Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swells65

Picture is to small above sofa in family room.

Shelley Wells
8 years ago
I was thinking some white shelves. My husband really likes the brown walls with the new brown furniture. If I can figure out how to brighten the room with wall decorations I think it might work. Any suggestions would help. Here are some pictures of all the walls.

Comments (160)

• User
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree with indomom, the current sconces are to small.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I just added a new picture in my profile page of my bookshelves after redoing them. Any suggestions would be great.
  • Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Family room idea 59 x 39 · More Info

What do you think of this picture?

• Ann
    8 years ago

I'm still liking Margo's original. The browns in it are just the best! I think the size might work.

Swell, what is the size of your current too small art? I just want to make sure Margo's original is significantly bigger, but I think it is.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Mine was 36" wide.
  • Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Groveraxel I like both of those but they are not big enough.
  • Ann
    8 years ago

I still like Margo's original best. If you like it too, Swell, it might be worth taping the dimensions of it on your wall to see how you feel about it. I wouldn't order it without doing that first, so if you find yourself leaning toward it, tape would be worth doing.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Swell, I looked in your ideabook at your current shelves and they are looking much better. If you want us to help tweak further, I'd be happy to post your current shelf pic so it's on this thread.

Also, saw this art in your ideabook and I like it a lot. Doesn't have the browns like Margo's choice, but I love this one!

Cooper Classics Blue Sky 60"x40" Rectangular Canvas Art · More Info

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ann, I would love if you would post my shelves. I would love suggestions. I was thinking once I picked my picture out I would change some of the stuff I have on the shelves with some color.
    I'm not sure I like that one as much anymore but will re look at it. At this time I really like Margo's first picture and I really like the colors in the one I found at Pier 1. I'm thinking about going to Pier 1 this weekend and putting it on my wall and see if I like it. If I don't it would be very easy to return.
  • Ann
    8 years ago

Here are the current shelves.

Current bookshelves · More Info

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It may not looked like I removed much off of them because they are so deep but I removed over 1/2 of the books and much more. The large middle shelf to the left of the TV is my little memory shelf of my dad. I would love any suggestions that you have for me. Thanks!!!!
  • Ann
    8 years ago

We might need closer up pics, but we'll be happy to help tweak these shelves more. They are looking much better than before!

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The bottom shelf to the right of the TV has the flower in front of it to try and hide cords that are coming up from the basement. I also have surround sound speakers on the 2nd outside shelf.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

You don't have to get a single painting. You can get a pair.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I keep looking at this picture and just love the colors. I think I'm just going to go get it and see how it looks. It looks lot like the same colors as the picture that Margo picked out.

• Ann
    8 years ago

If it can be returned easily, it can't hurt to try and see how you feel about it in your room.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We went to pier 1 and both my husband and I liked this canvas better. It has so many great colors. I sure hope it looks as good on my wall as it did it the store.

• jlo267
    8 years ago
    Move the painting to the left, over the 'left seat' of the couch. Add two paintings, one above the other over the 'right seat' of the couch, perhaps two inches apart. The two new paintings ought to be equal in size to eachother.
    The top edge of the painting on the top, ought to be at the same height as the top edge of the original painting to the left.
    The bottom edge of the bottom painting must be at the same height as the bottom edge of the painting on the left.
    I would also suggest that these two paintings ought to have a similar theme as the original painting. It's more interesting to group a large space of art work on a wall, than one small painting.
  • Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It needs to be raised higher and I think some yellow or bright green pillows would look nice. I still need to move sconces and get or paint my existing floor lamp to put on other side of sofa. What do you think?

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Jlo267 I already returned the other picture.
  • Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are some other pictures. What do you think?

Not sure about abstract and wondering if this is bright enough.

I bought this one today to see what it would look like.

