Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowhouseonthefarm

Crying over design disaster and it's my fault. Can you help me fix it?

Yellow House On The Farm
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had the chance to build my dream kitchen and I hate it. I am more than disappointed. I was told that I would start to like it over time, two months later it hasn't happened. I'm scared to finish it now because I dont want to make it look even worse. I need your ideas! The cabinets were suppose to be the same color as my trim. They turned out really cream with glaze. I wanted a fresh farmhouse feel and it turned country bumpkin. I have not picked lights,
chairs or a backsplash. I am almost ready to start saving my pennies to start over but I am seeing if anyone has ideas for paint color, backsplash, chairs, or lights that could salvage my dream first. I am not open to painting my window trim only because it then wouldn't match the rest of my trim. It is Benjamin Moore mascarpone trim and niveous walls. Cambrian countertop and applewood island top. Any ideas are appreciated!

Comments (147)

• sanje1961
    8 years ago
    I think the overall feel is less country and more Mediteranian.If you go with a light tan 4or5 inch rough texture tile for the backsplash and install so that the corners are on the bottom it will look beautiful.I suspect the applewood island will change color over time,but you could throw a few red accessories and a few throw rugs to pick up those tones and blend it all.FYI,the cabs are gorgeous but stain very easily.Throw a towel on the cabinet in front of the sink when you were working,and clean up wine and red sauce right away if they splatter.
  • chris81996
    8 years ago

I agree with Jstiticher and Belle about paying a designer. Have you seen some of the incredible work that the designers have done when browsing Houzz photos? That is why they are called "pros". The only room in my house that was a "disaster or disappointment", was the one that I did not decide to hire a designer. I ended up paying way more money to fix my mistakes than if I had hired a pro in the first place. Look for someone with "lots" of experience, a degree in interior architecture (not a certificate) , and hopefully construction background. You want to make sure that what is suggested is actually feasible from a construction stand point. Many people call themselves "decorators"...that is not the same thing. I am speaking strictly from my own experience as a homeowner that has purchased many homes and had them remodeled. Not only did I save lots of money on each project, but when I sold the homes I sold at a premium due to the look of the home. Couldn't have done it without the help of professionals. Greatly appreciate all the free advice they give on this forum.

• toriat
    8 years ago
    The only question is what is the budget? If it's tweaking that's one thing but moving ovens and changing out counters... You are talking serious cash.
  • Ann
    8 years ago

Kia, what are your thoughts after all this discussion?

• toriat
    8 years ago
    I looked at it again... Here is what I would do... For me, the island top totally does not go and I am put off by the color and shape. I would remove it and have it re shaped into a rectangle by a craftsman and have it made into a coffee table. I would install the same type of countertop on the island as is on the counters. You could put a beautiful stone top on the island but with expert guidance so another expensive mistake is not made. Then put a neutral tile backsplash subway or not to enhance the area under the cabinets. I would paint the beadboard the same solid light color as the rest of the cabinets. The bead board will recede into the background. Once you put stools there you won't see it. Do not paint or add accessories or color until you get the basic bones of the kitchen down.
    ccostly
  • momtoollie
    8 years ago

I may be a little late to this post, but I would like to offer a suggestion regarding your butcher block island top. It is beautiful and has sentimental value, but it is a bit busy. My kitchen is very similar to yours. My counter top is black walnut; I wanted it food safe but found that using mineral oil required constant applications. I switched to pure tung oil. It is not the kind you find in the hardware store. It is pure and you have to mix it with citrus solvent. I buy it from The Real Milk Paint Company. The tung oil is available in "dark raw" which would diminish the contrast between the light and dark on your counter top. My first application consisted of 10 coats; each one wiped on with fine steel wool and then hand buffed with a soft cloth. I now only apply once or twice a year. It has a beautiful patina, is food safe and durable. I highly recommend this finish. Your kitchen is beautiful. Good Luck!

Yellow House On The Farm thanked momtoollie
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    I like your kitchen, I think it just needs a bit of pop. Now I'm different, I would paint island a rust red, leave top, it's beaut. Bring more red into kitchen, without getting too carried away. It doesn't have to be red, depending what other colour you have in adjoining room as long as it flows. I just happen to love red, have it in my kitchen, with red glass splash back over my stove, have heaps of compliments
    Yellow House On The Farm thanked Irene Morresey
  • gunnellen
    8 years ago
    Your kitcen is beatutiful. It is only a few things you need to do to bring the design together.

