Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_jackson2357

Rough cedar beam... How to modernize

Rob Jackson
9 years ago

I have this rough cedar beam and I am replacing the balcony rail with stainless steel... What can I do to modernize the look of the beam? Thinking a white or grey maybe?

Comments (24)

• PRO
    REDesign Interiors
    9 years ago
    Go white it will make the railing disappear a bit.
    Rob Jackson thanked REDesign Interiors
  • Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

awesome decision to change the rail. we just got rid of a similar one and went with black tubular balusters with wood shoe and top rail.

that isnt looking like a beam to me, (beam says structural) that looks like a piece of trim board. if you don't like the color or the roughness, i'd say swap it out for what you do like. i'm not sure how it would look painted, you'd have all those nail holes to deal with. dark can be modern too.

Rob Jackson thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

REDdesign Interiors - I was thinking painting it white, but what kind of paint do you recommend?

• lauraoliver
    9 years ago

Following this thread as I want to make porch rails out of cedar ansd paint the rails white.

• PRO
    REDesign Interiors
    9 years ago

Rob, get a really good primer first. I've used many kinds of paint however the most important part is the prep work. Clean the railing, dust it thoroughly, prime it and then paint it. I like Behr paints at Home Depot. I love Benjamin Moore Paints. I like Olympic Zero at Lowe's. I love the low VOCs of Olympic. If I know I'm going to be in the space or kids are around I go for the Olympic. Sherwin Williams is great paint also, it is a bit thicker though.

• PRO
    REDesign Interiors
    9 years ago

I generally really talk to the paint person. I find out how much they know about paint, how long they have worked in that department, etc. You want a paint that performs well and has a great color.

• Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

REDesign - Remember this is just for the beam. The rail and slats are all going away and being replaced by a stainless steel or aluminum hand rail system (a brushed nickel look).

• miacometlady
    9 years ago

Wood can also be sanded down to make it smooth.

• Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK new question... the beam is no longer level... how should i level it? The picture is of one of the mounts for my top mount posts. Should i use shims and filler to cover the gap or should i some how sand or remove some of the material on the right side.

The beam is going to be painted before I mount the posts.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Since you are going with stainless steel balustrade, have you thought about covering the beams with roofing flashing?

• Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We decided to paint it white..

• dclostboy
    8 years ago

I would think a level surface would be better...and finished product easier on the eyes.

• Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I plan on leveling it, the question was how
  • AJ Johnston
    8 years ago

Is it a real beam or a board? If it's a board, pull it up and shim it. If it's a beam... you might have to get a contractor.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Cover the beam completely with new material. Match the flooring species and color on top shimming to make it level. Over hang the front enough to add a paintable pine or poplar board of front allowing for a molding as well. Cover the bottom also and add a bed or crown molding to the ceiling below.

• Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just thought you all might want to see what I decided on... It's partially done but I should have it done in the next week
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Looks great. What did you do on the top where it meets the flooring? Is that sheetrock covering the beam face?

• Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have a wood floor transition on top where the floor and the beam meet and the front is just painted with white wood stain paint. I sanded the bean lightly before painting it.
  • PRO
    REDesign Interiors
    8 years ago
    Rob, it looks fantastic!
  • mradkie
    5 years ago
    Rob I know this is an old post but I would like to know if you painted that cedar beam.....mine is identical! If you painted, what paint,etc. did you use.
  • Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Mradkie... I don’t remember what I used, I think I just used a standard interior eggshell paint?

I sanded the front side and kept the bottom natural but it’s still looking good.
  • Rob Jackson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s another angle
  • Melissa Huffman
    4 years ago

Phenomenal transformation!