Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary8153

Please help with Master Bath Floorplan

mary8153
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to finalize my master bath and can't seem to decide amongst a few variations. I was hoping to get some feedback on the three options or any other ideas as to how to make it better
thanks so much
Mary
1) Open shower with curbing

2) Closed shower

3) Closed shower angled tub

Comments (17)

• bpath
    9 years ago

You didn't ask this part but...the linen closet in the hall, which rooms does it serve? Could it instead be a cabinet where, say, the top is doors opening to the hall, and the bottom is drawers opening to your water closet? So you have TP and other necessities handy.

mary8153 thanked bpath
  • Lavender Lass
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just a quick idea. Have you considered a 'rain' shower?

A little over the top, but I love this picture :)

mary8153 thanked Lavender Lass
  • mary8153
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpathome, thanks for the interesting idea. I will need to think about it. I'm sure my husband would love it but I would be afraid he would turn it into his man cave. The linen closet by the hall as drawn would serve as a linen closet for the kids. Did you have any thoughts on the three options?
    LL, thanks again. I will most likely put in a rain shower. I haven't fully fleshed out the wall panel gadgets either. Interesting rearrangement of the shower heads and seat. It seems more functional but I kind of like the wall of glass facing the tub. I think that it adds to keeping the space feeling more open. I love that bath tub pic too...unfortunately dh would freak.

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

Well, that means you're doing your job! LOL Just kidding :)

The glass wall would be more open, but the solid wall would give you a little more privacy. Call me crazy, but I really like to have a closed shower...and it's not that I'm normally that worried about the way I look. I just don't think I'm at my best rinsing shampoo out of my hair.

And mirrors (on the bath tub side of that wall) will bounce the light around, too!

• cpartist
    9 years ago

I don't remember what age group you are in. I know that for my age group, we avoid any step ups or curbs if we can. LOL. My choice would be the second one. I can tell you that right now in my condo I have a 6' x 3' shower and it's huge. It doesn't seem it on paper, but in actuality it is more than enough for 2 people to shower together. I think 7' is probably overkill. What I also like about the middle one, is you can build some shelving on the wall against the WIC for towels, and whatever else you'd want.

mary8153 thanked cpartist
  • mary8153
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks CP, we are in our 40s but its never to early to plan ahead:). I just squared off the shower dimensions and you are right about the 7 ft overkill. I am also thinking I will place both shower heads against the right side wall. My dh keeps referring to the crossing shower heads as his sexy time shower but I think that they are just too close. I wonder if I should angle the bottom left hand corner to make for a better access door.

• tcufrog
    9 years ago

I actually shortened my shower and created a small undressing area. It's going to have towel and robe hooks high up on the wall and a stool or bench below the hooks. It won't take up much space but it will solve the problem of where to hang stuff, will look nice and will save me money on tile, labor and waterproof backerboard. An area like that between your tub and shower would look nice.

mary8153 thanked tcufrog
  • Stephanie Sims_Arnold
    9 years ago

I like option 2 best.

mary8153 thanked Stephanie Sims_Arnold
  • mary8153
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. I think option 2 is looking better and better.

CP I also measured out a 6'x4' space and it seems to be plenty big.

TCU if i shorten the shower anymore I will lose my shower door.

Does anyone have any thoughts on an angled door.

• cpartist
    9 years ago

Mary, how wide is your shower door right now?

• mary8153
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cpartist, the glass wall is 2'8" from the bathroom door so I imagine I
    could make the whole area a door or have a small have a 2'4" door with a
    +/-4" stationary piece of glass. I wonder if an angled door
    would help with the aesthetics so as to not have a sharp corner
    projecting into the middle of the room and kind of complement the opposite corner entry.

something along these lines

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

And the bench would also be a good place to put a small tray with a cup of tea...or a glass of wine :)

• cpartist
    9 years ago

Personally i don't see the problem with the way the tub is. I like it better than turning the tub on the side because the way Mary has it puts it under the windows.

Mary I like the angled shower. Think it works well. Of course you will lose a few feet so you might want to first tape it out on the floor.

Or better still, leave the shower as is, but instead of making the side facing the tub full glass, make the bottom half solid and the top half glass.

• mary8153
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks LL and CP, great ideas to think about. I particularly like the solid half wall idea. As far as a place to put my drink, isn't that what DH is for:)

I was also thinking I would put a makeup table/desk with chair against the left hand wall which also happens to be a good place for DH to lean against while he is holding my wine glass:)

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

I like the half wall/half glass idea, too! But with tub turned and bench added :)

Yes, your DH could be used for that, but then if he takes a bath......

• mary8153
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol:) ok then I could see the value of the bench