Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancylaughlin

Need help with 80's Fireplace

nancylaughlin
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I like the rock, but what do I do with the shelves, considering painting dark gray or black.

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Designs by BSB
    9 years ago

Because you have stained trim in this room (which I adore - its a premium!), I would not paint the bookcases! Maybe consider changing your wall color to update and freshen up the look?

nancylaughlin thanked Designs by BSB
  • handymam
    9 years ago

I like the rock too. Unless you are going to continue painting trim throughout your house though, I would reconsider painting the shelving units. However, you could paint or paper or add foam board and paper or paint that to the back wall of the shelves.

Is that absolutely the only place that massive tv can go? It is a shame if it is, because it really takes away from your lovely fireplace.

nancylaughlin thanked handymam
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago

Put a richer color on the walls to compliment the built-ins and the stone fireplace. Try BM Stratton blue.

nancylaughlin thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Shellee Anderson Design Studio
    9 years ago

What if you painted just the back of your open bookcases? I think that would help brighten the area. Add a new fire screen and a cleaner lined mantle would help update the room. I think painting the entire bookcases would darken the space, the wood is at least a contrast. Also consider the other items in the room, a bright rug would help modernize the space.

nancylaughlin thanked Shellee Anderson Design Studio
  • Thea Carlyle
    9 years ago
    I would try these backings first so you see how they look before committing to anything permanent. http://pinterest.com/pin/285978645058773263/
  • Alix MacDonald
    9 years ago
    I think you should consider removing the mantle. It would show the stone better
    nancylaughlin thanked Alix MacDonald
  • nancylaughlin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love all the suggestions, keep them coming. The only reason I considered painting the wood is because the trim pieces are so 80's. If I take them off the stain will be ruined. I'm definitely replacing the mantle with a plain rustic piece of wood. The doors on the right are replacements and they are a grainy oak, don't really match the rest of the wood. We remodeled the kitchen about 6 years ago, so this room is part of a huge great room/kitchen combination and the wall color is the same throughout. I'd need to repaint the whole area if I paint walls, but it's a possibility. The kitchen cabinets are stained but the big island is black and a buffet in the eating area is black, that's the only reason I thought black might work. Below is a picture of the kitchen directly opposite the fireplace, in one huge great room. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    9 years ago
    Whatever wall color you like, paint behind the shelves and create a unified lighter look.
    nancylaughlin thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • lover4decor
    9 years ago

Urban Townhome Living Room · More Info

My Houzz: Colorful Hand Painting Bedecks a Creative Home · More Info
    Paint the bookcase white with the rest of the trimming in the room. It'll make it look a lot brighter. Seeing that your floor and furniture is dark.

nancylaughlin thanked lover4decor
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

if you plan to keep your huge TV in the room I would consult with whoever will be installing the new (old) piece of wood for your mantle (only if they are an experienced carpenter) to see if they will remove the left lower side of your fitted bookcases to build a space for the TV to fit into. Have them add a space under the TV for your components, add a shelf for the TV & then continue the same look that you currently have above the TV that is on the right side of the fireplace.

Your whole wall will look much better & more like it should look. If the TV is too big, Buy a smaller one & do the same thing as suggested. If you paint one side you would need to paint them both, however it would make the TV somewhat disappear if you were to paint both sides a charcoal. Then you could paint the backs of all bookcases a lighter color so your collectibles will stand out more. You really should have 1/3 books, 1/3 collectibles & 1/3 open space in the bookshelves. I would add some art glass, books (standing, stacked, & leaning), some statues, some pottery & remove the photos (or just keep a few here & there.)

nancylaughlin thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

The rock on the fireplace is beautiful as will the new mantle you will add, however the eyesore for me is the humongous TV screen and all the family photos. No books.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    9 years ago

I hate to say it but isn't the fireplace or bookshelves that are so 80's it is your decor. I mean look at the art and TV? The blanket thrown on the hearth? I am always intrigued at the amount of posts exactly like this. Poeple are willing to do all sorts of work except get rid of the old rocker?

No insult meant it is just a weekly post. You have a beautiful fireplace and bookshelf set up. You probably will have to do some work to them to get rid of the TV. LED tv's are under $500 these days so no excuse.

Replace all the decor first and then see what remodel work you need. It has to be done anyway as if you redo the fireplace they aren't going to match anyway.

