Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

Jersey Boy VS Red Rose

hudson___wy
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Many are of the opinion that Red Rose and Jersey Boy are a duplicate variety - just with different names and different origins. I don't know if there is a difference in the tomato productivity, size, appearance and taste from each variety - so I decided to plant them both this year and find out. I planted them from seeds the same day - planted them in the GH the same day - and planted them side by side so their treatment will be identical throughout the growing season - then you can be the judge if there is any difference between the plants.

Here is Tomato Growers description of the Red Rose Variety: Red Rose #5818 (30 seeds) This cross between Brandywine and Rutgers produces good yields of 6 to 10 oz. delicious dark pink fruit. Disease and crack-resistance are inherited from Rutgers, and the tomato's taste and texture is more like that of Brandywine. Indeterminate. 85 days.

Here is Burpee's description of Jersey Boy:

Fantastic hybrid of Brandywine and Rutgers.

Burpee Exclusive

We call it “Supertomato.” Superfragrant. Supertasty. Superproductive. Breakthrough hybrid is the delicious offspring of two legendary tomatoes. ‘Jersey Boy’s 8 oz. fruits brilliantly joins together ‘Brandywine’s sublime sweet-sour tang with ‘Rutgers’ classic rich color, shapeliness, yield and performance. Indeterminate.

I will follow the progress of both plants and provide updates at regular intervals. If any of you are planting these varieties are want to weigh in on any aspect of these tomato varieties - please contribute on this thread !!

Comments (29)

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

So far the RR seems to have a slight edge.

I am doing a similar experiment with Big Beef. One is OP and the other F1 hybrid. Some claim that the OP is stabilized version of the hybrid. Anyway , I am growing them side by side to find out. So far the F1 has flower but not the OP, yet.

Sey

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sey - have you started your thread yet? Please post your progress - would like to see your comparison

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hudson, Yes I have : The name of the thread in Big Beef ... Finally.
    First I found an OP version. Then I got a hybrid .. That is how it evolved .
    I am keeping a diary on them.

Here is the link

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2994428/big-beef-finally?n=45

Sey

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update: Both varieties appear almost identical at this point. Both have developed the 1st truss and the 2nd truss is developing. The 1st truss on the Red Rose has 8 blossoms - the Jersey Boy has 4 blossom - that appears to be the only difference. I have left the sucker on both plants for the 2nd main stem - they are almost in the identical location.

Red Rose

Jersey Boy

• sjetski
    8 years ago

Interesting, another good thread to keep track of.

Can hardly wait to see the results.

May the best tomato win.

Steve

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now there is a noticable difference between Red Rose and Jersey Boy. The leaves on the Red Rose are smaller and more narrow and the foliage is not as dense.

Red Rose:

The Jersey Boy leaves are larger and wider and the foliage is more dense. The Jersey Boy is also about 2"s taller in total height.

Jersey Boy:

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

Yeah. The leaves on the first one looks like dandelion.
    So, it is less likely for them be of the same variety.
    But the real proof comes with the fruits.

Sey

• wormgirl_8a_WA
    8 years ago

Wow! They looked nearly identical - and then suddenly, they didn't. What an exciting development!

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It appears breeding tomatoes can be more complicated than I thought. Two different companies - breeding the same parents does not mean getting the same result? Open or closed pollination must have a lot to do with it too - and the individual parent's history? As these two plants grow - it is obvious that they are not the same - even though the have the same parents.

Red Rose:

Jersey Boy:

• daniel_nyc
    8 years ago

Nice Hudson.

I had Rose last year.

Big, tasty, not very productive,

1 lb. 5 oz.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow - I didn't realize Rose got that large Daniel. Did you like it enough to plant it again? I don't think Jersey Boy will get that large. So far - I like the JB plant better but neither plant is large enough to set fruit - yet.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update: Red Rose is on the left - Jersey Boy is on the right. Both plants have been pruned to 4 main stems. The Jersey Boy is about 4-6 inches taller than Red Rose but the most significant difference in my GH is the number of fruit set per plant. Red Rose has set 6 fruit - Jersey Boy has set 41 fruit !!! Please don't tell me there isn't a difference between Red Rose and Jersey Boy (same parents - both hybrids) I have proven there is a difference - at least in our GH. Now maybe the opposite is true in your environment and you will have to plant both varieties for comparison to find out. There is still a taste comparison to come.

• daniel_nyc
    8 years ago

Don't know about Jersey Boy, but Rose, last year in my garden was NOT productive - about 6-8 fruits. But yes, the tomatoes were BIG and TASTY. I would plant it again. Expect 6-8 or even 10 ft. long vines.

