Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catlady4114

Mis-measurement prevents opening of kitchen drawer and door

catlady4114
8 years ago

The company I purchased kitchen cabinets from measured incorrectly. When the peninsula was installed, a worker removed trim from the doorway and installed cabinets about 1/2" in the doorway. I requested that they replace a base and wall cabinet so that the peninsula didn't extend past the door trim. When the smaller cabinets were installed, they didn't re-attach the trim. When the counter was installed, I realized a drawer and door on the peninsula could not open with the trim in place. I considered trimming the drawer but I still wouldn't be able to use the pull out shelves in the base cabinet if the door trim is re-installed. Leaving the trim off looks bad. Putting it on limits access in the cabinet. Do you have any creative suggestions on how to resolve the problem?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

can you post a picture?

• catlady4114
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• catlady4114
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Isn't it too late for the filler now that the counter is installed?

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

They need to fix it, that's why they are the pro's. You are paying for their expertise and skill, both in measuring & installation.

Guessing will require removal & reinstallation of counter, perhaps new countertop if not enough overhang - as Joseph identified.

catlady4114 thanked MDLN
  • jdez
    8 years ago

You could just put up drywall corner bead (I think that's what it's called) on that wall and skip the trim. You know, the metal strip on the corner that gets the mud spread over it and then sanded and smoothed out. Then paint. That is, if they won't make it right and you have no other options.

catlady4114 thanked jdez
  • catlady4114
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I paid too much for the remodel to have a jacked up fix for their error. I think I have just enough overhang to install the filler. Hopefully the installer will fix this without a fuss.

• scrappy25
    8 years ago

That looks like a full overlay door? Do the drawer insides clear the trim? If so, if you want a smaller fix, they can change the pullouts to drawers and order less wide drawer fronts that are slightly mounted to the left to clear the trim on the right, and add a small filler on the right. You will only need about an inch to clear the door trim. If you want to keep pullouts you will lost more horizontal space than with changing to drawers. You may even be able to remount the top drawer front towards the left (with filler for the gap) and clear the trim but there is no such solution for the doors on the bottom unless they are changed to drawers.

catlady4114 thanked scrappy25
  • dcward89
    8 years ago

I hope you get it fixed but I wanted to say your counter is AWESOME!!

catlady4114 thanked dcward89
  • catlady4114
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks dcward89. The counter is my favorite part of the kitchen. Also the most expensive. I want to make sure it isn't damaged when the cabinet is fixed. I'll post photos when the appliance garage and door trim are done.

• DIY2Much2Do
    8 years ago

I agree with jdez... I would do a flush drywall molding and not have to change the cabinetry and counter. There are many ways to finish the drywall flush, that could look intentional and finished. You can get various profiles of corner beads like bevel, bullnose, or stepped, that would finish the opening with no projection. Check out products from Trim-Tex, Gordon and Fry Reglet. (I have no affiliation to the linked companies.)

catlady4114 thanked DIY2Much2Do
  • catlady4114
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll check it out. The problem with changing the trim is that I have 4 doorways and 2 windows in the kitchen. The wide trim camouflages the fact that 3 doorways in close proximity are different heights. I'd have to change at least 3 but I'd rather change all kitchen trim to match. Someone from the cabinet company will look at it next week. I'll see what they're willing to do based on these options.