Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigi35976

Going green ... Dark green that is!

gigi35976
9 years ago

Hoping for some help with paint color for my tiny living room. This room is open to my red dining room. I like color - the more the better & I really am a layered look fan. The room is 12' x 14' in a circa 1940's cottage.

So, I want my strong color back & have my heart set on a dark green for this room - am considering something like BM Colonial Verdigris.

Here is a photo of the room. Hope it is properly oriented as this is my first try at posting a photo from my iPad. Any suggestions for a strong, dark green? Actually I welcomer any suggestions - except de-cluttering! Lol!

Comments (64)

• User
    9 years ago

you could also soften the apple green with some gray, so its a sagey apple green. I'm a huge color lover too and totally understand it being a safe choice for you, but for me, my safer colors are the ones I am most comfortable in so whenever I try to switch it up a notch, I eventually end up going back to what I love. I sort of relate it to traveling. Going somewhere new is always fun at first, but in the end there is just no place like home.

• nini804
    9 years ago

How about this? I adore this room & this green...it is the 2013 Southern Living Idea House designed by Phoebe Howard. I am trying to find the name of the paint! Will post when I do.

• nini804
    9 years ago

I found it!! SW Palm Leaf!

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh my daughter used palm leaf in her main floor half bath, it's a pretty green too! Itisn't that dark in her little spot tho

• gigi35976
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nini that Palm Leaf is gorgeous & the light upholstery looks great with it. My room has west facing door/window & one north facing window. It's dim in the morning but very light in afternoon. No overhead light at all - only lamps & the sconces on dimmers. I usually use SW paint so will make a stop there on my way to BM.

It reminds me of Mary McWilliams home featured in Southern Living many years ago. As soon as I saw your photo I got my idea folder with these pictures & she even gave paint colors (SW Vert Olive). They probably don't even have that color anymore but thank you for reminding me how much I liked her room. Hers was an older cottage and she use olive, red & gold beautifully.

You just can't go wrong if you stick with what you love & I so, so do not love grey!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Avocado

SW Artichoke

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

sw saguaro

• awm03
    9 years ago

Here are Colonial Verdigris & Timson Green...more or less. The colors & shading aren't exact. But you can get an idea of a darker green versus a yellower green at least. Click on the picture to enlarge. Pretty room. I'm wanting wide Pickwick paneling just like yours for my family room redo.

• awm03
    9 years ago

And here's Georgian Green on the left and Artichoke on the right to show a gray green and a soft sage green.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Awm, can you try it with the Greenbrook? I love that color for that room; would love to get an idea of it.

• gigi35976
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awm thank you so much for the samples - I need to learn how to do that. I was quite taken by the Artichoke & the Verdigris looks wonderful ... not as dark as I thought it might be. I'm trying to narrow down the suggestions to 5 or 6 to get samples. Those 2 & the Palm Leaf are on the list for sure. While I think some of the lighter greens are lovely I'm really set on something darker.

I had no idea what the paneling was called ... will have to google Pickwick & learn more. I've been trying to find out what this strange stuff is but no luck. Had some water damage a few years ago and it was awful ... it just dissolved. It almost seems like some kind of compressed paper & it is tricky to hang things. The previous owner had wallpaper & liner over all of it (it's everywhere in the house) & I spent weeks removing that stuff, but promptly re-papered the kitchen & bath!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Take a look at Benjamin Moore Color Stories line. They use no gray or black in their mixes so you are getting true color, not dead color. We chose a deep blue for our pub ceiling and it is so alive! About 10 shades of blue from reflections. We love Benjamin Moore Color Stories. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-stories/elemental-greens

• Kelly Fumarola
    9 years ago

We also love color and painted our adjoined front room and living room BM Winding Vines. It is a dark color, but we love it! The rooms don't get a ton of light either, but it just feels cozy. Especially in winter. I say go for it.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Farrow and Ball has a new green out that i like called Calke Green.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Here's Greenbrook on the right. Remember, these renditions aren't 100% true, just close enough to give you an idea about light, dark, yellowish, grayish, blue-ish, or olive-ish greens.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Thanks for doing that, Awm.