- the island is personal and beautiful. You should take the colour of the wood and use it in other elements in your kichen, backsplash an decorative elements with the same colour tone should be used.

- the worktops are in marbel, take the colour from the marbel ( the darker neuances) and repaint the wall. This should make a bether contrast then the beige you have now, and make your cabinets look even bether.

- chose industrial/ rustic / antik decorative elements to simlefy the ekspression of the room. Farmhouse, not cottage.

This is simle choises that should finish the room and is worth trying before you throw away money on changing already installed elements.
    Remember to use the colour you choose in more than one element to bind the room together.
    And dont overthink the design, just stick with your plan and finish it, AND HAVE FUN, CHOOSE WHAT YOU LIKE, IT IS YOUR OWN KICHEN.
    Yellow House On The Farm thanked gunnellen
  • BirchPoint
    8 years ago

First of all, your kitchen IS pretty amazing! With that said, the main design "problem" that grabbed my attention with the second post of pictures, was the perimeter countertops. I'm not a designer, but I would seek some advice about switching THAT element; it seems too similar to the butcher block. I think something lighter would look better.

• cucina1990
    8 years ago

You have the bones of a gorgeous kitchen. To my eye the use of a dark glazing has made all the relief of the kitchen doors stand out. For my own kitchen I used a cream with a butterscotch glaze to highlight the profile of the cabinets, but not to make a huge contrast. So it is subtle which I think is more country. I agree that the island needs to be redone to get rid of all those busy lines. A deeper colour on the walls might help to pull it all together and I would go for a more eclectic, sophisticated look instead of country. You might even consider some black and white toile wallpaper or curtains to help pull things together.

• Betsy Theis
    8 years ago

once you get your decorating done, your very slight imperfections will not show, bigger handles on the cabinets and painting the wainscoting would be my suggestion.,

• User
    8 years ago
    I see a few suggestions of changing your island top. As it has tremendous heart value to you as it comes from your orchard trees, should you consider taking it out of your kitchen, surely ... surely... you can make a place for it somewhere else. Perhaps a personal desk or table made custom with it, a piece to pass on to children. It is lovely!
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

Your kitchen isn't a disaster; it's beautiful. You have endless tips and ideas here. I'd prioritize what is most important to you and figure out what will integrate each one (for instance, your gorgeous island top) into the rest of the kitchen so it looks like it "belongs." Go with the simple less expensive changes like darker paint on the island base or perhaps some trim repainting first before considering more expensive stuff. By the time you bring in seating, accessories etc you'll find many of the things you're worrying about will not even be noticeable.

• PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    8 years ago

Tom Dixon Flask Pendant Light · More Info

Wave & Picket · More Info

not bad at all, just needs finishing touches...some contemporary accents that are in keeping with traditional look somewhat...a roman shade on the window and a funky take on a subway tile in a dark color will do the trick. Glass pendants over island. Funky Fabric Roman Shade. Fun Counter Stools, and you are golden..you've done great!

Yellow House On The Farm thanked Aggie dba Aggie Designs
  • Alternatives
    8 years ago

Sounds to me like the thing that is most out of sync is the thing you can't change, the island top, the rest is beautiful and too difficult in photography to advise on whites. So it sounds to me like the thing that is most out of sync is the thing you can't change, the island top, so you cover as much of it as possible with a custom cut piece of granite to match counters, or mats, canvas, tables cloths, rugs, bowls, fruit, flowers etc. OR you carefully integrate the colour in accessories; art, picture frames, pottery, copper pots? This colour could carefully be considered for the back splash wood or tiles and the chairs perhaps with some black on them. Otherwise I think you really have enough black accept maybe in artwork or small accesories...without seeing the neighbouring rooms...

• Alternatives
    8 years ago

PS I am personally getting tired of subway tile...maybe over used?