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Daniel, did you mean the Red Rose that Hudson is growing, or Rose, the Heirloom?

As you know I have Rose, the heirloom, going, and I'll let you know about yields. I haven't counted, but I know I have some plants with a decent number of fruits, and others with only a few.

So far they are averaging 6 1/2', going on 7' tall.

• daniel_nyc
    8 years ago

Ooops, I was talking about Rose... the heirloom...

Thank you rgreen48 for bringing it up.

Rose and Red Rose same tomato?

Question about red rose or rose tomato

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Daniel - yes - I defined Jersey Boy & Red Rose on the first post. They are both hybrids and both have the same parents. Some on this forum have stated that there was no difference in the varieties -- Just the name. I planted them both to find out. I disagree - I found a significant difference !!

• daniel_nyc
    8 years ago

You know
    Hudson, I think a better way to compare two varieties, is to buy 10 seeds of
    each variety, from 10 different sellers. Imo, this is a more scientific way to
    decide between two varieties.

Last year
    me, and a few others, planted Stupice. Most - me included - were not happy with
    the variety: too late / too small / too few tomatoes.

THIS
    year, I see some here in this forum, that they are happy with Stupice.
    That
    makes me think that maybe, just MAYBE last year, my seeds and the seeds of other
    "unhappy" Stupice growers, were not as "good" as this
    year's growers seeds.

JMO.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Daniel - I agree! You make a good point with the Stupice example. One plant is not a scientifically accurate to come to a conclusion! However - actually growing both varieties has got to be more scientific than someone making a comment that their is no difference between them because they both have the same parents - and that they just have different names - IMO. The only effective method to evaluate/compare varieties is for the gardener to figure it out - IMO

• daniel_nyc
    8 years ago

Most of those who planted Stupice last year - 2014 - did it because in the forum, in the previous year - 2013 - Stupice had EXCELLENT reviews...

So, in 2013 and 2015, people was happy with Stupice; in 2014 they were... not.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is a comparison of production:

Red Rose

Jersey Boy

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Reading your posts makes me curious if you'll find that the fruits will look and taste similar. Time and the taste will tell, but since there is distinct differences in those plants (even though it's just a quick side by side and not fully conclusive) maybe people think they are the same from the look and taste of the fruits?

They seem to have slightly different colors now, but pics are deceptive. Since they are said to have the same parents (if not different gene expressions) the final product could be similar.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have an older Jersey Boy plant that is producing and we have eaten several of the tomatoes already. The color is about the same - here is a truss from the older Jersey Boy.

Jersey Boy has a deep red color and average 8-10 oz in weight. A nice looking tomato - I think!

Jersey Boy has a great taste too! It is meaty and has a great tomato flavor !! I can recommend this variety! It will be several weeks before the Red Rose is ripe and ready to taste and compare.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There are some fused blossoms also on Jersy Boys - creating larger sized fruit !!

This one weighs in at 17 oz.

• daniel_nyc
    8 years ago

Nice tomato, but the support / trellis, super sturdy.
    I'm a huge fan of solid things.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My comparison is completely subjective. If there is one thing that I have learned from comparing tomato varieties - it is - the comparison is only valid in my GH & results may still vary from year to year. Having clarified that - I will not plant Red Rose in future years. Even though it has the same parents - it does not produce the same for us !!!

This is the largest of 5 tomatoes on the Red Rose plant - that won't work - no matter how good the flavor - in my GH. I don't have enough space to grow plants that produce 5 tomatoes on the entire plant !!

The Jersey Boy has 3-7 tomatoes on most trusses and has over 50 tomatoes on the side by side plant. Here are a few photos of the Jersey Boy.

We still need to taste the Red Rose when we get a ripe one.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

Hudson, I think your comparison is pretty "objective" in terms of productivity, growing them in the same GH, under the same conditions. I would've picked Jersey Boy too. After all, that is where you would be be growing in the future .

Actually, if a tomato did not do well in your near ideal growing environment, how could it do better elsewhere ??!!

Sey

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Red Rose was the first to ripen of the side by side plants - I like the taste of Red Rose better than Jersey Boy but the poor production of Red Rose doesn't make up for the difference in taste!! IMO

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Well, the results are in... same parents perhaps, but not the same cultivar by any measure.

Jersey Boy took Hudson's top spot by far in northern greenhouse productivity. However, if taste is the priority, then perhaps Red Rose isn't a complete dud.

To test habitat favorability and performance under stress, it looks like an outdoors test with the plants subjected to the elements is now in order.

Well done.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes - rgreen - I agree !! I try to call it like I see it and let the gardener grow for themselves and make their own comparison/conclusions !! Red Rose is not a dud indeed and may be the best option in other growing environments !!