Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicabrigham

Need pruning advice for my peach tree

Jessica Brigham
9 years ago

Hello!

My Elberta peach tree – known fondly as Bertie – has exhibited excellent growth at the start of her second season. Yippeee!

I'm seeking advice on how to prune her while the weather is still cold in New England. We bought her on April 1st last year, so please no fooling around! ;)

I plan to prune for the three D's – dead, damaged or diseased – as well as the excess little branches, but I'm concerned about her heartier branches. Her leader appears to be growing mainly to the left side and I'd like to prevent her from becoming too side-heavy, leaving her open to potential storm damage down the road.

Thank you to all in advance!

Comments (20)

• rayrose SC 8
    9 years ago

Peach trees are supposed to be grown on an open vase system, and
    you have nothing like that. There are lots of videos on youtube that
    will explain the open vase system. Your scaffolds are way too high and
    I would start by cutting the leader about a foot below the v.

Jessica Brigham thanked rayrose SC 8
  • Jessica Brigham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ray Rose!

I hear you ... We bought the tree last year and it looked very similar, just taller and thicker branches this year. I've looked online intensively, and have realized what you're saying – just looking for additional guidance considering it's current condition. Really appreciate your time. Thank you!

• waxingmoom
    9 years ago

Jessica, google peach tree pruning, UNC " It a series of You tube by U of North Carolina. You will find it helpful. Try to bend branches/ tie them down. More horizonal branches prodce more flowers/ fruit.

Jessica Brigham thanked waxingmoom
  • gator_rider6
    9 years ago

I would not prune any this year until after crop set well, why prune now loose any Peach that may set enjoy crop this year. Peachtree grows fast new growth this year fruit next year. A crop load helps spread limbs outward that give all Vase shape young tree needs and help picking in future.

Jessica Brigham thanked gator_rider6
  • Sheryl Gallant
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Peach trees need to be pruned before flowering or during early flowering. It's too hard on the tree to prune it while in active growth. I would cut out the leader and make the vase shape, but gently. She's a bit young for severe pruning.

Jessica Brigham thanked Sheryl Gallant
  • ryan89
    9 years ago

The first 3 years are the most important years to prune your peach tree. Most people use the open vase system. Chose 3-4 scaffold branches. I would lop the whole top of that tree right off under where the tree makes the v shape. I know it sounds excessive but peach trees can take severe pruneing. I guarentee you will not kill it. And i would recommend useing bonide horticultural spray oil before it comes out of dormancy. And all pruneing should be done while dormant. I live in zone 6 plymouth, ma and i pruned my 2 peach trees yesterday. Its the right time in zone 6 to prune

Jessica Brigham thanked ryan89
  • ryan89
    9 years ago

Dont think of the crop this year. Think of the crop you will get in the future with proper pruneing and a healthy peach tree

• Jessica Brigham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ryan, this is very helpful. I want to prune tomorrow. I am in Connecticut. I'm reposting the picture with two options, I'm not sure which one you meant ... can you clarify whether 1 or 2 are the spot you are referring to under the V? Thank you!

• ryan89
    9 years ago

I know it sounds crazy but neither of those 2 spots. The idea is to have 3-4 scaffold branches. Picture looking down at the tree from above. There should be 3-4 branches evenly spaced around the tree. When the sun shines down it should be able to shine on the whole tree with no shadeing. Its hard to tell you were to prune from a photo

• ryan89
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a good diagram. Thats why i said you are going to need to prune your tree severley. Your said youplanted your tree last year. So i take it , it was probably 1 year old when you bought it. Which makes it a 2 year old tree. Depending where you bought it i wouldnt think they pruned it. And you have not pruned it. So since it was never pruned you are going to have to make up for it by severley pruneing it

SO what im trying to say is pick 3-4 branches on each side of the tree and chop everything else off. Prune at a slant so water wont stay on the cuts. You want the tree nice and low so you wont have to climb a latter to pick fruit. In the picture i see 4 branches on the lower part of the tree that look like good scaffold branches but its hard to tell from just one picture

• Jessica Brigham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ryan - I'll do my best!

• ryan89
    9 years ago

heres a good link. http://nhfruitgrowers.org/blog/?p=546

Good luck !

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Yes, cut it low as suggested in the diagram. I would also remove that stake that is right on the trunk.

Jessica Brigham thanked Kevin Reilly
  • Jessica Brigham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm just curious, if I do not prune the tree as severely as you're suggesting (I'm still going to prune it hard), will the tree generally be taller (pick fruit on ladders which is fine by me) or will the extra and upright growth hinder its growing ability (both fruit as well as the longevity of the tree)? The garden center did not seem to have pruned it, we think it's closer to three years old. I just don't want to kill the tree! It's a dwarf variety and the expected height is 10-12' tall, as well as round. Please humor my curiosity! Thank you all.

• Jessica Brigham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear everything you're saying. I much like your idea to get a second peach tree to conduct an experiment of sorts. It'd be very helpful to learn from the visual. Assuredly, I will thin my peaches and and give Bertie a good pruning!! Thanks so much for the input.

• ryan89
    9 years ago

Dont buy from a big box store. Try www.starkbros.com , www.raintreenursery.com , www.grandpasorchard.com. Ive had great luck woth these . I know starkbros preprunes there trees so all you have to do is plant it when you get it then prune the next year

• Gavin Gräbe
    7 years ago
    Hi, I bought a desert gold peach tree from a nursery in Feb this year. It's a 2-3yrs old tree i'm assuming. It's never been pruned and in spring I need to prune it. On inspection I found that it doesn't have a leader but a v-shaped only 5" off the ground. I don't know if I should remove the side branch and allow the upright to be the leader or if I should heavy prune and allow this odd v shape. Both branches are equally thick so I'm confused as to what to do? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
  • Jessica Brigham
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Note: I am the originator of this post and a self-taught gardener!

From my understanding, it's a great thing to have an established v-shape already, so YAY on your pickens! I would start by pruning for the three D's - dead, damaged or diseased. Also, the smaller branches I would completely cut back 10-20'' from the ground.

Also, be very cautious about when you prune in the spring. This past year, I pruned around my usual April 1st timeframe, and then we got hit with an untimely and detrimental frost that messed the entire growing season for so many plants. I'm in New Haven, Connecticut for reference.

My peach tree got inflicted with a serious case of leaf curl and I thought it would die! I saved it by making a homemade anti-fungal solution of water and oregano oil. I also gave it one dowse of a water and beach solution as a Hail Mary since the harvest for the year was shot. All these leaves had turned brown and fell off. Then, the tree came back with a fury, more than I could've imagined, and made a full recovery sprouting new leaves everywhere. :)

Next year when I prune, I will be dowsing the tree in my homemade oregano oil solution to hold back the spores that come with the spring season and could possibly reestablish a fresh case of leaf curl. It's good to do this as a preventive since they are so susceptible to the disease. I've read to remove and burn old leaves, but I haven't done this and am going to see how the solution helps alone.

If it's helpful, I'm also going to try this method on my peonies that caught leaf blotch this year, too.

• Gavin Gräbe
    7 years ago
    Jessica, Thank you so much. I'm in Palm Springs so very hot summers and our spring tends to start in End Jan/February.
    This year we had tremendous heat with temps into 126 on one occasion. and the peach gave me the least trouble-and survived no problem. I will prune all the small little branches that have sprouted and keep the healthier thicker branches to give it air and space up the centre.