• helixg1
    8 years ago
    I like your kitchen and your countertop. I do think you need to have the tones in countertop repeated 2 more times in the room. I like the idea of a copper sink. I think you will love your kitchen when you get the finishing touches done. Good luck.
  • stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    Sometimes we are too close to the situation. It is easy to be overly critical of oneself. I like what you have done. "Country bumpkin"? I think not. Pretty fancy for that description! Enjoy the kitchen. No project comes out perfect. I don't see the issues.
    Yellow House On The Farm thanked stlouisgaltoo
  • Marie Tulin
    8 years ago

I think you should take a break from looking at the kitchen and just coook and eat in for one month.

At the same time, take a break from reading these posts and let things stew. Or take a vacation.

I'd bet in a month you'll have the clarity and resolve to do what needs to be done to bring the project to a close satisfactorily.

Yellow House On The Farm thanked Marie Tulin
  • Judy Woods
    8 years ago

Kitchen is beautiful, but it's the island top that is really strange...I get that it's a family treasure, but I'd make island top match counter tops, and make a coffee table out of applewood.

• ycity
    8 years ago
    Hi! Love your kitchen!! We have a similar setup, farm sink behind 3 windows, dishwasher on left, walnut butcher island, inset cabinets with beading etc.

I think the photos you took are poor quality, and houzzers are used to professional photos with perfect lighting. Take better photos and perhaps it will look amazing and you'll get different feedback.

Also you have used the more durable and more expensive end grain for your butcher block, and I think people are used to seeing the edge grain. Absolutely don't change it!!
    Yellow House On The Farm thanked ycity
  • ycity
    8 years ago
    I like your white chairs but if you want to experiment with others you can bring in a wood to tie in with butcher island. I love wood saddle chairs.

For lighting, I love these 2, either same color as your hardware or go with bronze/cooper for a fun accent, which will also go with your butcher:

http://houzz.com/photos/114509
    http://houzz.com/photos/98166

Lastly, for backsplash, I am partial to subway tile. For your kitchen, I would do an off white. You can pattern the area above the stove.

Lovely kitchen!! Good luck!
    Yellow House On The Farm thanked ycity
  • ellyn143
    8 years ago

I agree with all the other posts about reducing the busy look of the island beadboard by painting it. I'd also stick with a matte finish cream subway tile with similar color grout to avoid a busy looking backsplash and perhaps paint your kitchen walls a darker shade. Rubbed bronze pendant lights and weathered or burnished COPPER accessories on the counter of the perimeter wall would help to unify the space and pull the red tones from the island across the room. Overall, you've done a great job of creating a beautiful kitchen on your own! You should feel proud!

Yellow House On The Farm thanked ellyn143
  • Danielle Lyn
    8 years ago

I know that people are saying that beadboard on the island is ideal....but what about just using the same pannels doors that are on the cabinets. This is what we did in ours https://www.houzz.com/photos/greenbrae-ca-contemporary-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1710165 I think your choice of pendant lights and choice barstools will help.

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Consider a ceiling fan for the light fixture.

Consider painting BOTH the island base and the window trim a light-to-medium country blue.

Begin a colorful trivet collection or other small kitchen/dining related wall art collection to hang between your countertop and the bottom of your upper cabinets. Don't just nail up the first thing you find. In addition to new items, scour antique stores and second hand shops - such as the Habitat for Humanity Restore Store - and church sponsored thrift stores and perhaps a flea market and/or yard sale or two IF they're where you'd feel comfortable stopping. What you're looking for is the country FEEL you crave. Take your time; you're creating a space that will reflect your personality.

Then enjoy your beautiful kitchen.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

"I was told that I would start to like it over time, two months later it hasn't happened." With that said, IMO if you didn't like it to begin with, you shouldn't have done it... Thats like if you don't love someone and you don't want to marry him, but someone is telling you to marry him and you will learn to love him over time... which never happens.

I do hope that the 122 comments to your post made you feel a little better and gave you more ideas to change things for you to love your kitchen... but somehow I doubt that. So I will be very frank here.

You have two choices

1. Live with the choice you made and make the best of it, because I think the kitchen is beautiful.

2. Tear out what you don't like and replace with something you love. Anything else, no matter how you wiggle it, you will not like it or you will hate it even more.

Best of luck.

Yellow House On The Farm thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • bunnyllg
    8 years ago
    On my monitor, your counters look gray. I think that is what is throwing you off. Why not let that beautiful wood island top be the star and just change the counters to a simpler quartzite. Maybe Taj Mahal? The only thing I can see that is off is the cooler colored counters and the warm island. If everything were warm toned you would be happier.
    Yellow House On The Farm thanked bunnyllg
  • Kathi Ball
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful.....ALL of it! I like the idea of painting the island but black or dark grey would be too strong.