Yes, I really like the Greenbrooke. I think it's very sophisticated.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

From your description, I'm wondering if your walls are homasote? My in-laws have homasote on their walls, and it's similar to what you describe. We have deep green walls in our bedroom, a Behr color put on by the previous owners. It's so rich and cozy. It's a dark color, but with our south facing windows, we really like it.

• lizzierobin
    9 years ago

Gigi, I have a lower level rec room and office painted in a color very close to BM Colonial Verdigris; both rooms have dark wood wainscoting. (I love the dark green). With your light colored furniture, the squares of light colors in your rug, and some of your accessories being light, or having light colors within them, ...I can envision these items popping. Plus, your dark wood furniture would look great against this classic color. I think you should go for it. Besides, if you decide you don't like it, you can always repaint. But, I have a feeling, that won't be the case. :)

• gigi35976
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Homasote sounds exactly right Laughable - thank you. One upside is hat there is solid wood behind it so no stud finding ever needed.

I appreciate the encouraging words for the Colonial Verdigris from everyone. I've just got a feeling about that one. Awm's mockup really helped. Actually you have all been very helpful & I can't wait to get some sample boards up. Will post some pix for sure & take a totally impartial poll (think verdigris) Lol!

• hancockheather
    9 years ago

My mom just did this exact combo -- strong red with a green. She used Olive Branch by Benjamin Moore and it's beautiful. I would be careful about the undertones with the green so it goes with the red. Red has a warm undertone, so you want a green with a warm undertone -- think olive (brown or yellow undertone) rather than a gray-green or a blue-green. Also, you need something deep enough in tone to hold it's own against the red -- no "wimpy" greens. Now this doesn't mean it needs to be Christmas-tree green to go with your red. It just needs to be dark enough to not look washed out. I would go with a green that looks almost brown on the chip to avoid the Christmas problem. The brown undertone will also give you the warmth and coziness you want. My mom's Olive Branch has that feel but definitely reads green. Another popular color is BM Baby Turtle, this reads browner but still green. Even further brown, some other pretty deep browns with greenish undertones are Northampton Putty or Clarksville Gray from BM's historic collection. You'll be surprised that the right green will likely look brown on the chip, but green when you hold it against white or especially red (across the color wheel). Being next to the red room will make any green tones in your paint look even greener.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Not sure if you'd be interested in Behr, but I checked and our bdrm is Bahia Grass. Have fun sampling! : )

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I apologize that I haven't read the whole thread, but as I scroll through, I see a lot of olive green. Unfortunately, it is probably my least favorite shade of green. Mom and I always used to disagree as it was one of her favorites.

Be that as it may, I'd like to suggest a deep green that is not in the olive family. This is a BM affinity color....boreal forest. I think it has wonderful body and would contrast nicely with the light colored furniture in your room.

• tracie_erin
    9 years ago

We did Behr Truly Olive in our master bedroom. The online swatch is very similar to SW Artichoke. I planned to go one or two lighter on the strip but DH wanted to go darker and I'm glad we did. I'm surprised how much I love it. We decorated with a blue rug and quilt, black picture frames, orb hardware, and our furniture is a dark reddish stain.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I love the Colonial Verdigris! I think the mock up looks great. Go for it!

• gigi35976
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE with samples:

What a difference tha samples make. Again, thank you everyone for your suggestions - they were all good. The lighter colors I didn't sample simply because I've had similar shades before, know they will look great but I'm looking for something darker & different this time.

Very pleased with the olive, bronze samples - they really look wonderful in the room.

Colonial Verdigris is a bit scary at first but I'm going to give it a few days in different light before a final decision.

Here's a pic of the samples - I don't think it really does them justice - they're so much richer in person. The final four are:

Upper left is Palm Leaf. A dark olive with strong brown undertones.

Upper right is Relentless Olive. I had this mixed from an old SW color from Southern Living. Olive with yellow undertones.