What do you guys think with brown wall and brown furniture except one chair that's bluish.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Well, I think the size of the one you bought is really nice and I do like it. Art is a very personal choice, but I do like this one a little better.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ann the one in the store has a lot more green then what the picture shows. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow because I think the one on my wall now has way to much blue in it.
  • Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The nice thing about the picture with the snow is the brown that is in it. My favorites are the 1st and last picture.
  • User
    8 years ago

Trees trump snow;)

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What do you think of this picture? I think this is my favorite. I already have a good feeling about it. It looks like I should be able to put green or blue/turquoise throw pillows with it. It's hung in existing nails. How far up from back of sofa should the picture be.

• joyallen1
    8 years ago
    Maybe paint entertainment centre and kitchen cabinets an off white or cream. Would modernize the space so much. Then add some nice big art . Declutter kitchen along with living room space. Love the brown colour on walls but so dark compared to kitchen. Marry spaces together with color tones.
  • Ann
    8 years ago

I like it Swell and I think the current height is just about perfect.

• indomom
    8 years ago

I think that last one does a lot to brighten the space up and it sounds like you really prefer the colors in it. I think 4 or 5 inches above sofa back. Correct me if I'm wrong, Ann!

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm think more of a teal or turquoise pillows for it since the green already pops out more when you look at it. What do you think? Am I thinking the correct way on this?

I also already feel more relaxed with this picture. I think the other one the white and the blue just stood out so much and it seemed so busy.
  • Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I lowered it to 7-8 inches and it seems ok. The sofa reclines so not sure I want to take it down much more and have hands touching it.
  • Ann
    8 years ago

Indomom, I was thinking 6" is the guideline, but I didn't take the time to look it up. It looks to be right in the range we're thinking.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Swell, is the pic you took at 7-8"? I thought it looked to be a really good height.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    No it was 11-12. I lowered it to 7-8 when I put the correct nails in to hold it.
  • Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I took the sconces down and was wondering about putting them on the small wall to the right of the fireplace? I do like to use them so would love to have them in this room.
  • Ann
    8 years ago

Let's see a new pic:))))))

• Ann
    8 years ago

We'll need a good pic of that small wall so we can discuss the sconces there. Don't hang them yet, please. You want to be careful to not introduce clutter as you add nice new things. So, let's ponder/discuss it:)

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Ann
    8 years ago

I'm off for a bit but I'll check back in later. Nice job with the art choice, Swell!

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wondering about this pillow on the sofa.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here is the wall I was thinking about. I'm taking these picture frames out of this room. I have other place I want to put them.

Here is another empty wall.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have another post out here about what color to paint my living/dining room. Would love all of your input.

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Have you considered a set of three or four narrow pictures that form one picture so you could space them to cover the wall from the left side of your sofa to the right side of it?

• Ann
    8 years ago

I think I'd leave the sconces down for now. If the sconces go back up, I think it will be best if they flank something like art. But, because the sconces are fairly small, the art they flank shouldn't be too big. Also, walls without anything are very nice too, so don't worry about empty walls. Empty walls go a long way toward decluttering. Since you plan on relocating that group of 4 pics, I might suggest putting more space between them when you rehang them.

• Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Suezbell I'm glad to say I think I have found the painting that makes me happy. I'm still going to try it out on my wall for a few days to make sure I still like it before I buy pillows to go with it. I can always take it back if I change my mind. Thanks!
  • Shelley Wells
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm planning on getting a new floor lamp to put on the right side of the sofa when the budget allows. Someone suggested a tripod style. What color would you suggest?
  • Ann
    8 years ago

Swell, when you have a few favorite floor lamps chosen, please post pics so we can vote:)

• indomom
    8 years ago

Something like this might tie in with your other wood in the room, but it might mean you'd switch the table and lamp to go by the bookcases and have the floor lamp on the other side.

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/dimond-natural-wood-tripod-floor-lamp__7r249.html

• Taxi Cabaret
    8 years ago
    Pillows aren't easy for a sofa like this but a nice knit throw in a green shade draped over one arm is easy to maintain. Probably should use the polka dot chair in another room, and your shelves look great. Congratulations.