The part that I don't particularly like is the floor color......what is the wood? Is it possible to stain it? We had birch floors and as time passed they took on a rather ugly yellow tone & birch cannot be stained. We tore out the birch and put in 3 inch herringbone pattern in the formal parts of the house and 4 inch plank in the kitchen & casual parts of the house.....the difference is amazing and the color works so much better with our mahogany furniture and dark cherry cabinets

As others have mentioned.....when you get your lighting [check out Pottery Barn & Restoration Hardware and other finishing touches I think you'll like your kitchen. Pottery barn also has great stools for your island.

Have you considered using the same granite as on your counter tops as your back splash?

Your home is stunning,

• PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

You can make it work by tying it all together! Time to pat yourself on the back for all the lovely decisions you have made, take a deep breath and set off again. It is like setting off a beautiful dress with stylish accessories, hairdo, nails etc. Your cabinets are beautiful, your floor is a good foil and does not bother me. The first time I saw your beautiful island counter top, I thought "Copper!" I know that the dishwasher is stainless steel but that does not stop you from having a cream Roman Blind trimmed with copper colour, set high up above the windows. The eye goes straight there and it looks unfinished as it is. If you don't want a blind think metalic copper paint for that wall. Copper pendant lights over the island and simple but stylish barstools that complement, and do not complete.

• fairfax66
    8 years ago

Would it be possible to sand and refinish the butcher block island to lighten the finish to a shade that is a little darker than your wood floor and mute the butcher block variation? As for the cabinets, they are beautiful and I don't understand your concern with them. Don't see why they need to match exactly with your baseboards and frames? I do think stainless steel hardware for the cabinets would look good. As for the backsplash, I would try to match against the counter tops, rather than the Island. Maybe a Calacatta gold marble tile would work? The tile would have brown and gray veining that might be a nice contrast to the busy cambria counter top and a more muted and lighter butcher block island. If you go with marble subway tile, you should work closely with the tile installer to get the color and variation on the black splash that you like.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I agree with Anita Nazar that the counter top on the island is the source of the problem, and I would suggest you that change it to a plain black counter top just on the island. If there is black in the counter tops on the cabinets, I would suggest you add a black border, maybe four inches high, where the rear edge of the counter top meets the wall. This addition of the plain black border and the plain black on the island will tie the color scheme together and make for a coordinated look. I believe you should choose an accent color in a valance for the kitchen windows, dish towels, pot holders, and small accessories like vases or a colorful floral arrangement that contains the accent color displayed in a plain white vase. You have very nice cabinets and materials, and just some minor changes will make the kitchen more vibrant and cheerful.

• PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

The cabinets are beautiful. What a lovely idea to build the butcher's block out of your own apple trees. It looks amazing with the oil on it but you are right, not quite the look you want, so may I suggest rubbing the oil off, letting it sit until it looks dry again, or washing it with dish soap and water then bleaching it? That will tone it down considerably. It would be such a waste and not necessary to scrap everything and start over again. I like the idea of having cabinet doors instead of the bead board. Are you using that area as storage anyway? From the other side? It is deep enough to have doors both sides. When your lights and counterstools are in place it will all start pulling together. Don't lose heart!

• Stacy Lawrence
    8 years ago

You need a designer! Everything is beautiful but before you spend more time stressing and wasting money, just buy an hour or two consult from a professional who can help you achieve the look you want. Maria Killam's website helped me considerably in choosing hard finishes for a bath remodel. I paid $250 for an hour consult with her and I don't regret one dollar. Much cheaper than tearing out and starting over....it's not the cabinets or the color it's pulling it all together which can be difficult for a homeowner....I hope you will love it after all your hard work!

• PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

As this dates back to May, you have probably completed the project by now.

May we see images or have some feedback please?

Yellow House On The Farm thanked TheFurnitureCollection
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

I think she left it as is and enjoying her new beautiful Home... Because from the get go there was nothing wrong with that kitchen or anything else in it.

