Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mathteachr

Wall cabinets intersecting window trim

mathteachr
8 years ago

We are planning on installing ikea cabinets in our kitchen remodel. The new Sektion line has 15" deep wall cabinets. The cabinet boxes with suspension rail are 14 3/4", and will have custom 3/4" thick doors for a total of 15 1/2". The problem is that the old cabinets are not as deep, and the window was designed with that standard in mind. See the picture below:

My first thought is to set a filler strip at 14", and then let the run of cabinets overhang the window trim. Would that look awkward? On the other side of the window it won't be a problem as we plan 12" deep floating shelves.

I suppose I could hack all the cabinets to 13 1/2" deep or so, but that sounds like a terrible pain in the butt with other carpentry consequences - there are 7 wall cabinets in a row on this wall.

Does anyone have other ideas to address the dilemma and make it look nice? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Excellent idea Karenseb! That would be a great place for cookbooks.

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

I'd do a filler if you need the closed storage. A 2" piece against the wall to push the cab out so it doesn't interfere with the window casing would be fine I think.

• annkh_nd
    8 years ago

You could remove the drywall behind the cabinet, to gain 3/4" - but that's not quite enough. Easier than hacking the cabinet, though.

I don't think a filler would look terrible.

• mathteachr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your responses so far!

Interesting idea Karen. I have exactly two cookbooks (Joy of Cooking and Alton Brown), but open shelving for either wine racks or dry goods I store in half gallon mason jars might work. I have to explore what semihandmade offers there.

So at least some think that it wouldn't look too odd with a filler strip there, which is good to know. I was kinda digging the idea of a smooth wall of flush bamboo doors :-).

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Since you don't have enough cookbooks to fill the shelves you could also store cutting boards (or get more cookbooks ;). If you like the smooth, uncluttered look, I think the filler will be fine.

• User
    8 years ago

Deliberately vary the depth and height of the cabinets on that run to make a shallower cabinet work visually. All frameless cabinets need fillers next to walls, but being shallower than the cabinet box will give it an odd shadow line. Maybe that's a place to lose the window trim and tile the whole thing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I've ripped the sides of IKEA cabinets to make them shallower. It's not big deal. Push 'em through a table saw or even a circular saw with a fence. Redrill for the cams and done.

• hoffmalr_gw
    8 years ago

Here's a photo from our walk-through with the previous owner's stuff 5 years ago, though you can't quite see the notched part where the cabinets are set into the window trim. It's not the same situation since our cabinets are on the window wall, but I think the filler strip option would work nicely in your situation. I wish ours had some separation rather than notched-out trim - I think it might have happened when they replaced the windows in the 1990s. Since the cabinets were built on-site, I have a hard time believing this is how the window was originally.

I'm glad you brought this up - I never even
    notice the weird trim with it hidden by curtains. I hadn't given it a lot of thought while working on my
    IKEA design, so I'll have to look at it again to make sure I eliminate
    it.

• PRO
    Taylor's Cabinets & Interiors
    8 years ago

Pull the trim, install cabinet and filler, then fit trim around the filler.

• stephanj
    8 years ago

My ikea KD did one of those open 9" cabs at the end (like in Jillian's kitchen) of the cabinet run - it has optional wine rack inserts or you can just leave it shelves for tall skinny storage. Or lose a few inches of cabinet on the side and fill it out with a plinth. I will be putting cookbooks and maybe an antique decanter in mine.

• mathteachr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks you all for all the ideas. After all the inspiration, I'm thinking we'll put in a wine rack like this:

but set back a bit for the window trim (these are the same doors we're doing) or just a set back filler, depending on how it prices out. I really want to keep the flush look for the rest, and cutting back 160" of cabinetry sounds like a job I don't really want, plus there's lost storage depth. I also think I'd rather avoid hacking up the window trim.