Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamajean15

fireplace facelift help

mamajean15
9 years ago
what can I do to help this ugly fireplace? would you paint the mantle white or help with decor please.its just so dark and blah

Comments (46)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago

Paint the mantel only if the trims are currently or being painted.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have white trim woodwork throughout the house. Is that what you are referring too? Thank you for responding:). I want to paint the stone lighter but my husband installed it and says no way.

• PRO
    Remodel Advocates - Virtual Project Management
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Personally, it's too much stone.

My vote would be something more radical and to cover it up except for 12-18" around the firebox. Sheetrock all the way to the ceiling. Here is one example:

Changing History · More Info

If you have other builtins in the home, add more around the sides & mantle area.

• PRO
    Remodel Advocates - Virtual Project Management
    9 years ago

Your husband installed the stone or the mantle? what are you able to work with?

• cabingirl13
    9 years ago

How about replace the mantel with one that spans the entire width- looks too short as it is. I like the fireplace doors- they are nice matte black and a classy design. I don't care for the photo as it is too white/bright. Decorate with minimal amount of items- balanced on each side.

• linlac
    9 years ago
    How about painting the room? A gray/blue would be beautiful with that stone. You could do a gray weathered mantle.
  • leelee
    9 years ago

Instead of doing major re-hab why not just try re-styling what's around the fireplace?

Move the floor lamp and put it near a chair.

Although the kids are amazingly cute, a photograph isn't usually the best choice for decorating your living room. Add a painting over the mantel and move kids to a bedroom or hall gallery.

The vase of sticks thing has been done.

Add a pouf near the fireplace.

• leelee
    9 years ago

Re-do what's on the mantel.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Husband installed both mantle and stone firrplace. I wanted him to beef up a huge white mantel not this rustic kind. Considered just paintjng it in meantime? I probably should put a huge mirror or 0ainting above instead if this pic.was simply trying to lighten the mood up there:).really didn't want to get into repainting 18ft walls etc as entranc3 way joins this room and we have no grey tones at all. I begged him to sheet rock upper half as you suggested only to get "the look". sincerely appreciate everyone's comments. Be truthful I can take it:)

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Whoah, the woman has a very talented & willing husband & she does not appreciate what he did. Accessorize it better as stated by leelee and embrace him & his talent.

• handymam
    9 years ago

I think your husband did a great job, it looks very professional. I don't think it is too much stone either.

I do agree agree the accessorizing could use a bit of work. Although I don't think the photo needs to be banished to a bedroom or hallway, I think it is not working for the fireplace. A great piece of art will bring the fireplace to life. I also think it should be hung, not leaned against the stone. It looks too temporary. If we could see more of the room or your style, I am sure people will make suggestions for art. Perhaps the mantel could be painted to match the gray of the hearth.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love idea of lightening accessories and perhaps art work. Never thought of that. I have Rhee best husband in world who built our home and can do or build anythg I ask. Many men aren't handy at All. This stone is on ouside of hoyse perimeter and chimney. We planned on much lighter stone indoors. Too much was ordered so we were stuck with abundance hence sadly I need to work with what I have. IL try post pics tomorrow of surrounding room.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've tried pulling up videos of white washing and they often show on brick but not stone. Even if I could tone down some of the super dark stone. I'd be terrified of ruining the whole fireplace though. This is why I thought someone might suggest white washed mantle.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Let me know if it would help if I sprayed the frame white of a metallic? Just a thought

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture frame above fireplace I meant

• PRO
    Daniel H. Houde Design
    9 years ago

I am not sure it will. I think the picture should be located in a hall as sonekbe else suggested and use a larger piece of art work. You have an opportunity to go a little higher with the art as well which will cover a little more of the stone. Then lighter accessories are the way to go.

• inabunker
    9 years ago

I love the stone. I think the problem is that it needs not go all the way to the peek in the ceiling. If that part could be removed to make it square above your painting, I think it would look fine. I would get an estimate for that.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your time responding sorry to say removing the stone is not in the picture finsncially. I need help staging from you wonderful decorators. Is the vase out of style and could someone photos hop something that's "in" or what color would I paint it. Shound I buy hydrangeas or color to pop out of vase and snazzy it up?

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

The stone is not ugly. It looks a bit dirty. a good scrub to begin. you will be surprised how much dirt can accumulate in stone, even with regular cleaning.

then I would remove the family picture. Find another spot for it.