IMO some people here will make a post that they hate something just to see how many people will love it, so they can reassure themselves that they made the right choice :-)

• Yellow House On The Farm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gn builders, I can believe that is the case with some discussions but I truly wanted help and took into consideration many of the suggestions to finish my kitchen. Although I don't love it, I am no longer in tears about it and have learned to appreciate the functionality of it. It's a great kitchen, just not what I had invisioned especially for the dollars spent. I took the summer off from any house projects and then finished this in Nov. I needed a break to clear my mind. Thanks house community!

• Yellow House On The Farm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

actual colors un photo
    dark photo because of sun shining in

• km kane
    8 years ago

Good for you yellow house! It looks good. Enjoy!

• pdk920
    8 years ago

It's a lovely kitchen. Congratulations, and Enjoy!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

Looks great!!!

• Cindy Breeding
    8 years ago
    I think the show stopper is the island countertop, and I think the suggestion of painting the island black or dark grey was a good suggestion. I think you have a beautiful kitchen in the works here.
  • Stacy Lawrence
    8 years ago

Stunning! I think your vision is coming to life…in the renovation process some things just have to be let go or compromised, but in this case, I think you achieved wonderful results creating a beautiful vision. Merry Christmas and thanks for the update!

Yellow House On The Farm thanked Stacy Lawrence
  • alicejean
    8 years ago
    IMO, this is gorgeous! I am not a fan of wood countertops, but yours is beautiful, and the sentimental value is priceless. You may be disappointed because it is different from your vision. I hope you move forward in the knowledge that it is lovely.
    Yellow House On The Farm thanked alicejean
  • funny face
    8 years ago

Beautiful!

• PRO
    GannonCo
    8 years ago

I think in general whites are a problem for the majority of people. Many pick colors base on what a name implies the color to be. Whites are tricky as they reflect their surrounding colors. They also can look perfect until you place them next to another white color.

The problem here is they most likely used a clear coat on top of the color that altered the color. Even water based finishes slightly change a color. Also sheen will change a color as again it is reflecting more of surrounding colors.

Look at your doors they are all different shades based on surroundings, light and shade. Yet, I would wager they were all sprayed at the same time out of the same pot.

If you changed the color of your trim the cabinets would look totally different and you would never tell it was a different shade then the other rooms. The idea to replace $15k worth of cabinetry vs paint kitchen trim a different color is a bit crazy. Choose a room break off point and paint the trim and you will never see the difference room to room.

Good luck and you have a beautiful kitchen but in the end you have to be happy. If $10 worth of trim paint and an ours worth of work work achieve that I say go for it, it is only paint.

Yellow House On The Farm thanked GannonCo
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

Looks wonderful! Enjoy! Sometimes it is a bit of a challenge to take a new look on board, and one can have second thoughts. As so many people have said, there really was nothing wrong with your kitchen. Gorgeous house, great quality fittings in the kitchen. I am so happy for you that it all worked out. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Yellow House On The Farm thanked TheFurnitureCollection
  • Lisa R
    8 years ago
    Have you considered trying a different type of bulb in your lighting fixtures? I would try using a daylight version. It's a fairly inexpensive way to look at the space from a different perspective.
  • smdrovetto
    8 years ago

I see and understand EXACTLY what you're saying about the cabinets. The darker cream color makes a big difference between "farmhouse" and "country". You want a more sophisticated look, as opposed to "country".

My mom lives in a retirement apartment, and they used that generic antique white on the walls that almost has a brownish undertone, and nothing looks good on it.

It may be worth it if you could have all the doors and drawers taken off and just painted white by someone in a shop. Then the trim wouldn't be that hard, and could maybe be sprayed easily by a pro.

Years and YEARS ago, I painted our kitchen myself (and I have not,and never will paint another kitchen again) and it ended up looking like the Greyhound bus station, AND I blew up the stove by standing on one side with no burners with one foot, and one on the counter. Wires must have touched underneath, and blue flames started shooting out of the burners! No damage.

The kitchen is very nice, it is very pretty, but I know how you feel. If you want to use any "clear" colors, like red, or blue, it will have a definite country look against the darker cream cabinets, and not the fresh look you want.

I don't think you will be happy until you get them redone, and could waste a lot of money trying to compensate or fix it by changing everything around them, and then still will not be happy with the result.

