Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moogers

Can Anyone Help With Color, Texture and Layering?

moogers
8 years ago
I have started over with my formal living room of 20 years. I am looking for a much more relaxed area. I put in bead board and hardwood floors. I am getting rid of everything but the sofa and window blinds. The rugs are new. They have to stay. Curtain panels will be installed today. They are the floral fabric. I also have a formal dining table, buffet and chairs that I sent out to be stripped, and I will need to make a decision on how to refinish those. What I need:
1. Two chairs for the living room
2. Coffee table. Thinking upholstered ottoman.
3. Side tables
4. New lamps
5. New chandelier for dining room
6. Two end chairs for the dining room table
7. Paint color above bead board, but that will come last

What I like and don't like:
1. No matchy-matchy
2. Natural fibers. Nothing velvet, etc.
3. Like checks, stripes, polka dots, small prints
4. Like to mix colors, just not sure how to do it
5. No blue
6. Love earth tones, like tans, ochres, greens, cinnamons

As you can see, I am struggling with fabrics, patterns, textures and colors. I need help! Don't want to make any mistakes. I want the room to look collected over time. Can any guide me, please?

Comments (94)

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I also love the red window pane check, so I'm glad to get some affirmation. Thank you, libra, for all of your help. I am very grateful.
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Question: Which is considered less formal, a legged chair or a skirted chair?
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Depends on the leg! It all depends on the chair itself - what chair form is under consideration?

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

You can probably find links to every different fabric online and post the links - then we can look them up.

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Love the floral fabric, a small plaid would look good with that. Yes a nice sage green paint on walls would look great. Hope pics help
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The chairs I'm thinking about are the Barton chair and the Imagine That chair on the Norwalkfurniture.com website. I could COM the red checked fabric. There is also a big reddish polka dot and cream fabric available on the site called Well Rounded. Thoughts?
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have problems posting photos so I'm no help there, however you asked a question about being notified. I think you will need to go to your own profile to find out how to be notified. I hope this answered one of your questions, anyway. I usually think of skirted furniture as being more formal traditional.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Remember paint is the last job to do in your room. You will need to use sample cans to do that, too.

• Nancy Walton
    8 years ago

Here is Imagine That chair in a different fabric, Vera. I don't think the Well Rounded would not work, the scale is too large, and the red is not a salmon red.

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much, Nancy! I saw that fabric and really liked it. Do you think the background is too white? It does pull in the color of the trim and bead board from the room. I should get my red check fabric samples next week, and I will post them for everyone's thoughts, including the picture Nancy just posted. I just want everyone to know how much I really appreciate them taking the time to help me. :)
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sandra, I agree with you about the paint color. I was just getting a little ahead of myself, but I do know that paint will be one of the last things I decide on.
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Also, I will have both drapery panels hung in a few days. Please be patient with me...Just priming and painting the rings now, plus have a son graduating from college tomorrow and a garage sale at my house on Thursday. Need more hours in my days!
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Finally got both curtain panels up. Got more fabric samples, too! I love the chevron, but hesitate to use it for chairs because it may be trendy? I'd rather use it on chair seats that I can change out easily and inexpensively on a whim. Thoughts, please? Still the red/tan check? Getting impatient with myself to make decisions, so I'd like to get moving on it so the room will be done by Christmas! Anyone?
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Opened the blinds hoping I would get better lighting...it's really hard. Maybe first thing in the morning.
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

Maybe you could lay the drapes across the chair and take the picture.

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Good idea. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks!
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I think I have decided for sure on this red/tan fabric for the chairs. Can anyone help me with an opinion, please?
  • Nancy Walton
    8 years ago

Good choice, Moogie!

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

I'm 100% with you

• PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    8 years ago
    We would be a great fit! My interiors are traditional, collected, & timeless. They also feel very lived in. Please take a moment and look at my website. You may contact me through my site and I would love to send you options. I have been in this business for 15 years and went to school for design. I can work with clients from afar.

www.KimNielsenInteriors.com
    Best,
    Kim
  • Mark
    8 years ago

I really like the red/tan check too !

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok. I will order the fabric this week! What's next? Coffee table or end tables? I'd kind of like a square coffee table, and have thought about an upholstered ottoman/coffee table, but would the upholstery be too much fabric? Do I need wood for some balance and contrast? Also, these are the pictures I want to incorporate in the room(s) someplace. They from Etsy and are printed on art paper from original photos.
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here are three more from the series that I could have framed or switch with another.
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ps. Thanks SO much far taking the time to help me!
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

Coffee Table. End tables are on the perimeter so aren't usually seen but you'll definitely want a coffee table that will impress.

• Mark
    8 years ago

The chair rail is quite high so I think two rows of the pictures would be to high, but are the pictures large enough to put one row above the sofa ?

