Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misstko2015

Better range or better frig, which would you choose?

Miss TKO 2015
9 years ago

So I really wanted a 36 blue star range and integrated frig. That is... until I got the estimate. Still an insane price, we were ready to go with a 36 wolf (all gas) and sub zero - we get a $1k off for buying the two. However, I have since found out that the wolf does not fit a full size sheet pan. Kinda feel it's a lot of money to feel limited and annoyed that I can't use a full size pan (and I would use a full sheet, not all the time, but enough to appreciate it).

The blue star fits the full size and was my first choice, but... to bring the budget back in our range I'd have to scrap the sub zero. there is a kitchen aid built in that gets me to my number, but it's not full integrated and there is stainless trim around it. If it makes any difference the frig is at the end of the cabinet run - so no cabinets on the right of it, and counter height cabinets on left. So not really sure if fully integrated is gaining me all that much anyway??

So which would you do blue star/kitchen aid, or wolf/subzero??

Comments (21)

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

I was faced with a similar dilemma. I bought the Sub Zero refrigerator. I've had it for 15 years and never had a single problem with it. It does keep food fresher longer than the old one I had and it fits in well in my smallish kitchen.

To afford it I kept the range that was in the house when we bought it. It's a glass top Kitchenaid. And it was fantastic. You can get a very nice range without the Blue Star, or Wolf price tag.

Good luck. It's a tough choice!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I just got my Blue Star in December. I love it! But I have a JennAir counter depth fridge, and anything fancier wasn't even in my mind. By your post, it sounds like you would rather have the range and nix the SZ fridge. If that's where your heart is, then go for it because it's your kitchen and your dream!

Here's my BlueStar. (The VAH is being installed on Monday, so please don't yell at me for the OTR microwave!)

Here is my JA fridge.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fortunately, since we only needed a small refer. I got both a 36" RNB and a 30" Liebherr.

If I had to make a choice, as much as I love my Liebherr, I would not trade my Bluestar for the world.

Essentially cold food is cold food, but cooked food is a meal! chris

BTW, you might look at Liebherr, my fully integrated 30" was over 2k less than the same size SZ...

• plllog
    9 years ago

I love me a high end fridge, and love fully integrated even more.

The cooking equipment is far more important to most people's enjoyment of their kitchens and cooking. If they actually cook. And anyone who's anxious about full sheet pans, actually cooks.

Get the range. You can even put in the space and get the panels for the dream fridge (keep the panels where they'll be exposed to as much light as the kitchen), and get a cheapie big box fridge (or use your old one) until the money tree grows more leaves.

Get the range.

• homechef59
    9 years ago

I had a similar problem. I selected the Bluestar range top and the Kitchenaid Architect II 36" French door refrigerator. I had the refrigerator boxed in a cabinet to give the built in effect. I figured I could buy three refrigerators for the cost of the Subzero. I have had Subzero in the past and liked them, I just couldn't justify the cost.

It came down to active versus passive. The Bluestar was an active appliance and the refrigerator was a passive appliance. Anything would have been better than the side by side I was replacing. Don't scrimp on the dishwasher, either. That always comes back to bite you.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Like everyone, I say go for the range first. But what size fridge are you considering/need?

I went with a CornuFe + a CD FD Viking with a trim kit.

• Miss TKO 2015
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! Thanks for the pics Debbi, looks great! Your bs is black right? Not sure if it's a dark blue. I would get a black, I think... or white? Not there yet on color, although that is another plus over the wolf -- not having more stainless steel. Enjoy your vah! Bet you can't wait.

chris, liebherr was an option but config didn't work for us. good to hear all the love for bs!

plllog, get ready to roll eyes... I'm not what one would call a "cook". Does aspiring to cook count? :o) It is more I'm envisioning the larger family gatherings and special events. No way on any normal basis would I be needing something that big. Actually I am also going to have a 24 inch electric oven that I assume I will use most for my frequent 9x13 lasagna and casserole type non-weekend meals.

gooster - its a 36 single door, bottom freezer model KBBR306EPA. Ummm, just looked up the CornuFe - swoon! Gorgeous! Just sent email to app rep to check on price of viking,

again, thanks all

• Miss TKO 2015
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, and homechef, house came with a newer asko dishwasher and it is the first dishwasher i have owned that actually cleans the dishes, so it's staying!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Miss, my BS is navy (actually "steel blue" RAL5011) it matches my walls and island. I also have the electric French door wall oven in navy coming any time now. Ordered in October. They are finally shipping!

• plllog
    9 years ago

Not rolling my eyes! Someone who actually cooks buys ingredients, washes, cuts and flavors them, and heats them. Someone who doesn't actually cook, buys frozen foods and heat and eats, and nukes them. Someone who doesn't cook at all makes reservations. And maybe toast.