Lower left is Artichoke. A medium green that looks great on its own but takes on blue undertones here,

Lower right is Colonial Verdigris. Darkest of all with decided blue undertones.

i could be happy with any of these but there are 2 that are especially calling to me. What do you say Garden Webbers?

One more pic in different light

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Palm Leaf! Definitely! Relentless Olive, if you want more green and the Artichoke is taking on blue.

(But I do wish you'd sample that Greenbrook! Something about that color is telling me it's the right one! :-))

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

In the second picture, the top left looks almost brown. I like top right or bottom left, but on my monitor they look almost identical.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Wow, TL and BR don't even look like part of your quest.

BL and TR look identical. I think I prefer TR. What the heck can be Relentless about Olive? Maybe they mean Olive Kitteridge.

• User
    9 years ago

Jeeze, mtn, it took me forever to figure out what TL and BR meant. I thought it was the paint name and thought I missed something.

I like RO. :)

• gigi35976
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this is why we should always try samples! I do wish colors could show a little truer on a screen. Even sitting here with the samples and the picture on screen in front of me they look quite different.

Tib. I didn't sample the Greenbrook because it looked to brownish to me but then the Palm Leaf also has a lot of brown & I am, surprisingly, quite taken with it. The sconce shades will have to change though!

Nosoccermom those two do look the same in the picture but the TR is really a yellow green and the BL a blue green. Both are lovely in person.

Mtn who names these colors? Lol! I love the Relentless Olive but I wasn't really looking for relentless, persistent maybe but that's as far as I want to go. It does have a yellow undertone in strong light but is a true olive otherwise.

When I first saw the Colonial Verdigris on line it looked very olive green to me but in person it skews strongly blue - at least in my room. Sadly, not the look I wanted.

As said above, I will be dithering over these for a while but I have a strict limit on dithering - 3 days max.

• lizzierobin
    9 years ago

Wow...good to know that we need to rely on samples. I will definitely keep that in mind.

• PRO
    www.therugshopuk.co.uk
    9 years ago

Your room is very nicely decorated, awesome indeed. Living in a cottage
    like room is very cosy especially in winter months. When it comes to
    colour I'll prefer bottle green somewhere in the room with the peach
    coloured curtains.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

3 days of dithering. What's the decision?

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

Good choice, looks great.

• User
    9 years ago

Nice! So much better with the red walls and dark wood than blue-toned greens.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

It looks beautiful.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• 2pups4me
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Oooh, Relentlessly pretty :-)

I love it, it looks gorgeous!

• roarah
    9 years ago

What a beautiful home! And I love the green you have chosen.

• lizzierobin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Please post a picture of your couch area when you're done painting the walls. It looks great so far!

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

Love it! Great choice!

• Debbie Downer
    8 years ago

What color is the celing in the green room? Ive been on an eternal quest for green and would love something besides white abpve the picture rail... but WhAT. The possibilities are endless.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

looks great! it's a different look than I was picturing, but a very nice one! :)

• theclose
    8 years ago

Looks wonderful! Enjoy.

• gigi35976
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kashka the ceiling is white. Will post more pix as progress is made but it's moving slowly. Ah, for the days when I could get this done in just hours. Lol!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Gigi, first off I love your home. It has a cozy elegance about it that just is so enticing. So many of your beautiful belongings remind me of my DM's home. She had lovely taste as do you.

The Relentless Olive looks perfect! I am so anxious to see your room when the painting is finished.

Mtn, LOL over your comment on Olive Kitteridge, she was indeed relentless.

ET change a word

• the_foxes_pad
    8 years ago

It's hard to do red & green w/o it looking like an explosion in a Christmas outlet Factory but man when it's done right!!!!!!! Always been jealous that I couldn't pull the red/ green combo off so I learned to live vicariously through other homes done this way. Your place is beautiful!

• gigi35976
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Holly-Kay, your words warm my heart & your love for your DM comes through!

Foxes,lol, yes the whole Christmas explosion thing was a factor in this decision but I remembered how happy these colors always make me feel...so I just went for it.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH