Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mississippimagpie

Will these gladiolus "babies" bloom?

I planted dollar store glads last year and didn't bother to lift them as our winters are mild and I decided I'd just plant more if they didn't come up this year. They did come back up but along with the original big plant I've got all these little shoots coming up too. Does anyone know if these "baby" shoots will grow to bloom size as well? They're definitely smaller than the original plant that came back up so I'm interested to see what they will do.

Comments (4)

• duluthinbloomz4
    8 years ago

t might take several years for the new plants to mature, but they should produce bloom stalks eventually. The new plants are from the little cormlets that form around the old corm.

• logixsti
    8 years ago

the if they are much smaller they probably wont. my family calls me the crazy gardener because I'm supposedly all about "perennial" gardens yet all my favs have to/are supposed to be pulled up every fall...then replanted over and over. bulbs/tubers like Dahlias and Gladiolas create a good number of offspring...if stored right you could have a lot in not that many years. When I pull them up I separate them into the bigger ones I know will bloom (usually the original large bulb) and then the small "babies". the babies I all plant (quite crowdedly I might add) into long thin planter boxes the next spring. I had 2 planters last year. This year I have 5, and its looking like maybe 6 (just from the babies of a few bags of glads from last year and a few the year before) . I label the planters according to how big the corms/bulblets are (just so I know about how many years they might be) All the "bloomers/parents" go back in the yard where I'll dig em up before winter..the babies I just let simmer in the planters all spring/summer...the sprouts that come out don't do much more other than soak up sun, water and use all my work to put energy into their bulbs. once they start browning this fall i'll pull them inside and sift through the soil for all the bulbs that did something (survival of the fittest) I think I was told it was a few years till the "little" shoots became big enough to bloom..although I have some i just harvested last fall that are DEFINITELY last year's offspring and those bulbs/shoots are huge! a few just might flower. Since you didn't pull the bulb out there's no real way to know..sometimes you put a store bulb in the ground and when you pull it up it actually seems to have split in half and become two good size bulbs instead of 2 larger ones...and the next year you get 2 flowering shoots. that might be what you have here. and now I feel dumb cause i see you are in MS and you dont need to pull them in the winter! haha. but if you want to add free plants to your garden it's a good way to do it.

• nattydoll
    8 years ago

I live in NY. Had no idea people pulled up glads! Oops.

We planted some bulbs from a box from the general store last summer - June/July. They grew quickly, got 2-3 feet tall, and had several small blooms along them by late August/Sept. The blooms were small and didn't re-bloom.

We didn't know much about this flower, but had also planted asiatic lilies, and learned you don't pull those up, so I left the glads in the ground. They stayed green into the fall, fell over with wind, and only turned brown in the winter. I cut off the brown parts in winter, but didn't mulch.

Will mine grow back? I haven't seen a thing, except weeds like violets. Good thing the violets have cute leaves, this is otherwise a disappointment!

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    8 years ago

On the farm the kitchen garden was my mothers, but she also grew flowers, glads among them. They got dug every year, with some of the old bulbs getting huge. All put out small bulbs down in the dirt around the base of the big bulbs. Mom very carefully saved those when she dug her glads in the fall, and planted them back in a nursery row the next spring. She ended up with quite a few bloomers in the nursery row just about every year. Nearly every one would bloom the second year. That was zone 4. The glads wintered just fine in the basement as did her cannas. The bigger, older glads definitely had by far the more impressive flowers. Zone 4 is quite a bit too far north to trust them to be winter hardy when left in the ground.