Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_engelhart2152912

Suggestions for Dining Room

Emily Engelhart
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello!

I'm a new homeowner and am looking for a bit of help in my dining room.

I just purchased the ZGallerie Gold Sequoia dining table (see picture) and have recently decided on a paint color for the room (Shewing Williams - Midnight, which is a dark purple...also see picture). I need to purchase dining chairs, a light fixture, and a rug for the room. The additional furniture pictured in the room is temporary and will most likely move once I paint/acquire new items, so don't feel the need to keep it in consideration.

Also, I realize that the table is far and away the focal point of the room so I am looking for simpler pieces that will work in the room and complement the table.

Thank you in advance!

EE

Comments (17)

• samantha dalo
    9 years ago

i think you a very creative emily

Emily Engelhart thanked samantha dalo
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 years ago

First of all never choose your paint color before you have ALL other items for the room that will contain color..upholstery on chairs, rugs, window treatments. Always choose your paint color last. Be certain to choose a large rug..one in which all chairs, when pulled out to sit on, are still on the rug...also you need it for the scale of the room. For me your first step is to choose chairs and fabrics. I would look for chairs that may have some bulk. Your photo shows that a "ghost" style chair diminishes the look of the area. The table should be the centerpiece, but not the only place the eye will go. Keep in mind..you will need good patterns in the room as well..maybe a bold stripe.

Emily Engelhart thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • Carolina
    9 years ago

Funny, I've been looking for chairs and a light fixture to go with your table, got held up a bit by life happening, picked chairs from Room & Board and a Westelm chandelier, rug is from Overstock, and now I see that Maureen suggest almost the same chair :-)

Emily Engelhart thanked Carolina
  • Tanya Sam
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness... my walls are a similar deep purple color and i have been debating that exact table. Undecided on chairs but I am leaning towards a fabric chair.... Don't you love the gold finish on the chair?

Emily Engelhart thanked Tanya Sam
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

Please do not use the rug that carolins suggested. Sorry, carolins, but that table is far too special for a non-classic rug. Go either with a plain color rug or a natural sisal area rug. It needs to be large enough for all chairs when they are pulled out. The area rug is your foundation (even though you know the table you are using.)

Emily Engelhart thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

In the same vein, I think your chairs should be fairly plain to keep the attention on the table.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I suggest an Eero Saarinen Style Tulip swivel side chair with Red seat cushion. The chair is white. It is $199.00 bought on Houzz. Shop, Houzz, dining. dining chairs.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

At Ikea the item 102.455.73 chandelier uses LED bulbs. last 20,000 hrs. runs cool, cost effective. Bulbs are now on sale at Ikea and the chandelier only costs $129.00. I wish I could add photos as other Houzz posters can, but check them out. Red & purple are great together too.

• PRO
    JCA Design Group
    9 years ago

Sticking with a lucite chair may work well to allow the table base to be seen. You can then add throw pillows or chair pads for accent colors.

Arm Chair by Lamoderno, Clear, Qty 1 · More Info

This is the Lamoderno lucite chair as listed on Houzz.

Against SW Midnight (love the color by the way) and with the heavy wood table base, a pale chandelier would work wonderfully. Both of the chandeliers below offer a good contrast to the wood material of the table base. Both are available at http://www.jcarenovations.com.

This "Parker" may be nice.

The "Brick" would work well too.

Beautiful table. Good luck with your room!

Emily Engelhart thanked JCA Design Group
  • Carolina
    9 years ago

It's okay Sandra :-) I think a rug like that will work because of it's large pattern, you think it won't. That's fine. Maureen suggested to use no rug, but then the table will merge with the floor I think, nearly the same colour. But there we are... all different ideas.

Emily Engelhart thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

I threw together 2 side by side ideas below. My preference would be the rugs on top (compared to the ones lower on board - 1 on purple side, 2 on teal side). Also, chair on left can be upholstered in any fabric, so I suggest a graphic to compliment the mod-ish style of chair. The chair on the right as is by David Adler. Used swatch of Midnight paint color as backdrop on board. Don’t know how many windows/size so no drapery fabric swatches shown. If you like any of the items, I’ll gladly send you info/links, just too many to include here.

Emily Engelhart thanked adalisa frazzini
  • Maureen
    9 years ago

I would wait to decide if you need a rug until after you get your chairs. If you are going the route of colored chairs, they may be enough contrast and you also want to have the base of the table appreciated. If you decide on a rug, I would suggest a solid color, remember you'll be having dishes on the table as well and there will be a lot going on.

Emily Engelhart thanked Maureen
  • jhx1
    9 years ago

I'm just writing to strongly second Barbara Griffith Designs' advice to NoT choose your paint first.

It is much easier to match paint to items than items to paint. It's one of the most common ways people go wrong.

And secondly, is the picture posted where you are going to paint purple? Deep purple needs a light trim, next to wood trim it makes the wood look orange. I'd really wait to decide wall color, and consider all the permanent fixtures as well as new items all together before choosing paint options. :)

Emily Engelhart thanked jhx1
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

I agree wait on the paint until after you have the rug and the chairs. I am rethinking the natural sisal I suggested for your rug. Maybe a huge off- white flokati. Or maybe carolins was right after all.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I do like the idea of the clear ghost chairs also. Disappears & lets the table be the star it is.

• Emily Engelhart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thank you all so much for responding. I'm extremely thankful for all the input. This is my first home and first decorating project so there is quite a lot I don't know...including not picking out paint until everything else is settled. I think I was just anxious to get going. I did work with a Sherwin Williams paint consultant and the purple didn't seem to "orange-ify" the wood, but I will wait to paint, per your recommendation, until I have picked the fabrics for the chairs/rest of the room.

I do like the mid-century modern recommendations for seating. My home was built in 1954 and I do have a good deal of existing mid-century furniture so chairs from that era/design would seemingly help tie it all together.

Just FYI: The room is slightly bigger than it looks in the photo (again anxious to get going so I probably didn't take great photos). It has a large picture window in front and is open to the foyer via a large archway, thus it's a fairly bright room.

I can't wait to go through all your suggestions in more detail. Just wanted to acknowledge everyone and thank you for your help!

EE