot even show the four at once, let alone any commentary? That is what is bugging me most, now that I see it like this. I like seeing all four pix at a time with room on the screen to spare!

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

@Emmy or anyone ??? Not to sound stupid ....but.....when I hit add photo, then switch to the houzz tab.....I can't copy and paste it there. It won't work. Am I doing it wrong? Help? Please? :)

• decoenthusiaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Something's gotta give or I'm outta here!

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

Y'know, when my work changed to whatever iteration of MSOffice we are using now, they had multiple training opportunities for people to learn the tips, tricks, differences, yada yada. Houzz just sort of springs major changes on us. (Just wish we had some warning, and some current thread with from Houzz with guidance on how to use new features.)

Some people are used to this kind of thing and know how to get help, or find answers. Others, not so much. It doesn't help that it is a "work in progress" that Houzz is still tweaking. I advise being patient and reading as much as you can about it (Using Houzz has a few very active threads about some of the issues people are having right now.), and experimenting with it. Don't give up, but try and keep letting Houzz know what exactly the problems you are having are and how you see it affecting your experience here. They are really pretty good about listening to our feedback.

• Terri Clark
    9 years ago

I think there are also just things that have glitches, earlier I tried to make a comment, I was typing and no words were showing. Then another time I clicked in the comment box and it went to add photos and I couldnt get out of it. I think the whole site is just glitchy right now.

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

Zaz, are you trying to add a photo from Houzz or from your own ideabook? Lemme try a Houzz photo...and see what you mean...

Periscope House · More Info

OK, I got a houzz photo by clicking on the left box under add photo, I had another window open, where I found the pic on Houzz I wanted to add, and copy/pasted the URL address into the box where it asks for the URL, and voila!
    This isn't working for you?

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

Glitchy is right, Terri. I call it "Having the hiccups" lol. I've had comments eaten while a page refreshes, and lost the pages I've been on with a very slight accidental keyboard touch, etc. It is not smooth yet, for sure.

• Emmy
    9 years ago

@zaz, you can't? Interesting! What does it do for you? Does it look like this?

• Terri Clark
    9 years ago

RRed - hope the figure it out soon, it's ANNOYING!

• decoenthusiaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My screen looks like that but the only things I've been able to drop and drag and submit are pix from my desktop. Doesn't attach or submit anything else.

• Emmy
    9 years ago

@decoenthusiate, what happens when you put a URL in to the left box? Does the "Insert" button turn green?

• decoenthusiaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just tried doing what rredpen said and the Paste box had nothing with right or left click where the pic I'd copied could be pasted. I can bring stuff from my desktop to the drop and drag box, but none of the other boxes (Houzz or Ideabook) are responsive to anything I do.

• Emmy
    9 years ago

Oh, good point. Neither left or right click work for me either! I always just use Ctrl+V to paste. Try that?

• Ann
    9 years ago

I'm struggling today but maybe it's just a learning curve and I'm not understanding yet.

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

I use "command + V" on my mac, too. Or I browse to the photo file I want, and just highlight the photo I want to add, and click "open" to insert it into the right side of the houzz add photo box.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Sorry guys, I was cooking. Lol :) Thanks.... okay, I can easily add from my idea books... but when I try to copy/paste into the screen that pops up when you go to the right option Houzz photos.... nothing..... nada...... zilch. :( I didn't try the other way....I will. :) Thanks guys. ;)

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

See, this is where I think Houzz drops the ball. There should be posted somewhere in Using Houzz a place for HOUZZ to walk people through all this. I just did that for Houzz on this thread, too... [Click here.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/where-are-instructions-for-posting-photos-and-links-in-comments-dsvw-vd~2824750)

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Okay, I also notice that when you go to comment .... I have to touch twice... or nothing shows. I'm on a touch screen PC. Thanks....a bit weird on the touch screen to add the picture , but it worked ....Not!