The dog's a keeper.

nancylaughlin thanked GannonCo
  • jhmarie
    9 years ago

Many design shows and design articles make people feel something is dated because it was built in a certain decade, when it actually is well built and attractive. A house built in the 20's has cool 20's features, same with 40's or any other decade. The 80s were refreshing in that there was a return to natural materials, rather than the faux materials of the 70's like plastic wood paneling. There was also a return to using larger baseboards and millwork, probably due to an improved economy and reminiscent of woodwork pre 1960 - you have 6 panel doors rather than inexpensive hollow core ones. I do see white trim in the hallway, so you have a mix of wood and white which is a nice combination. It is your house and you may do as you wish, but do not be misguided into making a change because you think it is "dated".

nancylaughlin thanked jhmarie
  • everdebz
    9 years ago

A small idea, but like this flat front unit, what about installing some sort of new rectangular door to replace the four doors, for a cleaner look?

Randolph Rd Custom Home · More Info

• everdebz
    9 years ago

This photo shows a different style [modern rustic lodge?] -- what about your bookcases like this blend-in driftwood look, and keep the wood trim? Is this mix so bad?

Stone Fireplace with Reclaimed Bargeboard Finish · More Info

nancylaughlin thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    9 years ago

Would it really make such a difference to add reclaimed etc.?

On Golden Pond · More Info

• everdebz
    9 years ago

I'm copying my ideabook. :) Firewood at bottom like here?

Cala Woods Residence and Studio · More Info

• Gretchen Heidrick
    9 years ago
    I think painting the walls a gray or a brownish gray would pop that lovely fireplace. It's pretty.
    nancylaughlin thanked Gretchen Heidrick
  • nancylaughlin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I actually painted the foyer a similar color recently, and have been considering bringing that same color on into this room as well.

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago

Hey there..

I would consider glass tiles with colors that compliment the trim in the room..

Consider www.tilebar.com

I have a few blogs posts that may help you out...

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

paint the back of the bookcases. This will get some light in the room while keeping the stain intact

• newranch
    9 years ago

Seeing the photo of your kitchen area helps tell the story. I can see why you might have considered painting the shelves black, however I think it would make that end of the room seem like a "black hole", so to speak. Perhaps it's the lighting, but your wall color appears to have both yellow and green undertones, which do nothing to enhance the wood. As for the trim, you have rather ornate trim in your kitchen (beautiful area), so I would not rush to remove the trim from your bookcases or even change the mantel. With all due respect, there are other things in the room that are dated. I agree with others, try changing some other elements in the room like adding a different rug, changing some furniture pieces and editing the photos on the shelves to make room for some books and other interesting objects. Put something above the mantel to create a focal point away from the TV if it can't be changed. You have a nice space to work with, good luck!

• newranch
    9 years ago

One more thought, (didn't mean to be so wordy in my past post), have you considered painting only the lower portion of the shelf units black? I see your point about the oak doors not matching. Your black hutch in the kitchen looks to have some slight distressing, using a similar technique might help tie the two areas together a little more.

• lagwagonshow
    9 years ago
    Seeing the gorgeous kitchen helps a lot. The stone fireplace is also beautiful, and timeless. I like your idea for the mantle, but I also like the mantle as-is.

Stained trim throughout the combined space is a design anchor here. Whatever you with the shelves, don't touch that continuous stained crown.

Bookshelves! The doors on the right are seriously jumping out with the wrong color and perhaps species, the whole thing would look better with those simply stripped off. I like the suggestion of creating firewood storage or otherwise tying it in with the fireplace - but only if that's an "active" fireplace, which it doesn't appear to be. If my guess is right, then you could leave the doors and paint that base section black to match the painted wood in the kitchen. The rest of the shelves could go the same black or match wall color if you want it to recede (might be a bit blah). I hear where others are coming from warning about the "black hole" effect, but in the context of the combined space I would hesitate to introduce additional colors.

TV! We spent a decade struggling with our fireplace and TV, trying to make the two learn to get along. They are a very happy couple now, thankfully. The suggestions to incorporate a place for it in the cabinetry is a good one in this instance, since the cabinetry behind is nonfunctional as it is. I'm not keen on the built-in TV cubby because it limits how much you can upsize....but you have that problem solved already ;) Two thumbs up from this commenter.

