Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Sliding Door/Hinged Patio Door? (etc)

Carrie B
9 years ago

This is my first post here, though I've been spending lots of time on the Kitchen forum. I'm planning a kitchen remodel that will involve moving/adding windows & doors.

The kitchen will be a wide galley at the back of my city row home. My current plan is to have a sliding glass door out to the garden at the end of the galley. The door will be used very, very frequently - I spend lots of time going in & out to the garden. I don't have AC, will want screen doors, and, when the weather is nice (and even if it is very hot) the doors will be open most of the time that I am home during the day.

I am ambivalent about sliding doors because my experience with them is that they're often sticky, heavy, and otherwise tricky for frequent use. I don't know if that's because I've only experienced cheap ones.

I saw hinged patio doors at the Anderson website and thought that might be a decent alternative.

So... thoughts? Any other information that would be useful?

-Sliding glass vs. hinged patio? What should I consider here?

-Are sliders always/often a pain for one reason or the other?

-What else should I be thinking about here?

Many thanks, Carrie, in south Philadelphia

Comments (26)

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ikbum - It's a dilemma. The French doors/hinged patio doors have the advantage of being able to open (and leave open) both at the same time for nice air circulation, but then there's the issue of space taken up/screens. I found out that neighbors of mine (who I know) have their house featured on HOUZZ (let's see if I can post it here) and they have sliding doors that they like.

kitchen and breakfast room · More Info

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    9 years ago

I prefer sliding doors to hinged doors. I feel like you have to have more free space for a hinged door and they have a tendency to not stay open. A sliding door won't get in the way, will stay open, and the screen door issue will be solved.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

Carrie, I got rid of sliders, for the first reason you mentioned. We use the door alot and they eventually became a pain. I got outswing doors because of the potential space issue asm198 pointed out. You can get retractable screens, they work well, but are very pricey. A screen curtain is an alternative that gets positive reviews, but we have not tried one yet.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, asm198 & Ikbum -
    Just not sure what I should do. If I go with French (and they that same as "hinged patio?") I think I'd probably do in-swing - even knowing that they'd take up space in the kitchen - at least, that way, the wind won't be as likely to swing them shut and screen wise I think that's better.
    Is there generally a big cost difference - one way or the other - between sliders & French? Also, do higher-end sliders have the same issues as other sliders?

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    9 years ago

We never had an issue with sliders sticking, so I didn't realize that could be an issue. I'll be interested in more responses here, since we've been thinking about replacing the windows in our dining room with a door and I want a slider, while my husband wants a french door.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

For us it was not sticking that was an issue. We had large doors, 6' panels. They were heavy. Kids could never really deal with them. Had trouble opening them and once they got them going tended to slam them togther when shutting. As well as I recall outswing cost more than inswing. Have you considered a conventional door (with glass) and a window beside it?

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

Maybe something along these lines?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ikbum - I like the look of the doors you posted. I wonder if that would be much more expensive. I have a Huozz Ideabook with four separate kitchens kind of like what mine will be. I posted the one, here are the others:

Row House Kitchen and Bath Renovation · More Info

Small Philadelphia Row house Renovation · More Info

kitchen · More Info

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live alone, and am a professional (and maniacal) gardener, so really use the garden door a lot. So, ease of use & durability is important. Also, insulation will be important in winter. I probably will not have a table in the middle of my galley - though it has occurred to me that it might be nice to have a little perch somewhere back there to have my coffee this morning - especially if I install a bird feeder on the patio...

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

It sounds like you keep coming back to functionality. How high are your ceilings and how wide is the wall? I should point out I'm not a window expert, but it seems at this point you have primarily design questions. After you settle on the design, you'll need to consider brand, type (casement, double hung etc.). If you are looking at a substantial change, you could really make a nice wall of windows (glass) using 8' tall doors, transomes and combination of various window sizes. What part of the country are you in and which direction (north south) does the wall face.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ikbum - Yeah, functionality is key. On the other hand, these doors/windows will end up being the focal point of my entire first floor (open floor plan rowhome) so it's important that it looks good, too. The ceilings are 105" (8' 9") and the width between cabinets will be about 7' 6".

I am looking at a substantial change. I've posted an image of the current layout, below. The wall faces south, but there's a three story rowhome bordering my small back yard, so there won't be that much (if any) actual sunlight coming in. I live in Philadelphia.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

That limits a lot of your options. Have you consdered a bay window big enough to cover the space from the current window and stretch over towards the door? It would center nicely and open that space up some.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ikbum - the current door will be no longer - there will be cabinetry going all the way down the right side of the house back there. If posting the layout would be useful, I can do that.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

With opening units.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We crossposted. I'll need a door back there...

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

Oops, you answered that.... I think your best bet would be a french door. But an in swing will block some of you cabinets when open. A french outswing would look best, but you are back to the screen issue.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

All things considered, a higher end slider with some type of dressy grid may be your best option.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hah! It is a dilemma, right? So many plusses and minuses on either end. I actually would opt for no grid over grid - I don't know why people choose to obstruct views like that. I have a grid on my door, but it was my only option for a cheap door from Lowes at the time...

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You need to revisit grids. Lots of options that really dress a window, but do intefere with view. We used a cottage grill on our casements. Out of site but add a transome look. Below are some options.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ikbum. I envy your view! I could see a grid across the very top, but if the view is nice, I would not want a grid anywhere across it other than, perhaps, the sky/top.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

When you do decide, start a new thread here about brands. The pro's on this board are incredible and unbiased.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ikbum - good to know!
    Right now, I'm thinking that if I can find a good slider - maybe with a transom on top, if that will make using the door easier - if the way I'm thinking to go. Will post again once I'm settled.
    Thank you to you and asm. This conversation has been really useful!

• indieannajones
    9 years ago

Ikbum, I love the images you've posted of your out swing french 10' doors. We're wanting to put in 12' of similar doors. Do you mind sharing where you got yours/the manufacture name?

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

Sure, they are Marvin Integrity with wood interiors.

• indieannajones
    9 years ago

Thank you Ikbum!! That helps a ton!!