Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamon01

Engineered hardwood floor help needed

cinnamon01
9 years ago

We are going to be selling our home and currently are on a slab with laminate, carpet, stained concrete and ceramic tile in bathrooms. I know first impressions to buyers is very important so we want to put in wood floors. Seeing as how we are on a slab foundation we are looking at the engineered. We will install ourselves so for ease want to use a click and lock design. There is about 2800 sq ft. Looked at Lumber Liquidators at a Virginia Mill works grand oak at 2.59 sq ft. Not seeing very good reviews online however. Can anyone suggest a product in the 2.50 price range? Because we are selling don't want to put in anything too trendy and of course need to keep the cost down. Appreciate any help given. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

One more thing to add, installing yourself would help keep the cost down, but being on a slab, and floating an engineered floor, you will have grinding to do on the concrete, or pouring some leveler. to do it right it will require more money for the equipment and supplies to get the slab flat enough, hiring that to be done is more than your budget right now.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

and putting in that money, wont necessarily mean you see that return on the selling price.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

DIYing a Bruce engineered hardwood click type floor was the single worst home improvement decision we made in our last house. Don't do it!

I agree with carpet replacement. Nothing plush (vacuum marks and foot prints look bad) and nothing too light in color.

We had a low pile, dark commercial carpet in our last (mid century modern style) house and LOVED it. Pattern loop carpet is being installed in our new house in two weeks.

My husband and I prefer carpet to hardwood; we're total flooring rebels :-)

• cinnamon01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

benjesbride why was the bruce engineered a bad decision? We have stained concrete in kitchen now so we know the cement is good/level and we installed the pergo in the living rm/halls and saw the other rooms before carpet was put in so the sanding leveling is not an issue. We general contracted 17 years ago so know it pretty well. Buyers don't like to see carpet want to see wood. Glue down is something we would be willing to do if needed. Was just hoping someone could give an honest recommendation of something they have used.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Well, If it's just to get the house sold, engineered wood might be good. I just never want to live with it again.

The seams between planks weren't tight (with the floating click floor) and the edges were slightly beveled, so crumbs and dirt would get stuck in there. If they weren't completely flush next to each other, our dog's claws hooked the edge of a planks and they got tiny chips.

We had to kind of baby it and catch every drop of liquid right away; around the sink/dishwasher area the wood grain kind of raised because of the moisture in that area, also near the fridge's water dispenser and the dog's area. A few of my friends have similar wood floors (I think one is glued though) and we all chose to keep old dishtowels on the floor at the ready for quick drips.

I'm not the average buyer. In our present whole house renovation I'm choosing finishes that are easy to maintain and durable. If I could have a house I could just hose down, I'd be happy :-)

Your realtor is probably your best advisor regarding what your target buyer wants. I have the perspective of what 7 year old floating engineered floor looks like, not the average buyer that will swoon over your new wood floors :-)