If you find someone to do it in their shop, have them do one cabinet face, or a sample face and live with it, moving it around the room for a few days. Lighting really DOES make a huge difference.

I bought a light grey file cabinet for an office that was painted very light teal, and because the metal finish on the cabinet was so reflective, everybody was sure it matched the walls.

Don't be upset. The style of everything is great! This is something that can be fixed.

Yellow House On The Farm thanked smdrovetto
  • PRO
    Reveal
    8 years ago
    This is no disaster. It's not working visually because the colors in this space are: white, cream, tan, light wood, -beautiful- applewood, silver/gray; there are all different textures: flat, glossy, steel, semi gloss, etc; there are a few different materials as well. The kitchen is missing a focal point. Scrapping the whole thing won't fix the problem.

The cabinets are beautiful, island top is beautiful. I can't see much from the photo on the other counter tops. It seems like they might be competing with the island counter top. So the eye can't decide on which to focus. They either need to be a similar color and finish as the island counter or they need to be a similar color and finish as the cabinets. I would go with something similar to the cabinets for the COUNTER TOPS so that the island countertop is the focal point of the entire kitchen. Also, the covering on the front of the island is competing with the top. Replace that with something more seamless, same color and finish, just not as busy. Get STOOLS: that stop below the island top, and have forgettable legs. (Nothing intricate or bulky) The stools should probably be a semi gloss finish and blend with the cabinets. Stay away from stainless. LIGHT FIXTURES: go with 1 big one or 3 small-medium sized ones. Don't introduce any new colors, or materials, or finishes. Something like a candelabra will be pretty but not 'too much' visually. BACK SPLASH: again, no new materials, finishes or colors. It should complement what you already have. Consider painting the TRIM the exact color and finish as the cabinets. I'd love to see the finished product!
    Yellow House On The Farm thanked Reveal
  • smdrovetto
    8 years ago

Okay, Yellowhouse,

I read your original dilemma comments again, and the choice of "Yellowhouse" possibly as your "handle", indicate a strong disappointment with the cabinet color because the cream color is too dark, too yellow, brownish, and does not look good against the white trim.

You said you wanted a "fresh" farmhouse look, and you got "country bumpkin"

As I said, I understand, I think, what you are disappointed with, and it's the cabinet color.

I used to HATE the real cutesy country look, with all the dolls, tiny floral prints, and beige to dark beige and light blue. Now,do not confuse the brown and blue that has been popular in very modern design. That is a totally different look.

You are disappointed that your kitchen does not have the sophisticated farmhouse look.

You cannot use "clear" colors or bright colors for accents, and get the "fresh" look I think you wanted, against cream cabinets with the antiquing. What color IS the accent paint on the cabinets? Does it have a brown tone?

If it does, that is what you are unhappy with.

As a commenter said, whites are VERY tricky. I don't think you would be as unhappy if the cabinets didn't exactly match the trim, if they did not have the yellow or brown undertone, that makes such a difference between farmhouse and country bumpkin,

I had ALL the walls in a previous home repainted from an antique white, to a brighter, truer white, with very little brown or yellow tone, and it was SUCH a huge difference. I also had a bit shiner finish on the hardwoods, and the house had a gorgeous "gallery" look, that was much more sophisticated.

I could have fooled around with trying to "retrofit" with accessories, etc etc etc, but it would not have changed the fact that the paint color was not right.

When you try to put a "bandaid" on it, it will often end up costing you more money, tile, etc, and you STILL have the original problem, only it is worse, because the more you try to " band aid" it, the more noticeable it becomes that you are trying to compensate for the wrong color on the main part of the "canvas" Instead of getting "closer" you end up getting farther and farther apart, or a half-baked look in a kitchen you spent a lot of time, money, and heart to be your dream kitchen.

Again, in the home I mentioned, the living room was white. If you asked anybody who came to my house, what color the walls were, most would have just said, white, and have very little memory, or comment on the shade. When I was done with the repainting, all my friends were amazed at how much difference the brighter white made. When it is right, people notice.

I have modern art, and it looked fantastic against a truer white, for example. SO many people commented on pieces I had in the same spot, thinking they were new, because the background color made so much difference.

I would say take a while to think about what you want to do. It's more important than getting things "done".

As I said, this is not the end of the world. It can be fixed.