Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Early emerging hostas?

donrawson
9 years ago

What hostas which emerge early each spring before the other cultivars? Help me update the list.

Someone mentioned 'Blue Silver', 'Rainbow's End', and 'Wolverine'...do those emerge very early for you?

Comments (15)

• zoeysullivan
    9 years ago

I have City Lights coming up--forgot it was going to snow, didn't get it covered--there will be damage! : (

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

I have SAGAE up strong, several Guacamole, and Curly Fries.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Wolverine, Golden Tiara, City Lights, Fried Banana, Sagae, Fire Island, Show Boat are my earliest to come up. I had a great rain last night so today the hosta are popping up fast.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Most of my early risers are already on your list. Wolverine is REALLY early. It was ahead of So Sweet, which is always my earliest riser. For me, Irish Luck (makes sense as Invincible is on the list), Old Glory and Birchwood Parky's Gold are the only early risers I have that are not already listed.

Old Glory was new last year, so we'll see if that trend continues. I've had Birchwood Parky's Gold for years and it comes up early enough that it generally has some kind of cold damage. It's earlier than some of the fragrants.

bk

• mrhosta
    9 years ago

For me Empress Wu and Montana Aureomarginata. Always the first the they start coming up by the numbers

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Most of mine are awake, but the two earliest risers were Fried Bananas and Wishing Well.

• zone7patti (7b)
    9 years ago

mrhosta: what zone are you? I also have Empress Wu. This will be her 3d year in my zone 7b garden. I was out yesterday clearing twigs and the last of the winter debris from that plot, and I saw no hosta pips at all. I do have an old (nearly 10 year) bed of asiatic lilies that was fll of pips. I know it's still before Easter (my personal gauge to start worrying about plant failure), but now that the snow is gone, I'm ready! Thanks. pk

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Question: I have lots of hosta that come up before Sum and Substance and Squash Casserole, which are listed as early risers. Most are fragrants. Do you want the whole list?

bk

• mrhosta
    9 years ago

Zone 5a Empress Wu is also planted in full sun. Which will make it cime up faster.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Don,

I'll try to remember next June when the pips start showing here to get back to you.

Jon

• zone7patti (7b)
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mr H! Mine is in full shade all day right after about 9 a.m. That part of the yard holds the cold a little longer 2.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

bk.....my Sum and Substance is barely showing a couple of pips. It's in my last quarter of hosta to get started.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It seems like S&S is fairly early. It had some cold damage last year. My timing is off this year as I put some in the garage and left some outside during our two week cold spell. If it was showing pips, I put it in the garage. If not, I left it outside. S&S is later than usual this year. Most all my fragrants are ahead of it this year. Since my year has been so strange, I'm reluctant to suggest a lot to add to the list that have not been early several times.

bk

• virginiarose 8A S.East Va.
    9 years ago

I have H.'Sea Thunder' that is always first to emerge. It has a low chill requirement but this year I have more of them in pots and Montana (aureomarginata) is sprouting first.