Someone who actually cooks now and then but wants to cook deserves good cooking equipment..

Someone who doesn't actually cook or bake probably doesn't know what a full sheet pan is.

• zwizzle1
    9 years ago

I put more of my appliance budget into the range and dishwasher. I agree with those who say a fridge is a fridge as long as it keeps even temp and has the capacity I need. My last one didn't even have an ice maker or water dispenser. I spend most of my time prepping at the sink and standing over the range, so those areas are where I was most particular.

• charon70
    9 years ago

@Debbie.....Your BS range looks great! When I saw your first picture, I said to myself...Why doesn't she have a ventilation hood over that range? Then I continued scrolling down and saw your next comment asking us not to yell at you about the OTR microwave because the hood will be installed soon. I laughed and laughed. You know us well. What type of hood are you going to install?

• charon70
    9 years ago

Miss TKO, I would get the BS range and save up for the subzero. I think you would regret getting the Wolf if you couldn't fit a full size sheet in the oven. I definitely wouldn't settle for another brand fridge if you really want the subzero. I would save what is left of the budget after buying the range and add to it overtime to purchase the subzero.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

there's little functional difference between a $299 builders special fridge and a $15,000 Subzero or Euro-fridge. For the most part both will keep the beer cold. (I say that but we found a used sub-Z cheap, and it's the best fridge I've ever had in terms of providing functional space-- going back would be hard.) The range, on the other hand is a tool that makes a difference in how the food comes out. Having options for convection, broilers that really broil, and burners capable of a full range of cooking conditions is well worth paying for. Style and appearance are a whole 'nother world

• Miss TKO 2015
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rwiegand, yes forgot to mention, the burners. the burners seem better on the bs too: wolf has five 15k btu and one 9k btu, the bs has two 22k btu, three 15k, and one 9k.

it really is just that the appliance rep portrays the sz as 'the end all be all' anything less would be subpar. but we are not talking a 299 builders special, geez this thing is still thousands of dollars! i am agreeing with the fridge is a fridge, it will still be wonderful -- although i haven't seen this particular model in real life, which is also my slight hesitation.

Gut says go with BS!

ps Plllog "Someone who actually cooks buys ingredients, washes, cuts and flavors them, and heats them" Awesome, I do do that! but don't tell anyone, I also buy frozen from time to time - but i hate the nuke machine, i don't do that :o)

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

Having an integrated fridge is about its aesthetics, not its ability to keep foodstuffs at the proper temperature. If you cook, get the range. If you are more concerned with aesthetics, get the fridge.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@MissTKO2015: It sounds like you are looking for a 36" integrated refrigerator, want to reduce the amount stainless (even consider white),

a. Consider this Thermador model instead : T36IB800SP

Similar price, but without the extra exposed stainless and can be fully integrated.

b. Are you open to floor models? Showrooms are often reconfiguring their spaces this time of year as the new models come in.

Just a warning on the budget -- make sure you price out your panels. Depending on who is doing your cabinets, they can get very expensive (>$1,000).

I ended up with the Viking (based on a Whirlpool design) because it was a good deal and they have a trim kit available. I had DH's budget dictate to fit into. The finish level on the exposed surfaces is generally better (the quality and thickness of the stainless steel) than other standalones but the standard pricing is unfortunately at a premium (roughly 3.5K instead of 3K for the KA standalone). KA, JennAir, DCS, and others make derivatives of the same base platform at different prices, but not all of them offer a trim kit (extra). I was concerned with the amount of stainless and chose to panel the DW, put the MW in a cabinet (with pop up door), and went with a powder-coated hood.

• Miss TKO 2015
    Original Author
    9 years ago

weed, I am concerned with aesthetics, but not enough to compromise function. As long as no one here was saying NO WAY, the kitchen aid will be a nightmare etc etc, I'm good going with 'function first' on this one.

Thanks for the info, goose. From day one, I didn't dig the thermador, the bottom drawers are higher up which makes the bottom of the frig part higher up and i have kids and don't think the taller frig area will work for us - and I can hear my mother complaining about how high it is already, so no.

I think I'm going the bluestar - kitchaid way. THANK YOU all :o)

• plllog
    9 years ago

LOL on the the frozen food. :) I didn't say "only"! The point is, you'll use your new range for more than drying out shoes. :) Congratulations on your decision. It sounds like a smart one.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Whoever asked about the hood, we went with the Vent a Hood under the cabinet 600 cfm. It's the same navy as the stove. It's being installed Monday. Then we'll just be waiting for the French door electric wall oven.