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Ahhh....now when I tried to post two... it showed as links???? I will remove this stuff... just one more try.. :(

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Okay, I give up. Too much...I have to go back and forth between touching and keyboard, mouse. Driving me crazy... I will continue to save pictures in my idea book for people and add from there... easier. ;)

• Ann
    9 years ago

I'm on a microsoft surface and here's an issue I'm having. Say I go into a long dilemma. I can now and could before click on the box near the top where it says how many comments there are and that takes me right to the bottom of the dilemma. Then, I'm at the end of the thread and want to go back to the top to look at the original pics so I use the up arrow in the bottom right hand corner of my screen and back I zoom to the top of the thread. BUT, here's the problem. Now I want to go back to the last comment and if I click the box with the number of comments in it again, I don't go anywhere anymore. Prior to yesterday, I went right back to the bottom where I wanted to be.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I am a new user of Houzz. I do not even know how to post photos or urls & my PC does not portray colors very true to what they should be. I have noticed they seem to be using a spellcheck function that wasn't being used before. I am thankful for that, however I too have had my comments pulled right out from under me causing me to retype them. A real pain, as I hunt & peck on the keyboard.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Sandra, I'm a hunt and peck too. :) I haven't lost any comments yet though? Hmm?

• decoenthusiaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emmy wanted to see this as a poll, so I've posted as such.

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

Yeah, the "add a photo" is smart enough to go to the last place you looked, or added from... I'm real curious about the touch screen problem Zaz is having...I don't have one, so I can't answer that for ya. Houzz should add a "go to bottom of page" button at the top of dilemmas, instead of having to hit "comment" to get you there. I just want to read the comments from most recent, backwards. I don't necessarily want to comment on them. And I can't get to the bottom of threads from my phone app or ipad app either, even using the comment button. That would be a NICE feature, Houzz. :)

• Ann
    9 years ago

So I can add a pic from my computer but I don't understand how to add a Houzz pic to a comment unless I put it in an ideabook first. It's got to be easier than that.

• decoenthusiaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Half of my activity entries do not show the original photo the poster included with their dilemma. It is a guess to know what to advise without pix, as we all well know.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Rred, when I'm on the iPad mini.....I just double tap the very top of the screen and it brings me up or once it loads, I double tap the very bottom of the screen and it goes straight to the last comment. Very fast too.... that is in the app. Try it, you'll like it! ;)

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Ann, copy and paste.... but to paste.......hit Ctrl then V....add that into the box of "houzz photo" in the add a photo pop up.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Rred, I just tried on the iPad mini browser..... you can still double tap the very top of the screen to go up, but you have to continuously double tap the far lower right or left of your screen to go down and it only takes you in small increments..... which at that point, it's better just to scroll. Lol :D

• Ann
    9 years ago

Oh, that works, thanks Zaz!

• Ann
    9 years ago

So, any other ways to get to the bottom of a thread other than hitting the Comment box near the top? That's only working for me when I first enter. It's no longer allowing me to go back and forth between bottom and top of thread.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    You're welcome Ann. You are on PC correct? I have always found that if I go into a dilemma/post, it brings me directly to the bottom....but you have to wait a second while it loads. I still see the button to go back up though? You? :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

When I'm on the iPad mini.....I just double tap the very top of the screen and it brings me up or once it loads, I double tap the very bottom of the screen and it goes straight to the last comment. Very fast too.... that is in the app. Try it, you'll like it! ;)

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

I just tried on the iPad mini browser..... you can still double tap the very top of the screen to go up, but you have to continuously double tap the far lower right or left of your screen to go down and it only takes you in small increments..... which at that point, it's better just to scroll. Lol :D

• Geneviève
    9 years ago

It was so easy before....I dislike click this and click that .

• Ann
    9 years ago

Zaz, when I enter a dilemma, my microsoft surface tablet/PC takes me to the top of the dilemma. Then I go just below the opening pics and touch "Comment" - you know where it says how many comments there are. That takes me immediately to the bottom. But, sometimes I want to go back to the top to look at the opening pics again. To do that, there's an up arrow in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. I touch it and zoom right back to the top. Then I used to be able to repeat that same sequence to go back and forth. But, now, it only takes me to the bottom the first time I hit the comment box. So now if I go back to look at the opening pics, I have no way to get back to the bottom anymore unless I scroll the whole way.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Ann, on the tablet app? Or browser?

• Ann
    9 years ago

Browser.

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Sorry Ann, that's one piece of tech I don't have. lol ;) Btw, how do you like the surface? You can drop me a line on my thread....so we don't go off topic here. :)