Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?

loger_gw
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside? If so how did you exhaust or control the dust? My (first/last) experience led to two dust plugged motors that failed the same week. Both motors showed the dust damage and I feel I received some also (that was not noticeable during the cutting). I specifically ordered a Gap Tooth Blade for my band saw for this operation. I had an exhaust fan on overhead, dust mask but eventually was diagnosed with blocked sinuses.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I specifically left this wood 24-36” long to save time cutting stacking during the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />North TX, Hot Summer. Since, cutting pallet planks (8” long, split as starter wood) and 4” and lower dia wood is with a “Chop-Saw (with a 10” Carbide Blade Outside). I am noticing chips vs dust but use a box fan if needed. I feel this is not as deadly with green or seasoned wood.

The disc sander’s motor (bottom left of pic) was killed along with the Band-Saw’s due to the disc sander being housed under the Band-saw. The Disc-Sander was used very minimally under the saw. It’s totally used under a small table on wheels outside when needed now. The open motors vs Farm (closed) Motors dominate my “Saved Motors”.

Comments (6)

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The 4 attachments are not working. Initially I had 2 of 4 vs 1 that appeared. I'll try to add the initial not shown and move on vs trying to add the other 2. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

There is also text showing that I am not entering that is not seen until the reply is sent. I feel it has something to do with my messages being created in Word to try and Proof and copy/past to the board. I have reported both matters with no answers yet vs replies of looking into the matters. Do you have answer as to what is happening vs glitches at this point??

• chas045
    9 years ago

I don't know the answer, but you may recall, that doing the same thing using gardenweb would turn apostrophes into huge messes. Perhaps that will point someone in the right direction.

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank for the reply. I remember the extra charters triggered and tried to eliminate using them. One suggestion is to try copy/paste from a different word-process.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I just switched to AT&T U-Verse Digital Broad Band vs AT&T DSL. I’ll post the 4 pics that were attached to see if speed could have been the problem.

The weather is more Shocking here in North, TX. I’ll have to get into harvested wood during or since last winter. The larger Red Oak is a challenging major supply of wood. I’m developing a feel for the weight, seasoned cracks and splitting it smaller. I also know some wood loose values stocked too long (over 2 yrs) but that has not happened with Red Oak.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

If I understand your question, there are all kinds of "dust collection" systems around, I know guys who have pretty intense woodworking shops and they have big hoses running to every machine.

I've attached an example from HF, have seen them all over for various prices.http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks For The Suggestion, exmar! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I tried to get Our Local Habitat for Humanity to purchase that unit at Harbor Freight. I volunteered one morning a week for 6 years. Some mornings I would spend 4 hrs ripping ½” OSB shims to add in pre-built framing items (cripples, channels, headers, etc) to make today’s 2Xs full for framing. It was easy too fill a 55 barrel with saw dust in 4 hrs from the ripping. A 4’ box fan was the best I could convince them to do. It took me 6 yrs to get full of dust and volunteer my services at a cleaner healthier site.

My point was that dust period was not good for us, plus we d/n know what chemicals were in the OSB. I would ck the directions of the wind as my exhaust when Hardiboard Siding was being cut. I ck the wind when cutting firewood also.

Have you tried any attachments (2-4 or 1) with the software switch and was it successful???

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

I've been successful attaching links and one photo, I'm still fighting with Win8.1, so when something works, not sure how it happened. :-(