Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmac51

Need ideas for a new garden!

mmac51
8 years ago
We have seeded a lawn, extended the patio with decking and planted natural hedging. Also some trees. What can we do to add interest??

Comments (23)

• jacksplash
    8 years ago

Great size garden...Can you say what you would like to use it for. Example mostly lawn for kids to play on ? Place for vegetable patch?..I think if you can give us an outline idea it will be easier to help.

mmac51 thanked jacksplash
  • mmac51
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We are retired but have grandchildren too. You can't see it on the photo but we already have a double swing set and big slide behind the garage for them. at the moment it looks like a field!

• mmac51
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not big on vegetable garden! X

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    8 years ago

to add some visual interest and low maintenance, you can dot the garden with some shrubs and trees. These will add perspective, be low maintenance and be a great place for grandkids to play hide and seek

you can also easily zone areas by planting meadow seeds and not mowing the lawn in parts during the summer - another easy way to create visual interest, no maintenance except for the fun patterns and paths you mow in the lawn, good for the environment and butterflies

mmac51 thanked ASVInteriors
  • jacksplash
    8 years ago

I think linseys ideas are great...If you want a low maintenance garden I would stick to trees and shrubs, ones which have colour and not just all green.. I'm not sure if your considering flower beds but if so I would cover them with cocoa shell mulch,as a lot of weeding can be a real pain imo.

Good luck and I'd love to see the finished project

mmac51 thanked jacksplash
  • PRO
    Patricia Tyrrell Living Landscapes
    8 years ago

Your paving and decking is of a lovely quality and represents a significant investment. It would also be worth considering investing in some design advice. For a garden this size you need to get some professional advice from a qualified garden designer; someone who can listen to what you want and incorporate your brief into a design. It will save you money in the long term.

• PRO
    Kebur Garden Materials
    8 years ago

As well as shrubs and plants you could add an arbour or pergola, we stock a number of creative pergolas that can really add character to an area or make a great seating area.

mmac51 thanked Kebur Garden Materials
  • PRO
    Hillman Gardens
    8 years ago
    I agree with Patricia on this one!
    mmac51 thanked Hillman Gardens
  • PRO
    Mark Lane Designs
    8 years ago

I totally agree with Patricia. Take the time to think about what you want from the garden and how it can best be used throughout the year. By discussing your ideas, no matter how small, with a professional garden designer they can shape and firm your ideas into an organised, meaningful plan that works for your space, your needs and aspirations. Everything from planning through to the implementation

of a project can then be carefully managed to ensure that all aspects of your garden are perfect for you.

You set the aspirations, the budget, as well as the features to incorporate, and the designer will deliver you a professional, bespoke design service and, if required, a carefully managed project, set within an agreed timescale and to cost.

Most professional garden designers, like myself, offer a wide range of services – everything from an hour’s consultancy to full design and implementation.

For further information (taken from my website), which I hope you find useful:-

The Garden Design Process:

1. An Initial Site Visit to discuss and exchange ideas and for the designer to take thorough and careful measurements. The conditions and possibilities of the proposed site are assessed.

2. Once the designer fully understands your requirements they present you with a Design Brief and then two Outline Designs / Concept Plans, including an Inspiration sheet or mood board. This is an essential stage as it reflects the style and shape of the proposed garden, hard landscaping (decking, paving, raised beds, water features) and planting areas. It represents a general, proposed outline design. This is also the time for you to finalise the budget for the design.

1. You will then be provided with visualisations, either computer generated or hand-drawn, following the agreed upon Outline Design / Concept Plan. CAD visuals provide you with 3D renderings to scale, while hand-drawn visuals may be easier to understand.

4. Once every element of the garden has been carefully considered, a Final Outline Design / Master Plan is presented, showing detailed, scaled elements required to construct the design - normally a scale of 1:25, 1:50, 1:75 or 1:100. (Planting Plans are the next stage.)

5. The final element of the design process are the Planting Plans and the Planting Maintenance and Care Schedules. This is an essential part of the process and requires careful consideration. Plants are selected to match the theme and requirements of the garden - both aesthetically and functionally - reflecting your preferences, the garden's location, soil types and light conditions. Great care is taken to ensure that the Planting Plans provide interest throughout the year. The number of plants are then presented as a list for costing and ordering purposes, and detailed Planting Maintenance and Care Schedules are produced so that you can care for the plants throughout the garden's lifecycle.

1. Your vision becomes a reality to use and enjoy for years to come.

A majority of people think that commissioning a professional garden designer will cost them a lot of money. In the long run the money is well spent and you may actually be surprised and how little it costs, compared to the overall total budget for a new garden.

I wish you all the best, and I hope the above is helpful.

Regards

Mark

mmac51 thanked Mark Lane Designs
  • Abi Jo
    8 years ago

Mark

How much do you charge for this service? Does it depend on garden size?

mmac51 thanked Abi Jo
  • PRO
    Mark Lane Designs
    8 years ago

Hi Abi Jo

I would rather talk about fees and the services I can provide in a more personal forum. If you could email me your email address and/or telephone I would love to have a chat. mark@marklanedesigns.com or visit my website for an online form www.marklanedesigns.com I look forward to hearing from you. Best regards Mark

• PRO
    Mark Lane Designs
    8 years ago

...or message me through Houzz. Regards

• PRO
    INsitu
    8 years ago
    Hi Abi Jo would you like to visualise the proposals before hand to get an idea, before you invest ? You can do so with my free app
    mmac51 thanked INsitu
  • PRO
    Lithic CIC
    8 years ago

Linsey Evans' suggestion of a firepit in a seating area would look spectacular in this setting and popular with all ages. Lithic produces natural stone firepits in kit form that are inherently safe to use and very attractive.

mmac51 thanked Lithic CIC
  • PRO
    INsitu
    8 years ago
    I've been exploring kebur's idea of a pergola
    mmac51 thanked INsitu
  • PRO
    INsitu
    8 years ago
    Hmm or Lindsay's idea of seating? With a fire pit too .... yep that can be done
  • PRO
    Linsey Evans Garden Design
    8 years ago

Here's a visual of a contemporary garden I've designed in Surrey that shows a circular sunken seating area in the corner with a circular pergola and central gas fire pit. It would work very well in this space if positioned looking out over the view.

mmac51 thanked Linsey Evans Garden Design
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Here's another garden I designed in Berkshire with a courtyard area and fireplace table. Would also work well in a less enclosed space.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I can also provide a design/3-D modelling service for you. It will allow you to see exactly how the whole garden will look before you go ahead with the landscaping.

• PRO
    IQ Outdoor Living
    8 years ago

Wow that is an amazing garden and view.

A pergola is a good idea to add a feature but for a more serviceable structure you could opt for a patio roof or garden roof.

Westridge Park · More Info

These aluminium roofs contain fully automated louvres so you can control whether your relaxation space is sunny of shaded depending on the day.

Treetops View · More Info

Another plus for the UK is that these roofs become watertight when the louvres are flat so you can use your outdoor space, and appreciate that view no matter the weather.

The Oak Deane · More Info

Let me know if you have any questions

www.umbris,uk

mmac51 thanked IQ Outdoor Living
  • PRO
    INsitu
    8 years ago

@umbris yes the patio roof with automated louvres, could work nicely

if you want we can experiment with seating underneath

mmac51 thanked INsitu
  • mmac51
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all your ideas we have started to add features.