Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexandcynthia

Floors: refinish and add on or new floors altogether?

alexandcynthia
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

My wife are in a dilemma right now. We bought a beautiful 1955 home and it has some original red oak floors. Being that it was from the 50's, the red oak is 1/4", but it's largely in good condition. Adjacent to the living room (with red oak), is the dining room with awful faded carpet we plan to rip out. Also... adjacent to the dining room is a game room/family room.

Here's the dilemma.

1) Should we add solid red oak in the dining room and refinish the living room to match? Or, go engineered wood for these two spaces.

2) Being that the family room is casual and leads out into the patio (high traffic area), is it better to wait for that later (budget-wise) and even do a different material? Or, just eat the cost and do the same material flooring throughout all at once?

Bonus question: Cost of material of solid hardwood (like red oak) + install vs pre-finished?

thanks!!

Comments (9)

• ycity
    9 years ago
    I prefer the floors to match. Refinishing and matching can be expensive. Weigh the cost to replacing all floors.
    alexandcynthia thanked ycity
  • Jeff ginsburg
    9 years ago
    I like floors to match too. But for the 'short term' I would pull up the awful rug and get the floors refinished. A good floor person might buy you of time here. I personally would prefer to wait than go for the quick fix of laminate. That 1/4 inch oak can take probably more than one refinish. You got kids right...they are hell on a house!
    alexandcynthia thanked Jeff ginsburg
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago

Can you afford to 'eat the cost' of solid hardwood floors now, or will that negatively impact your financial situation? If you honestly can, that's what I'd do. But if you're going to end up what my husband calls 'Kraft Mac and Cheese poor,' do it in stages with what you can afford. It's foolish to be house rich as you live on rice and beans for the next 10 years.

alexandcynthia thanked hayleydaniels
  • alexandcynthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for your input! I saw somewhere on Houzz that one of the Pros thought it was also good to have themed rooms of sorts (like kitchen vs other living areas). Still chewing on this...

@raulporter, yes, kids. That's definitely a consideration!

@hayleydaniels, it's not going to set us back to Mac & Cheese, but we need to save to update the 1950s kitchen. Although cute (and maybe even in vogue now), it has a lot of wasted space. (that'll be another question later!)

• jhmarie
    9 years ago

Have you checked under the carpet to see if there is hardwood there?

I like the look of onsite finished floors more than prefinished - that said I have 25 boxes of prefinished flooring sitting in my living room. It is for the upstairs and I just couldn't imagine trying to move furniture and deal with dust so I went with prefinished.

Nearly my entire main level is red oak 2 1/4 inch finished in natural. Only other flooring is tile in hall and powder room.

Can't wait to see the kitchen:)

• alexandcynthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@jhmarie The old owners said it was old linoleum (ew). All this talk about hardwood (vs prefinished is leaning me towards that direction, too. We haven't moved in yet, so that might be an option to take.

I can't wait to see the kitchen, too!

• jhmarie
    9 years ago

I have heard of people finding hardwood under the linoleum:) I am not sure what it takes to get the linoleum off, especially without messing up hardwood underneath - I just know there are people who have done it due to budget.

There are times when engineered is a better choice due to stability issues, like in very humid climates, but in general hardwood works great on the main level. The advantage of hardwood, pre-finished or not, is that it can be refinished many times over where as engineered is limited on the number of times it can be refinished - depending on the thickness of the top piece of wood.

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

we took off two layers of tile, underlayment, linoleum, maple, linoleum, and got down to the original fir floor. but the house had a 145 year head start on us.

we ended up covering the fir with tile, it was a real mess.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths