Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
changingitup

How to search in forum?

changingitup
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I've been looking for a way to search only in forum not all of gardenweb. I'm hoping there is an easy way I'm just missing. Does anyone know how to do this? I use an iPhone for most searches if that makes a difference.But just in case someone has a quick answer, the info I'm looking for is...Should I trim back the garlic leaves if they get very tall and start to fall over this early in the season? Should I just cut off the ones that lay down so they don't start to rot? Or should I top the whole thing? Will this amount of leaf growth affect the size of the bulb if I just let it go? I don't think they are the same thing as the scape because they are not curled or are they the same thing?

Comments (8)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Whereabouts are you located that you have so much growth from your garlic?

To answer your questions, there is no way to search a single forum at the moment. If you do a google search and include the forum name it will pull up plenty of results. Should you trim the leaves? Nope. Leave them alone. Although it seems extremely early for them to be falling over right now. Any chance of a pic?

Edit: Not sure if the picture was there when I first commented and it just wasn't showing up for me or if it was just added. Anyway, those are good looking garlic. Leave them be.

Rodney

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

There IS still a way to search just your individual forum! Somebody figured it out several days ago on RMG!

Go to the search box on top and type in what you want to search for--a drop down menu will show up with several options for what you want to search. I'm not sure if it's always the first option (for me it has been), but look for the option that has your search words and (in this case) "vegetable gardening" after them, then click on that option and it will search only this forum. I just tried it with "carrots," and it worked!

The drop down menu works on Firefox and on Safari IF you have Java enabled. Not sure about other browsers, but I assume it works in any of them as long as Java is enabled.

Happy searching,

Skybird - from Rocky Mountain Gardening!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Skybird is right on. You can search each individual forum using the drop down menu provided after you type in your search term.

Leaves and scapes are not the same thing. As to trimming the droopy leaves somewhat - that is optional but not required. I do it but I doubt most do. Just as with onions you can cut the droopy ones about half way back if you wish. New leaf growth develops from the core.

Dave

• changingitup
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That worked! I also went over to the northwest forum and typed a search and the first option was in the northwest forum as well. Intuitive :D

I'm in Portland zone 8 which used to be on here but I guess not anymore. I'll fix that

I added that picture after I posted ;)

Thanks for the info!

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Didn't know that about the search. Nice to know. Never really used it on the old GW, always used google, so haven't tried it here yet.

Rodney

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

The whole search thing resolved....

I think your garlic looks fine. My garlic gets some dropped over leaves too after a certain amount of growth.. Which, considering right now the beds are under a foot or two of snow, isn't at that point right now, lol.

But if you get some leaves that are rotting, then sure, trim them off. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Scapes look like small garlic bulbs. My friend used to pluck them off and throw them away. I read that you can plant them or use them in cooking.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

changingitup,

Click here for the NW Forum

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012