Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherri1058

Miele lack of warranty

sherri1058
8 years ago

I was all set to purchase the Miele all fridge and all freezer columns (I'm in Canada), and decided to take a look at the warranty to determine if I should purchase the extended one. Could not believe that their warranty is 1 year, with no additional warranty on the compressor, etc. I am speechless.

Comments (11)

• homepro01
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ten year warranty in Canada. This promotion is until June 2015. The 1 year warranty is standard here in the US. There is an option to go to 2years if you have it installed by Miele. The US site does have an extension for the Refrigeration units to 5years and 10years for certain components. Did you call Miele Canada to see if they have the same thing?

sherri1058 thanked homepro01
  • eshmh
    8 years ago

No need to call. The promotion was written right on every fridge/freezer's web page. I just got a dishwasher under this promotion and same thing on the oven last year.

• sherri1058
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I know about the extended warranty that you have to purchase in addition to the product. Their promo ending next week is 10 years or 10% off and I was looking at the standard warranty to decide which way I wanted to go.

When I couldn't find the extension for the compressor, etc. (except on the US website) I called and confirmed that it is indeed, only 1 year on everything. Thermador and Subzero both have 2 year full, 5 years P&L for the sealed unit (compressor, etc) and 12 years parts for the sealed unit. I was surprised that Miele's standard warranty is so poor in comparison.

• eshmh
    8 years ago

Well, unless subzero gives you 10% off, you are still ahead of game by choosing free 10 year warranty.

• gigelus2k13
    8 years ago

I think that you misunderstood OP's point: Miele warrants their appliance for exactly *one* year, without a longer one for key components (such as the compressor). The warranty length tends to indicate how long does the manufacturer expects that the appliance will operate, on average, failure-free. Similar to the concept of MTBF.

Yes, Miele also offers an extended warranty, but that one is more volatile in terms of whether it is offered at all, how much it costs and what's covered.

An implicit warranty of 1 year is very flimsy in the case of a high end, high dollar appliance.

sherri1058 thanked gigelus2k13
  • sherri1058
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, gigelus2k13, that is exactly my point.

• eshmh
    8 years ago

I totally understood what Sherri meant. My LG has this kind of warranty structure although only parts are covered at the extended part. One can look at this way: Miele offers products with 10 year whole system warranty, and also 1 year warranty at a discounted price if one chooses so. In between, there is 5 year option. Feel better now? :-)

MTBF is a relevant technical factor. However, warranty is insurance at cost, either integrated with price or a separate product. How it is offered has more to do with Miele's strategy than anything else. For example, in US, some Miele DW has 5 year warranty by default, but 10 year warranty is not offered. It is same machine in Canada.

If Miele offered longer warranty on particular key components, fewer people would have bought the extended warranty. In this case, Sherri might have opted 10% with little struggle, and this is exactly what Miele wants to avoid.

Miele targets audience many not too sensitive to cost. If they want peace of mind, just go ahead with Miele Advantage Plus price, which actually offers a little bit more than just 10 year warranty. These people would compare Miele Advantage Plus price with what other peer brands offers. Maybe it is a bit more than others or maybe not, but the whole system is warranted with part and labour covered. For usual people who wants Miele, there are promotions like Perfect 10 (likely twice a year). You can have 10 year peace of mind for free or, if one really trusts Miele quality, he/she can save extra mile of money. This strategy is consistent across pretty much whole Miele products in Canada. It seems the model works for Miele. The bottom line is Miele wants to make money every way it can and wants to attract as many as users every way it can. It has little to do filmsy of anything. As described at Miele's website, the only difference of default one warranty and the extended warranty is the length of period it covers.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

For such a quality brand, seems like a confusing mess of special promotions.

I believe a responsible company would want their customers to have more than a 1 year warranty on a critical component - which in this case is the compressor / evaporator. This component is so critical and expensive to replace, a failure - early in the life of the appliance - repair will probably exceed the value of the refrigerator. It is for this reason manufacturers 'built in' to the retail price, a factory warranty on the compressor / evaporator. This way, the customer is protected, and the manufacturer maintains a good reputation.

• eshmh
    8 years ago

This is just a Miele Canada thing, i.e. just business. In USA, it is the same as others.

Sealed Refrigeration Systems
    An additional Limited Warranty for the Sealed Refrigeration System, which includes all original compressors, condensers, evaporators, driers, the original refrigerant and the original connecting tubing, is extended as follows:

Five (5) Year Limited Warranty - If a claim regarding a defect in material or workmanship relating to the Sealed Refrigeration Systems used in Miele Refrigerators, Wine Coolers, and Freezers is received by Miele within five (5) years from the date of purchase, then any warranted failures of the Sealed Refrigeration System shall be repaired at no cost to the Miele Customer. This includes both parts and labor.

Ten (10) Year Limited Warranty - If a claim of such a defect is received at any time during the period starting on the first day of the sixth (6th) year and ending on the last day of the tenth (10th) year after the date of purchase, this Limited Warranty shall cover the replacement of all parts of the Sealed Refrigeration System that are found to be defective, but shall not cover labor.

• tracy25
    8 years ago

My experience with Miele is they don't stand behind their products even when the warranty dictates the need. Following my experience with Miele, the reputation and behavior of the manufacturer as it relates to product performance post purchase is a key element to my decision making. I will spend more to know that I am working with an honorable company. I've also owned two sub-zeros (one was over 30 years old when we moved to a new home, the other is now 6 years old) and neither have ever had a problem.