Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robgillison

Our house needs curb appeal

robgillison
11 years ago
Any suggestions as to how we can give our house some much needed curb appeal? We are going to paint the house, but first we'd like any suggestions to make the house look more inviting / interesting.

Comments (5)

• AMN
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    This house has tons of potential! Super cute.

What is your style?

It looks like you already have nice looking hardscape with the mix of brick pavers and concrete.

It's hard to tell from the pic. Is that a brick planter that runs along the front of the house? If so, consider knocking that out (and all the current plantings with it). Replace with voluptuous, curvy beds and fluffy plantings that take care of the front of the house, taper onto the walkway to the porch, and maybe the big tree in front.

Pick a fabulous color and add it in a few ways: glossy planting urn(s), front door, flowers, etc.

If the lighting fixture is old, freshen it up with a new one.

Not sure what's going on in front of the right-hand support of the porch. Is that a vine or something? Needs to be attended to.

Last question. Is there a brick wall to the left of the house or is that a wooden gate?

Some more pictures from more angles would be helpful.

This house is so great. Whatever you do to the front, the house will work nicely with you and make the final product look fab.

Here are some paint schemes and look ideas if you want to try something bold.
    A storybook cottage by Gelotte Hommas Architecture · More Info

A storybook cottage by Gelotte Hommas Architecture · More Info

Cloud Residence · More Info

Lafayette Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Roma Design-Build, Inc.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with many of the points of AMN.

If you're not already planning to do this, I would remove the large tree from the front yard - it looks like it has been severely topped. That is an incredibly strong and unsightly visual element - a focal point. I would remove this tree first. Careful and extensive stump grinding or possible excavation will have to be performed.

This house definitely has potential!
  • AMN
    11 years ago
    Oh wow! I didn't even notice the top of the tree! I was just looking at human level. Good point, Roma Design-Build.
  • PRO
    Roma Design-Build, Inc.
    11 years ago
    AMN,

Your suggestions about what to do to improve the landscape show that you know what you're talking about. I'm sure you would notice the tree. I have missed things in photos.
  • John Seiffert
    11 years ago
    A more interesting roof would help when it's time, ie fake slate or flat tile roofing material. Structural engineer is advised if tile roof happens. Large round columns to replace existing. Follow advice from landscape experts.