I would remove the mantel. For a fireplace of that heft you need a much heftier mantle, something as wide as the fireplace body and about 3 times thicker as the current one. Also with that style fireplace you need a bit more rustic. If that is not possible leave it without.

get a blingly mirror and a couple of mercury glass vases. Get thee to a pier1 and pick some silk flowers that reach up, such as forsythias, not bushy like a hydrangea. remove all the other stuff at the hearth. Items at the hearth should be items used for a fireplace: wood, fireplace sets, etc.

mamajean15 thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.great tips. Perhaps your right about a good scrub to the fireplace stone.it's only 7 years old but I've never once cleaned it.will have to Google what to use as sure don't want it even darker after. I dream about dry brushing lighter tan tones over select stones to brighten but my husband would be so upset if ruined;(. I thought a mirror would sit too high as nothing to reflect up there but will certainly try. Wish someone had photoshop but I'm not talented enough. Please respond what color I should paint the vase.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what's facing stone fireplace to give idea in styke.kitchen cabinets are white and lowers are dark cherry hence why I considered whit washing mantle on dark fireplace to tie the open concept area together. Ignore the practical yet ugly tablecloth protecting table with small kiddos

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With black framed pics in breakfast area I was trying to tie in the hefty large one above the mantle for cohesiveness.sounds like it's not working for you all though lol. Happy to hear your comments to help me though

• dawnludlum
    9 years ago
    How about faux painting the metal surrounding the fireplace? Adding a touch of rust. Then on top of the mantle a huge funky mirror and some orange candles to pull the rust colors from the metal? The stonework looks awesome... I wouldn't change it. Maybe you can paint and distress the mantle.
    This 36" mirror is from Pier One Imports. $200
  • mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you dawn but I do actually really like the metal fireplave surround in pewter so won't be changing that.your fireplace looks beautiful! So I'm getting a few votes for painting the mantle whitessh?:)))))I want my dear husband to beef it up with wood and Il paint it white or distress white to draw eye to it.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have this photo in master bedroom. Wish had more red and tiny less orange as I have red accents in great room.yay or nay for trying that over fireplace? Guess either that or big decorative mirror to capture light reflections

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

tell hubby to beef up the mantel. Go big or go home.

mamajean15 thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hahahaha LOVE IT.I agree completely.gotta work my magic on this one. Would make all difference in world with a big massive chunky white mantel.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By way sacapuntaslapioz I just cleaned the stone with basic vacuuming and a brush and wowza 6ou are right amazing how dusty.looks cleaner already.placed my mercury vases up there and again what an improvement so thank you!!!

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

how about getting an old

barn beam? if you like the style. this is a fireplace in a house I had

and disclaimer. the nest was fallen on the ground

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

anything with a visual heft that equals the stone. It is beautiful stone and it deserves the mantel to show it. If your style is more polished, go for huge. also check salvage yards, some of those old victorian beauties are still around, waiting to be loved again

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

nice. go for it.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sacapuntaslapioz.your home was gorgeous..my husband would salivate over that rustic barn beam You suggested. Your stone looks nowhere near as dark as mine. Outside chimney is simply beautiful as faded a little and coloring stands out.I'm desperate for light and bright inside:)

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

i think your problem is not the stone, but the color of the walls. the walls in my house were BM solei it is like having a private warm spring day morning sunshine in a can.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I feel the same but repainting whole house won't be happening as sorta all through main level and entrance had 18 ft ceilings..gasp.it's sherwin Williams Ivoiree reads tan somelights but sunshine yellow cast in others.love the color but I agree tends to fight with stone....I think IL start with the mantle beefing up and hope my dear hubs agrees;)love your suggestions

• sootsprite
    9 years ago
    I vote for a beefier mantle too, full width. Would you consider putting in a lighter stone on top the hearth.
    http://houzz.com/photos/2312497
    mamajean15 thanked sootsprite
  • mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow let's trade fireplaces. Your is simple and perfection!!! What a difference seeing that mantle on yours compared to mine.

• sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Oh honey I wish that were my fireplace! I wish yours was my fireplace! It is a photo from Houzz.
    mamajean15 thanked sootsprite
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I would re face it. With dry wall then paint. Add a bold art piece above. Think about crown moulding around room. A new paint color would also help I like the grays. Then use different darker shades of same color to firepl wall. The whole wall there would be the same. Leave hearth as is. Would work with gray.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    You have too much stuff around it. Remove lamp and other items. If keeping the Rock could he carry out to cover whole wall. Then take mantel across whole wall paint white to brighten it up. Family pic put in bedroom. Line longer mantel with pic in various size. Some tall others the size you show. Can only work if you have a very long mantel.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Remove scones does nothing.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I like the barn beam look. The fireplace is Rustic, so reclaimed wood would work.
  • mamajean15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cover the whole wall??? What do you mean?ceiling is peaked hence diagonal stone at top if that's what your referring to? I did remove vase and took topiary put of basket and bow brighter cream container.guess a trip to homegoods and kirklands is in order

• marzena1996
    9 years ago

can I ask you where did you got the barn bean love it and I like to have same in my fireplace thanks

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

marzena1996, if you are asking me, it was a gift from our builder. he had to replace some beams in his barn. you can buy them nine though