Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjsiny

Calm, light granite for natural cherry cabinets. Ideas please?

mjsiny
9 years ago

I'm bleary eyed looking for pics of natural cherry cabinets with lighter granite. I need something without too much motion. River White works but seems so "safe". Crema Bordeau is too busy.

I'd like to find a granite with creams, whites, taupes, maybe bits of gold, garnet. Please post pics if you have them. A picture is worth 1000 words!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

Sounds like you really need a quartz, not a granite

Cambria Dovedale ™ · More Info

Cambria Waverton ™ · More Info

• adoiron
    9 years ago

you can't look at pics online anyway as each granite supplier will have slabs that look completely different. go to some suppliers near you and just look. there are so many choices out there and they need to be seen in person.

• alexamorrie
    9 years ago

I had a sample of River White and it stained when I tested it with ketchup, mustard/tumeric etc.

If you are going light you should also consider quartz as it will be more stain resistant compared to light granites. And if you don't want man-made -consider quartzite.

• alley2007
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Colonial cream or white? Slabs vary in the amount of black.

• makmartell
    9 years ago

Check Bianco Romano, among others. But the best idea is to go visit a stone yard (or several!) with a cabinet door sample, and see what speaks to you. (It's a lot of fun, too!)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

You really do need to see them in person, as they vary so much. For example, while alexamorrie says her sample of River White stained, mine does not. Being a natural product, there is a ton of variability.

• mjsiny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I misled you all. I have been to the local fabricator a few times already and brought samples home. My choices of course are limited to what they have in stock. That's why I was looking at pictures for other ideas. I can travel to a larger warehouse but they wouldn't have samples for me to bring home. Titanium looked gorgeous but is way too dark. Madre Perl turned too gray. River white works but I guess my objection is that it seems so much like the Corian I am replacing. Does anyone have River White leathered? The quartz I've seen looked like plastic in the lighter colors but perhaps I need to revisit them.

• User
    9 years ago

What's the matter with the Corian? There's nothing about it that can't be fixed with the right guy? All of the granties you are considering will be busier, stain more, and need more upkeep than Corian. You may not need to change a thing to have what you say you want.

• adoiron
    9 years ago

it doesn't sound like you have many choices at that fabricator. how about a hd or lowes? they have all their granites up on a board and they have samples to take home. if you search for msi, it has a list of colors of granites and their density but it won't matter if you can't get it right? or do you have a way for the fabricator to order something for you.

• mjsiny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sophie, I am replacing the cabinets. Right now I have Corian on the island and laminate on the perimeter. I considered re-using the Corian and finding a compliment for the perimeter but believe it or not, hubby said "do it all the same". Probably good advice in the long run.

• User
    9 years ago

With your stated goals, Corian or quartz is probably where you need to be focusing your search. You could keep the island top, and find a coordinating color in a quartz or a solid surface for the perimeter. Sounds like a win/win for the budget, as well as for being green and recycling!