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks, Mark! I think they are. So anyone have an opinion on a coffee table/ottoman?
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

If you are going for more relaxed, then an ottoman will help signal that and a large one would give you room for a tray that addresses any functional issues. Your pattern layering really comes in here though .. in front of the pale sofa . .your ottoman fabric print needs to have some pale elements and that may not be as practical. A more rustic coffee table selection is another way to go . . would send a big signal straight off .. I would be interested for you to go to a large purveyor of tables and just see what you liked . throw out several . . or maybe someone here loves to do that shopping - (swamped at work this week myself) . . I would like to see the row of pictures be an odd number if that fits .. love the umbrella and think you may want to add one of the others that has more red to balance the strong color when you put these up .. . some of them are monochromatic enough that the umbrella might feel too disjointed in the series without the others having more color too . .

• Mark
    8 years ago

I hope this picture demonstrates how I think the room could look.
    First the soft pale yellow sofa would have to tie in with your drapes and chairs so I would add cushions and throw blanket that has the colors in the other fabrics so that the sofa does not just float in the room.
    Secondly I would avoid a material ottoman and wood. I go for more texture and add a rattan or wicker ottoman as shown in the picture. I would go for a more "collected" look. You could even have painted end tables such as in this picture too. The whole look of this room is welcoming and looks like it evolved over time.
    I would then introduce some nice rich wood in the form of a console where the secretary is.
    I hope this helped :)

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Mark and Libra, thanks for your thoughts! Libra, a light-toned fabric ottoman would be fine. I also like Mark's idea of wicker or rattan. That hadn't crossed my mind. I have been looking on and off for something antique, like a wooden trunk, but haven't found anything yet. I really like your vision for the room, Mark. I make pillows for a hobby, so I have probably 30 cases of different sizes and colors and swap out the inserts to change things up. I could also make several if need be. Keep the ideas coming. I am ordering the fabric and chairs this weekend, so I'm hoping for maybe six weeks. Would anyone keep the round table and get a different topper, or should I look for wooden ones?
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Heres a fabric I ran across on sale which seems like it should work with your original drapery . . check it against your check http://www.calicocorners.com/p-5184-tex-weave-robert-allen-fabrics-coral.aspx

Like the rattan ..

• Mark
    8 years ago

moogers I don't like to say things are dated but the round table with the cover is not going to add anything to your room. I think you should keep your eye out for interesting wood tables from antique stores, thrift stores etc. that already have a nice patina or ones that can be painted. I think the key to making your room warm and inviting and interesting will be layering it with unique pieces.

moogers have you chose a chair frame ?

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is a coffee table I found online. Also comes in rectangular.

Uttermost Samuelle Wooden Coffee Table · More Info

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anybody like these?

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mark, thinking of the Barton and Well Rounded chairs on the Norwalkfurniture.com website. Will go to the showroom today or tomorrow to find out how much fabric I need to order.

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

19th C. Kerala Coffee Table · More Info

Restoration Hardware

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wayfair

Birch Lane Esmont Woven Coffee Table · More Info

• Mark
    8 years ago

I "LOVE" the woven coffee table from Wayfair, I want one myself now :) That would be my first choice moogers.

• Nancy Walton
    8 years ago

I like the rattan campaign trunk. It looks like it has storeis to tell...

• Charlene Ambrose
    8 years ago

I'm with Mark: the woven coffee table from Wayfair would look great, but the campaign trunk - is also interesting.

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just thought I'd post an update on my living room/dining room, because I hate it when everyone is left hanging. It took me a whole year, but it's finally finished. It was trial and error and rearranging furniture. I kept my couch. Bought a coffee table and two chairs for the living room. Two vintage doors help separate the two spaces at the pillars. Had my dining room table and serving table refinished, with new legs on the table. All new chairs, plus wall unit from Pottery Barn. I think it looks and feels so much less formal and much more relaxed. Thanks, everyone!
  • moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A few more pictures...
  • Mark
    8 years ago

It's just lovely ! You have made each room look like it took years of collecting special pieces and it all came together beautifully. I'm especially happy to see the check chairs make it into the livingroom. You accomplished your goal to make it less formal but oh so cozy and comfortable.

Great job !!!

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks, Mark! It was your encouragement that helped me make the decision to use that fabric. Thanks again!
  • Mark
    8 years ago

My pleasure. I'm so happy that you gave us an update because it was so worth it ! Pat yourself on your back !

• moogers
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Mark, I'm about to post a color dilemma for one wall in my great room. I trust your judgment. Would you help a bit if you have time?
  • weathy
    8 years ago
    Nice job. I live that you used the chevron fabric on the DR head chairs. Both spaces look great.
  • Mark
    8 years ago

@moogers post away ! If I'm not on there will be many to help you I'm sure.

• Charlene Ambrose
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update! It looks great. You are right - many people never post their finished look. Fun to see yours! Hope you are enjoying it.

• PRO
    TWO COUSINS MANSORY
    7 years ago

Good luck on your project!! hope it all works out well