Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexis_black4714029

Kitchen layout help needed... first time home builder

AA B
8 years ago

Hello,

My husband and I are building our first home and we are so confused with the kitchen layout. The space is 15.5 ft by 11.5 ft with an island. A large patio sliding door flanks the end of the kitchen.

I am worried about making the island larger (wider) in order to centre the large sink and accomodate a dishwaser and pull out garbage bins on either side. My worry is that I won't have enough clearance on either side of the island. I am also worried about having the wall oven right next to the counter depth fridge. Is this problematic from a practical perspective? I'd also like the island to be deeper if possible but not sure if it works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to critique away!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

You need at least 36” on all sides of an island to the cabinet counters or walls I would place the fridge where you have the shelves and plants and the fill the space where e you show the fridge with pull out pantry, I think the sink is in a great place as it gives you lots of free prep space and the DW fits beside it no problem that I can see.Please make all the base cabinets drawers where possible and a lazy susan would be great in the corner to the left of the stove, you could do a smaller sink and a 15” pullout cabinet for trash and recycling in the island. I find that I don’t want anymore garbage in my house than a small garbage can at one time so that works for me and most of my clients.

• PRO
    Laura S. Nine, ASID
    8 years ago
    You need 36-42" between the island and cabinets on all sides. If you do place the refrigerator in a corner be sure to have the cabinet makers install a filler strip to bring it out from the wall or your door won't open far enough to get the shelves and bins out to clean. It is not a problem that the sink isn't centered in the island.
  • shivece
    8 years ago
    We have a similar space and have the cooktop and oven angled in the corner near the frig and the compactor, sink and dishwasher on the wall under a window where you have the cooktop. Our island is all storage, except for the microwave, which is in the island across from the frig. It works pretty well, except for an occasional conflict between the frig and microwave. I have a lot of storage space considering we only have two useable walls and an island.
  • emilyam819
    8 years ago

You have a dead corner because of all the tall cabinets/appliances on the left wall. I would move the ovens to the place where you have the plant shelves. Then when you take food out of the fridge, you'll put it on the island, where it is ready to be washed, and then you'll cook at the stove using the counter to the left and right of it. If you moved the fridge to where the shelves are, all of your major appliances would be too close together with no counter space between them.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Maybe you should look at the drawing again there are counters on both sides of stove and on 1 side of fridge and if the door opens with hinges on the right side of the fridge there would not be a problem opening the door for cleaning and with the fridge where the shelves are you take veggies from the fridge directly to the sink for prep.