And now the awkward part: decor! General comment, there feels like a lot of space between that end of the room and the furniture. Could be camera angle or maybe you shifted stuff to get a better shot, but it's noticeable. Quilt on the hearth has to go, along with anything not related to the fireplace such as pokers or kindling. If you have a slender piece like a stunning vase or antique wood-and-iron-whatsit, that could live there too, but keep it to a minimum. Small rug in front of the fireplace is way out of scale. The area might look naked without some kind of rug but it needs to be about as wide as the hearth or wider. Bookshelves, as others mentioned, need books. That's a solid. Hang the pictures on the walls. Mantle has too much stuff on it, and while I like the window pane, it is also out of scale and needs a setting elsewhere. Keep mantle decorations to a minimum. One or two slender objects tends to give a nice effect, or go naked.

The pup looks good, you should keep him. A great dane or Irish wolfhound would really tie the room together.
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    9 years ago

honestly, I think the wood trim and FP mantle shelf is what is dating your space. that wooden trim was popular at one time.....if this space were mine, I'd paint all the trim and built-in's white to brighten up the room, add silver toned handles to the cabinet doors, remove the shelves on one side and invest in a flat screen tv to mount within the bookcase (perhaps on a pull out arm?). then consider a less yellow based wall color that is inspired from the stones. as for the mantle, a rustic looking piece of reclaimed wood or timber in it's natural state would really compliment the stone work, add a great natural element of texture and would look much more modern and fresh. the best way to dress the remaining shelves is with more solid items....books! stack some library style, others stacked one-upon-another, which will add some needed substance and will stand up better to the FP, while not adding any clutter. a few well placed photos (all framed the same) will look more streamlined....pick your absolute favorites and go from there. keep us posted, I'd love to see what you do here!!

• nancylaughlin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I 'm overwhelmed by the amount of time everyone has taken to give suggestions. I appreciate all of them. To answer a few: yes, yes, yes, I need to edit pictures and add other things to my bookshelves. They used to be filled with books/objects/pictures, but as the grandkids were added I couldn't resist. Thanks for the motivation to redo. I wish you could see my shelves in the study, they are actually well decorated. I completely forgot the blanket was on my hearth. That's to keep my 16 mo. old grandson from busting his head open in his early walking phase. Those rocks are sharp It won't stay forever. I do have a chair by the fireplace, but pulled it back for a better view of the fireplace. The TV, unfortunately must stay. It's the only wall in the whole great room. It IS a flat screen, just sitting on a black base. By "rug" is everyone talking about the small fireplace rug, or my gray rug? The large gray rug is only two yrs. old and is a pottery barn design. I hope it's not already outdated. I change my mantel decorations often, usually by season. From all the suggestions, I'm going to try restaining the right cabinet doors a darker color, closer to the rest of the wood. Hopefully some of the ugly grain will fade away. If that doesn't work, I may end up painting, but want to try that first. Once I paint, there's no turning back. I plan to paint the entire great room space, living room/kitchen the same gray color that's in the adjoining foyer/hall. Then, paint the back of the shelves the same color. Thanks for suggestion to keep the dog! I didn't even notice him until I had uploaded the picture. He's even rolling around on his back, getting a good scratch, sorry! Keep the ideas coming, I really appreciate it!

• PRO
    Fuck you
    9 years ago

Paint the back of the bookcases a light color, update the cabinet doors, put in a more modern mantle and lighten all the paint. And maybe lose the fan.

• PRO
    chimney king
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy,

Why not do something cool with the chimney cap outside, and tie that into the inside? How cool is this?

• newranch
    9 years ago

Nancy, I should have recognized the look of only photos on the shelves and the blanket on the hearth. I became a grandmother 3 yrs ago, and my home (and priorities) changed to reflect that. My once well curated shelves now hold too many framed photos (it's hard to edit those, right?) and all of the necessary safety precautions have taken precedence over a magazine worthy home. The lovely handcrafted fireplace tool set and a tall slender wooden sculpture that once graced my hearth were replaced by a thick blanket which was anchored by baskets filled with children's books. It's all good though...now my home is a place for fun and memories and as you noted, those kiddos won't be little for long.

Your approach sounds good (gray walls, re-staining doors, etc...), and yes, painting all that wood is a commitment, so make it a last resort. As for the small rug, I found an inexpensive, neutral runner to put in front of the hearth to keep those little feet from slipping on the wood floor. Your blanket, I think, must stay awhile longer! Best of luck on all.

nancylaughlin thanked newranch
  • cindyfosterlloyd
    9 years ago

Put a textured wallpaper in the back of the shelves. I dont mean with a design, just texture. Looks Great, adds a peek of interest and it's durable. I would use a lighter color, but not real light. Maybe more of an accent color that goes with the rest of your decor.

nancylaughlin thanked cindyfosterlloyd