Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atheen_

How do I recognize spider mites webs from good ol' spiders?

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Ok, so my two meyer lemons are on the deck now, and it seems to agree with them. I've read that regular spiders are good bugs to have on your tree. I know that spider mites are not. How do I tell the difference between the two webs? I don't want to chase away good spiders, but I really don't want spider mites back on my meyer lemons, either.

Comments (24)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    8 years ago

Use mag. glass and look for reddish very small bugs that move when you disturb them with your finger nai.. You will also see a lot of fine white stippling in the leaves if you have a bad infestation. I wouldn't bother looking for webbing.

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. I've had spider mites once earlier this year when my trees were still indoor, so I know what the bugs look like, sort of, although the ones I had were not red. Webbing is really what I was looking at today, I found a few webs on my trees this morning, and I was wondering if they were from regular spiders or spider mites.

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    If you have a magnifying glass, you will see milions of almost microscopic bugs cawling around in the web..
    I personally would leave all the spiders of the world on my plants except for spider MITES
    Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Alright, I guess I need to get myself a magnifying glass this week then :)

Thank you guys!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    8 years ago

I guess I either have better eye sight than ya'll or our oklahoma spider mites are enormous. No need for magnification.

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

3 hours ago

Get out your magnifying glass!"

Hey Mike, Howe are ya? Quite frankly I didn't need the magnifying glass last time either, but Dave got all bossy on me and he scared me, lol :)

Atheen

• bmelz
    8 years ago

I'm starting to think that much of the garden world has poor eyesight, that or Ontario spider mites are huge. I've read on many different forums how a magnifying glass is needed to see spider mites.

In have no problems seeing them at all on my plants. Maybe these are just big because ive got a full on infestation at this point.

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked bmelz
  • dbarron
    8 years ago

There's a bug called a red velvet mite that's a bit bigger..and apparently harmless, part of the soil breakdown group...that *may* be what you're seeing.

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked dbarron
    8 years ago

All I'm saying is, if you have webbing from spider mites, you will SEE spider mites on the plants. Yes, not always reddish, sometimes brown or black.

Since you've had them before you should know what they look like. But a magnifying glass will certainly help distinguish them from regular spiders (which tend to be solitary).

Generally mite webbing is very fine and usually concentrated around the soft growing tips and newest growth of the plants, depending on the plant. Sometimes webbing can be found on the undersides of leaves near the midrib (again depending on the plant).

But again, mite infestation is usually apparent first from a fine white stippling on the leaves.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Dave. I didn't mean anything by it, btw, just pulling your leg :) What you just said actually really helps. I just don't want to freak out each time I see a spider web on my trees, ya know? Specially since I don't want to chase the good ones away :)

8 years ago

I just had a major S.M. infestation on one plant. The leaves turned stipply white almost overnight! They can really explode during warm dry weather.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, crapola that really sucks. What do you do in a case like that? vigorous hosing down and neem oil?

8 years ago

Yes, spraying with water, and then I'm trying an insecticidal soap as well.

We'll see.

Original Author
    8 years ago

I've always wondered about that actually. Some people swear by neem oil, others prefer the insecticidal soaps. I tend to err on the soap side if I had to chose, but that's mainly because I'm not thrilled at the idea of oil stains on my Azek deck. What's your take on soap vs neem oil?

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    I am sure there are some you can see with the naked eye, but there are all kinds of different types, and if you are dealing with the ones I had in the past, almost pure white spot which you CAN NOT see with the naked eye, until they have spun their webs, destroyed the foliage, and weakened your trees, you will need a magnifying glass) or hire an Eagle..lol
  • BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago

Bmelz,

Dbarron is right, those bigger red dots on the edge of your pot are Red Velvet Mites. You can also identify them because they run around really fast and you'll find them on other places than the plant foliage, like the pot, the ground, etc. The don't hurt plants. You may also have spider mites, but they will be on the leaves, not the pot itself, in general.

Spider mites on the other hand, while can sometimes be seen with the naked eye, will look more like slowly moving dust specks, and are various colors depending on what kind of spider mites. They also will almost never be seen anywhere else but on the plant it self. I think they tend to spread from plant to plant by floating on the breeze helped by a web strand used as a parachute. The don't walk around much off a plant.

The magnifying glass is to confirm that they actually are spider mites and not something else.

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

I got stung by a spider mite and it packed a wallop. I got a picture of it as it crawled away

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Holy crap on a cracker, Steve, that is NOT what I thought they looked like up close! How big is that thing?

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago

Steve, I think that's what they call a Velvet Ant, it's a wingless wasp. Spider Mites don't have stingers, and even if they did they're way too small to penetrate human skin. They have mouth parts similar to regular spiders but use them to rasp the surface of the plant and then they suck up the juices. The tiny stipple spots are where they've scratched and sucked up the plant juice.

A close up of the Two Spotted Spider Mite. This is a common one, but they're many kinds.

And how they look to the naked eye, up close. You can see the fine webbing with mites crawling on it. They're the tiny dots. It does look fairly different than regular spider webs.

And here you can see the stipple spotted damage on a leaf;

This is a pretty bad case on a lemon tree. The webbing, the tiny mites and the stippling can all be seen here.

If you click on the pics, most will show it as a larger picture.

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barb, that is absolutely perfect, thank you so much! those pictures are amazing :)

While we are on the subject of mites, can you guys tell me if you prefer soap or neem oil to treat them and why? I'm trying to be proactive in what I have in my citrus arsenal :)

Thank you :)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Atheen

------------------- "I'm trying to be proactive in what I have in my citrus arsenal"-------------------

That is the most important action in any gardening. By the time you see the problem, Go out and buy the products and get home, on you off time, it is to late.

Steve

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    soaps never wrked for me unless I mixed Neem oil with a few drops of liquid soap...The key is as with any products, to be consistent until you break their egg and birth cycle..Usually once every 3 to 4 days of spray for at least 3 weeks..Those are good pics..
  • pip313
    8 years ago

Neem and soap are close to useless for me indoor where it only takes one to reinfest. So I use chemicals. I like forbid.

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked pip313