Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruits_veggies

When to prune Jasmine Sambac and GD Supreme plants

fruits_veggies
9 years ago

I had all my jasmines in my garage for winter protection and just moved all of them outside as weather improved in Dallas. Looks like I need to prune my 5 Jasmine Sambac plants and 4 GD Supreme jasmine plants because all these plants have lot of woody stems, it would be helpful if I get recommendation on when and how to prune them.

Thanks

Comments (25)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Here's GDS after the trim.

And here's Belle of India.

• User
    9 years ago

Robert that looks more like a foot, unless its an optical illusion :-)

I followed your example (you had suggested it on another thread too) and put a couple of cuttings in two different pelargonium pots. I put a glass on top of them and so far so good, their still green...

9 years ago

Ha! 2 or 3 feet. Happy now? ;)

Good luck with your cuttings. Remember to remove all but a couple of leaves and the bottom heat really helps. :)

9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay. I got the measuring tape out and the tallest points are between 18 and 21 inches but I'm sure they vary from year to year. ;)

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert. That really helps :-)

My Belle must be around that size.

The cuttings are on a wooden shelf on top of the radiator.

There are only two leave on each stem. It's been more that 3 weeks now, so we'll see....

• fruits_veggies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert and True Blue for the response.

@ Robert, I did trim a little bit in couple of my Jasmines in the fall but they started to put new growth. Does your jasmine put new growth after you prune?

Also, I was able to grow couple of Jasmine cuttings out several cuttings using 'Garden Safe Take Root Rooting Hormone', may be because I didn't provide appropriate humidity. Would you recommend any other rooting hormone? Thanks

9 years ago

I trim mine back right before shoving them down into our cool basement which is in the 50's to 40's during the winter so mine do not sprout new growth.

As for rooting the cuttings I think the humidity and bottom heat are essential for better luck at rooting them than using a rooting hormone. I've used the cheap stuff you can find at Lowe's or HD and I've used Dyna-Gro Root Gel but honestly I think it's the humidity and bottom heat and patience (since some of mine had started rooting and I took them out too soon and they died) are the keys to success.

Good luck! :)

• User
    9 years ago

Robert how long does it take for you approx. to see new growth on a rooted cutting?

9 years ago

Ha! You guys are really testing my memory since I did this two years ago or so! ;)

If my memory is correct some cuttings dropped all their leaves after a few months but I could see where new leaves were developing so I'd say a few months but honestly don't trust what I'm saying since I didn't take notes. Maybe others can chime in who have recently rooted them or took notes!

I do remember I would lift the tray with the plugs out of the bottom tray to look for roots coming out of the drainage holes and look for top growth before deciding on if I should remove them or not but again lots of the ones I removed too soon died on me and the ones I left in for the longest were the successful cuttings that made it.

• User
    9 years ago

That long! That's a relief. Ok, now I can stop obsessing and let them be. Mine were plunked in a month ago and they are still under the "dome" so to speak. They are still green. I'll check them again in May!

• hazel_vernier
    9 years ago

Robert,

How do you promote so many branches on your Belle? Mine is almost 3 years old but only 4 stems. I got 5 flowers last year

Any tips would be much helpful....

Hazel

9 years ago

Hi Hazel, I got my Belle plants from Pepper's Greenhouses where there were 3 small rooted plants per pot. The pot you see has 2 of those pots in them so basically 6 plants. In addition to whacking them back in the fall I also trim off the long whip like branches it produces during the summer which helps create more bushy plants.

Are you giving your plants enough sun and fertilizer? I like Dynamite slow release fertilizer and I try to give them liquid fertilizer (Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro) every two weeks.

Maybe repotting it in some fresh fast draining mix like the 5:1:1 mix will give you more blooms?

Hope this helps! :)

• hazelvernier
    9 years ago

Hi Robert,

Tanks for your input. I did see the Dynamite fertilizer but it was more like for tomatoes, can it be used for sambacs as well? Approximately when in summer do I have to prune the long slender branches? I have been using the 5:1:1 mix, however in my area, Lowes has the Pine bark mulch and the nuggets, not the Pine bark fines. Which one should I go for?

Do you use Epsom salts and Ironite sometimes?

thanks,

Hazel

• User
    9 years ago

Hazel, sorry to butt in.

Check these threads to see the correct size of the pine bark fines, if not you can always get repti bark.

Thread 1 & Thread 2.

• hazelvernier
    9 years ago

thanks for the information, I really appreciate it...

Hazel

• User
    9 years ago

Normally the ideal ration for plants, if you follow Al's system is 3:1:2.
    So whatever fertilizer you get should be more or less the same ratio:
    I don't know, which one Robert uses, but it could be the 15:5:9 All Purpose.

If you reread Robert's post you'll find the answer to the pruning questions you asked :-)

9 years ago

Thanks, True Blue. :)

Busy doing reports at work.

Yes. I use Dynamite's All Purpose 15-5-9 slow release fertilizer that lasts up to 9 months. Their tomato fertilizer is 5-5-9 so not as much nitrogen and lasts up to 3 months. I order their all purpose fertilizer off Amazon since I can't find it locally either. And I sometimes use Ironite if the leaves start looking yellow. Don't really use Epsom salts though I've read some interesting results using them as a foliar spray. :)

• fruits_veggies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Robert, are you using Dynamite's All Purpose 15-5-9 slow release fertilizer for potted plants? with everyday watering, won't they drain away?

I use Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer once a week from spring to fall/Sep and from then on (Oct to Mar) once in two or three weeks.

9 years ago

Haha. Hi Fruits & Veggies. Yup. I use Dynamite's All Purpose 15-5-9 on my potted plants as I've stated. It's specially formulated to feed up to 9 months.

http://www.dynamiteplantfood.com/the-science/

I don't think a company would be in business for very long if they don't live up to what they claim. ;)

Give it a try! It's a complete fertilizer which includes calcium. It's much easier for me to feed my many, many potted plants that way than using a liquid fertilizer every time I water or every week or so. Lord, that would take me forever! :)

• fruits_veggies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the quick response Robert, I'm surprised that slow release fertilizer can last up to 9 months, I thought it is about 4-5 months max. Last year I added Calloways (local nursery in Dallas) brand 15-5-15 slow release fertilizer to the 5:1:1 potting soil mix I prepared and repotted most of my jasmine and other potted plants. I never used Dynamite's All Purpose 15-5-9 fertilizer before, not sure which is better 15-5-15 or 15-5-9.

I see lot of Dynamite's products in Amazon, is the below one or something else

Dynamite 887776 Select All Purpose Plant Food, 2-Pound
    http://amzn.com/B002CAG992

9 years ago

My plants seem happy with the 15-5-9 and yes, that's the one I use though I buy the 7 pound bag because I have a lot of potted plants. :)

• fruits_veggies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert

• Yazmin Guzman
    8 years ago

I have had this Sambac
    for 3 years now...surprisingly starts blooming end-Dec/beginning of January. For a plant that usually loves southern exposure, she sits on my window facing north...I am so scared to go crazy on pruning so I thought if anyone can tell me where to cut, I would greatly appreciate it. I have made a 2" wire cage on a vertical hold because she was growing sideways...i know I have to prune but scared to upset this happy healthy sambac...please help!!!! Ive posted a pic of her winter bloom - and the second one in her current state....thanks so much for your advice :-)...

• Yazmin Guzman
    8 years ago

I forgot to mention I am in New York city - the view of the Empire State building probably makes her happy - but she does need prune help...I think...